Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this possible?

Options
  • 08-05-2008 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

Would it be possible, to, rather than queue at the checkouts at a supermarket, walk up to the till, leave the exact amount for your goods in front of the cashier, and walk out.
    It's not shoplifting, as you're paying for the stuff. Is there any legal reason, why you couldn't do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Presumably that they would need to verify that they are receiving the correct amount. You could be paying based on invitation to treat rather than the correct price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

And where's you receipt, my son?

I left the money at the till, m'lud.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Blisterman wrote: »
    Would it be possible, to, rather than queue at the checkouts at a supermarket, walk up to the till, leave the exact amount for your goods in front of the cashier, and walk out.
    It's not shoplifting, as you're paying for the stuff. Is there any legal reason, why you couldn't do this?

I presume they would want to check
    1)that the amount of cash you left is equal to the amount of goods your taking
    2)that your not trying to take anything extra.

Also if you leave the premises before the sale has gone through i presume its stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Well yeah..the goods need to be scanned into the system??

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

From an organisation point of view Id say you cant because of the headache for both you and the shop. Their stock is screwed up, they dont know what exactly you bought. And you have no receipt and no comeback. But as for the legalities, I dont know. Even though I do this all the time at the local shop, lean in past the queue, hold up my item, say howaya Joe, and leave the money for him. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Highly doubt it. Under entreat to sale, you haven't bought it until the cashier agrees a price with you, despite whats written on the shelves.

Advertisement