Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banoffi Pie

• 08-05-2008 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering would anyone know where i.e bakery or shop I could buy nice homemade Banoffi pie on the northside of Dublin. I live in Rush but would travel to any place preferably out my direction to but it. I am a crap cook and would make a disaster of it if I tried to make it myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭Archeron

Supervalu stores sell a pre packed banoffi log style cake which is bloody lovely, especially if you heat it up and then throw ice cream on it. Dont know the brand I'm afraid, but its a kind of fruit cake rectangular style shape and comes in a clear plastic wrapper. Mmmmm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Archeron wrote: »
    Supervalu stores sell a pre packed banoffi log style cake which is bloody lovely, especially if you heat it up and then throw ice cream on it. Dont know the brand I'm afraid, but its a kind of fruit cake rectangular style shape and comes in a clear plastic wrapper. Mmmmm.

Fruit cake ... heated? That doesn't sound like a banoffi pie.

OP, you say you're a rubbish cook, but banoffi is one of the easiest things to make. Get a pack of digestives, beat the shít out of them until they're crumbs. Melt butter and stir in the biscuit. Press into a greased dish and put in the oven.

Get a tin (or two) of condensed milk, put it in a saucepan of boiling water and leave for 2 hours, turning once. Let cool.

Slice a bunch of bananas. Whip some cream.

Take chilled biscuit base out of fridge. Open now-cooled tins of condensed milk, which have now turned to caramel. Spoon caramel onto biscuit, layer on bananas and spread the cream on top. Voila!

It can be a little dangerous to boil the tins of condensed milk, because they apparently can explode, so just keep an eye on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Faith wrote: »
    It can be a little dangerous to boil the tins of condensed milk, because they apparently can explode, so just keep an eye on it.

Oh Yes!

Make sure you keep the water topped up. If those tins boil dry they will explode! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I boiled 2 cans of condensed milk and took 3 hours to get it caramel like, I noticed in M&S you can buy a jar of soft caramel that would do just as good and probably cheaper than the electricity bill for boiling cans for 3 hours :o .Alternatively they sell banoffi already made, it's pretty dam good.

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

I just put the condensed milk straight out of the tin into the saucepan and stir continuously for a few minutes.. Does just fine..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Is it safe to put the tin in the pot and leave it for a few hours?

I have nightmares of it exploding all over my cream high gloss kitchen!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Quality wrote: »
    Is it safe to put the tin in the pot and leave it for a few hours?

I have nightmares of it exploding all over my cream high gloss kitchen!!

It says on the tins not to do it, and I'm not going to promote something that may be dangerous. I have done it in the past and it was fine as long as there was plenty of water. However, you do it at your own risk and I'd probably advise against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anonimouse

Cafe Provence in Malahide village do an amazing BP but I agree with the others, it's very easy to make. If you are concerned about the tin exploding there is a recipe on the side of the Carnation CM tins that you can make that doesn't involve keeping the tin closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LD8

Nestle now offers a caramel version of the condensed milk tin. I suppose you could use without cooking it first. Haven't tried it yet though....

Advertisement