Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Help

Options
  • 08-05-2008 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I am contemplating buying a bike.
    I work a mile or two from home so I could use it for that and I would be also interested in doing a couple of day long cycles during the summer months. It would have to be able for a bit of off road stuff as well, such as down the forest with mates etc.
    What I'm trying to say is an all rounder I suppose. I'm going away in a few months and wouldnt be bringing it with me so I think realistically it would be silly for me to spend any more than €300.
    So a cheap all rounder.
    Any suggestions on specific bikes or even the best place to get one? Are they cheap online? Or is a visit to Halfords in order?

I know very little about bikes so all help appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Forky wrote: »
    I am contemplating buying a bike.
    I work a mile or two from home so I could use it for that and I would be also interested in doing a couple of day long cycles during the summer months. It would have to be able for a bit of off road stuff as well, such as down the forest with mates etc.
    What I'm trying to say is an all rounder I suppose. I'm going away in a few months and wouldnt be bringing it with me so I think realistically it would be silly for me to spend any more than €300.
    So a cheap all rounder.
    Any suggestions on specific bikes or even the best place to get one? Are they cheap online? Or is a visit to Halfords in order?

I know very little about bikes so all help appreciated. Thanks!

the nearest thing to what you want is a cross country bike. for e300 new you will get somthing decent but will be a pain on a day long cycle.

i think the best spec new for around e300 is

saracen rufftrax2 or the carrera vulcan disc spec.

for e300 id try 2nd hand, try buy and sell, irish dh, epic mtb, etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Nice one Kona. Thanks.
    Had a look at reviews and the vulcan seems a good bike.

Any ideas where to get one though! I read Halfords had em, but didnt see it on their site. Went through some of the links in the stickied thread and couldnt find it in any sites. ???

EDIT: sorry i tell a lie. Just found it on Halfords. Although not in any big sizes, (id need a big size)

Another newbie question.
    The tyres on those cross country bikes seem massive (width wise). I will probably be on the road 90% of the time so would these be suitable?

Forky wrote: »
    Another newbie question.
    The tyres on those cross country bikes seem massive (width wise). I will probably be on the road 90% of the time so would these be suitable?

nope, the will be a pain, but you can buy slicks and interchange as you need to:)

i think that you will have to go into halfords and ask for what they have in stock, make sure you know exactly what you want though, depending on the halfords store you go to, they can be great or crap:o

Cheers Kona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Carrickmines is probably the best Halfords for bikes and accessories. (Loose use of the word best there).

AndyP wrote: »
    Carrickmines is probably the best Halfords for bikes and accessories. (Loose use of the word best there).

they do have quite a good selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

I find they have a poor selection of staff though, sort of place where you have to know what you want, I would be afraid to ask for help/advice.

AndyP wrote: »
    I find they have a poor selection of staff though, sort of place where you have to know what you want, I would be afraid to ask for help/advice.

ive only ever found the one in coolock good as regards to staff(was informed they can send suspension off to be tuned by TF:eek:), however they dont have the selection of carrickmines..........................boardman:D:D:D

suppose they are the kind of company with a large staff turnover, and in this country its hard to get people who actualy know about bikes, LCBs seem to have the same faces.

Advertisement