Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBAP and Silverlight

Options
  • 08-05-2008 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I have been making some prototype Silverlight 2 applications and have been very impressed with how strightforward it is to use.
    I'm also reading about XBAP.
    XBAP is a version of WPF which runs in a web browser and uses the isolated storage. It requires .net 3 to be installed on the client machine to run.
    Silverlight does not have as much of the functionality of WPF as XBAP. However it is cross-platform and only requires the Silverlight plugin to run.
    For example, Silverlight cannot make use of the same 3d features that XBAP can.
    I'm interested in where people see these technologies going. For example, do you think that Silverlight will supplant XBAP, or that XBAP will be used a lot in intranets where the install issues are not so relevant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Personally I see silverlight as a flash contender from MS. But it has a long way to go to get into those stakes. XBAP will probably take over as the internal stuff for the moment due to the .NET requirement.

I like WPF and using XAML. We are just playing about with storing a persons GUI in a DB which allows them to change the location of certain elements so that can personalise the app to their prefs and have it follow them to any machine. Its a windows client app. Its pretty good like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I think Silverlight is better from a coding perspective than Flash since it uses C#, and VS2008 is much better organized in that regard than Flash. I think Flash is better for animation (the Flash IDE seems better-organized in that regard anyway) and games (don't think there is collision detection in Silverlight yet for example).

I'm developing some prototypes for an application in Silverlight 2. The manner of deployment of the application being developed is being discussed, as well as the possibility of 3d features. So it is possible that the final version will be in xbap or wpf rather than Silverlight - or possible that 2 versions could be developed concurrently.

Does anyone know easy is it to reuse/convert code between Silverlight, xbap and wpf?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Have you looked at the Expression studio kit when doing Silverlight, you can story board away.. we are doing it instead of flash for our Sharepoint stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Ginger wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Expression studio kit when doing Silverlight, you can story board away.. we are doing it instead of flash for our Sharepoint stuff...

Yes I've been using the Blend ctp which is good I find. Haven't looked at the storyboard feature in it yet though. Also looked at the deepzoom composer tool which is impressive :)

According too the Silverlight forums it's easy to convert an app from Silverlight to xbap/wpf, but hard to go from xbap to Silverlight, since Silverlight is a subset of wpf.

Advertisement