Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specsavers

Options
  • 08-05-2008 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

I walked past specsavers recently, and there was a sign outside saying "2 for 1 on all designer sunglasses".

So, I went inside, saw a sweet looking pair of Ray Ban sunglasses, tried to buy two pairs, for the price of one. The assistant said that the offer didn't apply to Ray Bans.
    I pointed out that the sign said "all designer sunglasses". Still she refused. I asked to speak to the manager, who basically said that the sign was referring to Specsavers own "designer" brand sunglasses, and not designer, in the sense that any normal person, would understand it.

Surely, this is misleading advertising. I'd imagine, that nearly everyone, would take the term "designer sunglasses", to mean sunglasses made by designer labels, such as Ray Ban, or Dolce and Gabanna, rather then a crappy own brand, named "Designer".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

i suppose it would depend on how it was phrased, but personally i would have expected that to mean all designer sunglasses. although that does seem like a very good offer. if the sign itself said "specsavers" on it and then "2 for 1 designer sunglasses, they could probably get away with saying that it was an offer for "specsaver designer sunglasses" as there was no other brands of sunglasses referred to on the sign. its an awkward one. i really think it is how the sign is phrased though.

well, you should have gone to Specsavers......... oh wait, you did :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

"Specsavers" is hardly a designer brand though is it? I'd say you have a good case for a complaint to the ASAI. They'll do nothing, other than ask Specsavers to remove the sign and to not do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Don't they normally have small print at the bottom of the sign, with the terms and condition, which usually lists the brands excluded from the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is this the offer?
    2 for 1 inc. designer sunglasses
    Our 2 for 1 offer includes all designer brands

Terms and conditions
    Both pairs from the same price range or below to the same prescription. *1.5 uncoated lenses. Extra Options not included - see Clear Price pages for details. Cannot be used with any other offer. Offer ends 2 August 2008. SKU 24876889.

Nothing there to suggest exclusions. It even says "all designer brands."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sounds like fairly bad false advertising, or an inept manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Kahless wrote: »
    Is this the offer?

Terms and conditions

Nothing there to suggest exclusions. It even says "all designer brands."

That's the one. And there was no small print on the ad.

Advertisement