Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pollen filter, finding it :)

Options
  • 08-05-2008 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

There's a bit of a smell from my climate control system. I'd like to check the pollen filter as I'm a smoker and the car is 2 years old. My drivers manual says there is a pollen filter but I can't see where it is.

My car is 06 Seat leon 1.6, a mark 2. It's the same engine as the 1.6 VW Golf so the filter should be in the same place. Does anyone know where it is? Pictures of the location would be nice too :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

In my Astra, you take off out the Glove box and disconnect the light.

On the right hand side there is a long flap with two small nuts holding it into place, un do that and that off the flap carefull, as it has clips as well.

Pull out the old filter and replace with new one.

Righ VW garage or seat garage and just ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

;lift the bonnet, in the top right hand corner, directly underneath the windscreen you will see a plastic strip with 3 or 4 screws holding it in. the pollen filter is located in that place. You may need to pull back a rubber strip to pull out the pollen filter.
    You should buy a haynes manual, gives all of this sort of information.

This is on a 1.4 golf so i assume its similiar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If it is the same place as the Golf as Kaizersoze says be very careful, it is easy to crack the cover as it is a tight fit, that will mean water coming into the car and a whole heap of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If it is the same place as the Golf as Kaizersoze says be very careful, it is easy to crack the cover as it is a tight fit, that will mean water coming into the car and a whole heap of problems.

+1 - especially regarding the potential for serious water ingress. Seen it so many times.

EDIT : What kind of smell? The fact that you smoke will have no bearing on the pollen filter. This filter only filters air entering the cabin. Also be aware that it is normal for A/C systems to smell due to a build up of bacteria - this is particularly true if the A/C is used infrequently. The smell could also be down to a slight leak of R134 - the compressed gas in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Right, I had a good inspect of all around the firewall. There's a big lump of plastic, I didn't want to take that off as it's the full width of the windscreen.

I went to halfords and got Comma Air con cleaner and guess what? It works. There's no smell now. I'd still like to find my pollen filter as my car is due a service soon and I'm doing that myself.

In answer to Crosstownk's question, the smell was like stale water or urine. It became much worse when I went from Air con to Econ. It's true that I don't use the air con so much it burns petrol and saps some performance. The comma stuff works, I can recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

If you intend to hang onto the car for a good while and are going to do a lot of DIY I would recommend getting a copy of the workshop manuals, they are DVD based, see link below. I recently got the VW ones and they are good.

http://www.electronicmanuals.co.uk/?gclid=CJG8-frM0JICFRkR1AodgwVgIA

Advertisement