Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test: Does Your ISP Slow Down BitTorrent Traffic?

Options
  • 08-05-2008 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

You can now test whether your ISP is throttling traffic

Test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Deadly, server seems to be in full use atm, I will try later on today/tonight. Thanks for the link :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

servers been busy all day!

anyway i'll save you the bother - the answer is.....YES!

The server says that it is busy because the OP supplied the link to his test. Use mine and you should be able to work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

The server says that it is busy because the OP supplied the link to his test. Use mine and you should be able to work fine.

Sorry about that :(

link removed, thanks for the other link ;)

• Advertisement

No problem, easy mistake to make :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Tired the simple test on NTL.
    No evidence of Bittorrent blocking. But then I've never noticed any blocking of it previously.

I am using your link it still says its busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭rav1410

I am using your link it still says its busy.

Same here

Interesting. Worked fine for me so I presumed that it was the OPs details causing the issue. My bad.

• Advertisement

I've also tried now all evening with no luck, sorry guys :confused:

Looking at it, they're most likely just overloaded at the minute - what with making Digg, reddit, torrent freak and a couple of other server thrashing sites :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Mr_Magpie

Its fairly obvious that Eircom does slow down BT traffic. It used to work perfectly for me about a year ago then one day I noticed that I couldn't connect properly. Now I download with slow speeds. uTorrent says that there's no incoming connections. I've gone through the port forwarding exercise but to no avail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have never noticed any interference by Smart. I doubt they are throttling - it's not the sort of thing they do.
    269271603.png

We are not talking about a standard speed test. We are talking about P2P traffic, specifically torrents, but no I doubt Smart throttle seeing as they have so few customers and so much bandwidth, I don't think it would be a big problem .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

This way posted to TorrentFreak and the Digg & Reddit a few days ago so the Server is yell dead.

http://torrentfreak.com/test-does-your-isp-slow-down-bittorrent-traffic-080507/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Managed to get a test done.
    Irish Broadband 3Mbhttps://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/107209/55817.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Mr_Magpie wrote: »
    Its fairly obvious that Eircom does slow down BT traffic. It used to work perfectly for me about a year ago then one day I noticed that I couldn't connect properly. Now I download with slow speeds. uTorrent says that there's no incoming connections. I've gone through the port forwarding exercise but to no avail.

I'm with Eircom and get full speed on my torrents when I pick the right well seeded ones. I'm running torrentflux on my server and using ports 40000 to 40010. I've never suspected interference. Have you tried a different port?

Has anyone else ever suspected interference by Eircom?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm with Eircom and get full speed on my torrents when I pick the right well seeded ones. I'm running torrentflux on my server and using ports 40000 to 40010. I've never suspected interference. Have you tried a different port?

Has anyone else ever suspected interference by Eircom?

I'm not with eircom so can't answer your question, sorry. But you made a very good point about ports, seeds, etc. Some ppl think they're getting throttled just because a torrent is slow but obviously this is not the case. You may have contention anyways depending on the time of day. Seeds may be the issue also. I was d/l a torrent one day with thousands of seeds and was getting chronic speeds <20kbps. I cancelled and choose a different one with less seeds and maxed out my connection. I know this doesn't make sense because you think the more seeds the faster, but what I'm trying to say is that there are a alot of factors aswell as your ISP involved before you think you're been throttled.

Oh yeah also I think it's a good idea to have a port over 40000. Heard that somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

kinda lame since you cant run a test as their server is busy 24/7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

With UPC and I usually get full speed instantly on most torrents (Only really use private trackers, so they're well seeded)
    90% of the time when people complain about their ISP throttling torrents, it's usually because they're getting them from a public site with a crappy ratio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

tman wrote: »
    90% of the time when people complain about their ISP throttling torrents, it's usually because they're getting them from a public site with a crappy ratio...

+1 QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

tman wrote: »
    With UPC and I usually get full speed instantly on most torrents (Only really use private trackers, so they're well seeded)
    These people probably dont have their ports forwarded correctly either. More often than not your router is blocking the speeds. I have that problem currently, but when exams are over, I will fix it. Never done it before, but we all need to learn sometime:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

AntiRip wrote: »
    I've also tried now all evening with no luck, sorry guys :confused:

Me too, but I know its a yes because its in there terms and conditions!!!
    with a Fair Usage Policy applicable to customers who are on unlimited usage.

Which means they'll hammer the torrents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

These people probably dont have their ports forwarded correctly either. More often than not your router is blocking the speeds. I have that problem currently, but when exams are over, I will fix it. Never done it before, but we all need to learn sometime:D

It only takes 2 minutes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Not when the router needs to be set to factory as my password is lost, and I have never done that before (port forwarding, static ip, etc.). Before a friend has always done it, who unfortunately ain't available:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The test passed OK on mine. Don't know why it all worked as I don't have port forwarding for router on any of the torrent ports it used.
    (1.5Mbps approx upload).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No throttling on Smart.
    * There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved minimal 2295 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved maximal 2982 Kbps.

I generally only use private trackers.

Are people able to use this yet?

• Advertisement
Advertisement