Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Interesting - 1 car 2 prices!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd buy up North rather than filling a middle man's pocket.

The savings could cover repairs if your buying without warranty from the Northern dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Never bought a vehicle in the south yet, all my cars have came from the north, recently bought a 03 Landcruiser for what I reckon was a saving of 7k and still got my warranty and that warranty has been upheld, recently had a problem with one of the rear seat belts, got a new one in for nothing.

Doesn't look like theres a middle man at all, just the same car for sale in both jurisdictions , presumably if its sold in the south the VRT will be done for you, for the small fee of 3 grand ;-)

Little wonder car prices are so expensive here, even if VRT was done away with I'm sure car dealers could still stick 30% on the price and it would still sell.

People are harping on about VRT/prices/etc and only one single reply to my post that clearly shows the savings to be made by going to the north or over the water.

And it just doesn't apply to cars, its everything, just finished building a house and a lot of the materials came from the north, bought all my white goods up there from the same place, 1.5k saved on a Rangemaster alone - and free delivery from 100 miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Often dealers quote the price seen as the retail price. I am fairly sure that if you went in to buy this car straight it would reduce the gap by maybe up to €1500. Could be wrong though.

Often dealers quote the price seen as the retail price. I am fairly sure that if you went in to buy this car straight it would reduce the gap by maybe up to €1500. Could be wrong though.

They are both dealers so both prices could possibly come down 1500 euro, so the gap is still the same.

When I say '1 car 2 prices' I mean just that, its the same car, not an identical one but the same car!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

with regard to buying up north or england, sounds great, but the only problem is trying to sell the car you have privately at the moment, its very difficult to sell down south at the moment, there's another thread on here about that, and it seems the 2nd hand market is currently dead, even if you drop the price to trade money, people still aren't buying. theres a lot of uncertainty in the car market because of VRT/Motor tax changes in july, i think people are waiting to buy after july.

a bit off topic, but thats my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

dp639 wrote: »
    They are both dealers so both prices could possibly come down 1500 euro, so the gap is still the same.

When I say '1 car 2 prices' I mean just that, its the same car, not an identical one but the same car!!

Good point. Didn't think about that TBH.:o

Advertisement