Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to do in Rome

• 08-05-2008 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Heading there in August...is it a nice city and is there stuff to do....also what;s the nighlife like there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Rome is an amazing city, ancient ruins at every turn!!!

Loads and loads to do my friend:

Sightseeing : Colusseum, Vatican City, Sistine Chapel, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Boca de la Verite etc etc

Food: Amazing pizza, wines, pasta and GELATO!!!! Yum yum - particularly loved the icecream in the Termini train station.

and Shopping!!!

I know that in the summer there are a load of pub crawls organised for students!!!!

It's one of my favourite cities without a doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Oooh Daisy i think you've convinced me!! :) Really looking forward it it now, thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Hey :)

Heading to Rome for 4 days in November. Does anyone have recommendations of things to do... or not do!

Are there any nice resterants anyone can recommend- or general advise?

Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Rome is a great city. It's not as ostentatious as the like of Paris or Vienna and most of the regular streets look pretty run down, but the iconic sights and sense of history everywhere more than make up for that.

All the major places to visit are so well known that i wont bother listing them here, bar a few favourites i recall.

The Spanish Steps and the narrow streets around it - the whole area is lovely and there are plenty of great cafes that you can sit outside (well, maybe not in November!) and watch the world go by while sipping a cup of real Italian coffee.

The Villa Borghese. City centre park full of ancient trees and monuments to famous Romans. My sister had her Wedding photographs taken in it.

Piazza Navona. A beautiful public space with really cool fountains and a pretty old church (which i can't remember the name of).

Trevi Fountain. Well you'll obviously go there at least once during your stay. Nice atmosphere particularly at night. Big crowds though, so watch out for pick pockets!

The Vatican. Most interesting museums, The Sistine Chapel is disappointingly small but the frescos are beautiful. The scale of St. Peter's is impressive. When you enter the basilica, everything is so well proportioned that you don't realise how big it is until you start to walk up the aisle. Have a look at the markers on the floor which show you the size of other great churches in comparison. Plenty of dead bodies on display in alcoves off it, if that's your thing. The crypt underneath is interesting. A good few Popes are down there.

Castle San Angelo. You'll see it as you cross the river going over to the Vatican. i liked it because it reminded me of a scene in Roman Holiday, which is a film you should watch before going.

=====

i haven't been to Rome in 10 years, but i doubt much has changed. It's a major tourist destination and the Romans are quick to take advantage. Watch out for taxi rip-offs and Restaurants with 1 price list for locals and another for tourists!

This recent article might be of interest: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/travel/2008/0906/1220628332130.html

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thumpette wrote: »
    Hey :)

Heading to Rome for 4 days in November. Does anyone have recommendations of things to do... or not do!

Are there any nice resterants anyone can recommend- or general advise?

Cheers :)

hiya,

honestly if you were to look at the travel forums [independent, youth & travel; travel & holidays; travel reports & reviews] you will easily find at least 6threads all on Rome with various reviews and reports and really helpful advice and they might be worth a look at also.

You definitely won't be disappointed in Rome, at any time of the year :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

St Peter's Square is breathtaking in it's perfection! Here you'll find all the marble that was taken from the Coliseum. If you want to go the Vatican Museum and see the Sistine Chapel you have to get there before noon as that's when admission closes. I went there around 10am and didn't get out until 4pm, that's how long it takes to go around if you are looking at a fair amount of what's on display. Unfortunately you can't take any photos in the Sistine Chapel but you can snap away in the Museum.

I would deffo recommend climbing to the top of St Peter's Basilica. The views of Rome from the top of the dome are fantastic up there and on a clear day you can see for miles!

The Coliseum and Roman Forum are a must see in my opinion. When I went there if you brought your passport you got a discount for being an EU citizen. Not sure if they still do this. Also you can use the one ticket for both sites.

Entrance into the Vittorio Emmanuelle palace is free. At different times there are different events going on here. When I was there there was some exhibition to do with WWII. Again if you go to the top of the palace you can get some great views of ancient and "modern" Rome side by side.

Entrance to the Pantheon is also free, this is the best preserved building from Ancient Rome and is now used as a Catholic Church.

Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, La Bocca della Verite... countless little monuments you'll come across here and there... it's all a must!

The only thing I wouldn't recommend if the Circus Maximus. Nothing remains of it now, it's just a large green area where people like to walk teir dogs. Not worth going out of your way for.

Eating out is reasonable, expect to pay €8 - €10 for a dish of pasta of varying qualities. Eat where the locals eat is the only advice I can give!

Don't forget to try some gelato. YUM! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Randy Savage

Hello,

Heading to ROME at the end of March for a week with the girlfriend, were in our early to mid twenties.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on things to do/see, any tips advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moved from Travel & Holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

* The Roman Colosseum - Vespasian began construction of this massive colosseum in AD 72. Upon completion eight year later, it could seat 50,000 spectators who came to watch bloody battles between gladiators and wild beasts from home and abroad. Since its inauguration, it has held a special place in the hearts of Romans and has served different purposes including a botanical garden. Now included on the New Seven World Wonders list, the Colosseum begins Rome’s must see list.

* Palatine and the Roman Forum – Constructed over 900 years, the Roman Forum once held the distinction of commercial, political and religious epicentre. Strolling this immense area allows your mind to comprehend the magnitude of the Roman Empire and the tremendous power the emperors held. Now largely ruins, Rome’s ancient city was in effect dismantled by medieval Romans in the name of progress in order to recycle bricks for new constructions elsewhere in the city.

* Vatican and the Sistine Chapel – The Vatican City, the smallest independent state in the world has its own post office, guard and train station. To this day St. Peter’s Basilica, at the heart of the Vatican City remains the central church of Catholicism. St. Peter is believed to be buried under the building which has been adorned over the centuries with exquisite art including Michelangelo’s Pieta. The Sistine chapel, constructed in 1484 to be used as the conclave that elects popes, contains two pieces of art of unspeakable beauty, Michengelo’s frescoes on the barrel-vaulted ceiling, which took the artist over four years to complete and his last judgement on the end wall completed over thirty years later. Whether you are a Catholic or not it’s a sin not to visit the Sistine Chapel during a tour of Rome.

* Trevi Fountain – Rome’s streets overflow with fountains of various degrees of craftsmanship. As much a marvel in architecture as they are art, all the water pumped into this fountain comes from the city’s earliest aqueducts. The fountain dominates a tiny square and, according to custom, if you throw a coin over your shoulder into the water you’re guaranteed a return visit to Rome – not that you’ll need an excuse to go back.

* The Catacombs - These underground corridors and passageways were built as a communal burial ground. While mainly Christian, there are some Jewish and pagan catacombs. The most famous of the Christian catacombs are those along the Via Appia Antica. A short bus ride brings you just outside the city where the street is often closed to cars on Sundays allowing for a leisurely stroll and time to soak in the history of the most famous catacomb, San Callisto as well as smaller ones such as the catacombs of San Sebastiano.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Beware the taxi drivers....can't stress it enough. If you're paying them hold the money in your hand until they get the change out...and never let them carry your luggage up front with them, or they'll threaten to 'abduct' it if you won't cough up the 50 yoyo for the round the block trip they took you on :(

Went to a wedding there last year and this happened to me and some of the lads who were with the party. I got mugged too, but that happens anywhere lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you're going to stay anywhere, try Trastevere, it's cheap as chips, and has lots of restaurants down winding side streets with a real Italian atmosphere, and within walking distance of all the usual sights, my trip to Rome's below on my blog if you're interested :

http://owenkelly.com/blog/2007/11/rome-italy-2007.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 zemphis

There are so many amazing things to see in Rome. I would agree with biko's suggestions. Though I found that the Trevi fountain can get very busy and I found that this took away somewhat from it.

A few tips about minimizing queuing, instead of going straight to the Colosseum, go to The Palentine Hill first and get a joint ticket. This allows you to skip the main queue at the Colosseum and there is usually a much shorter queue at The Palentine. Also when going to the Vatican, try and go around midday-ish and again the queue is much smaller and moves a lot quicker. The queue first thing in the morning is absolutely ridiculous!

Another site I would recommend is Castello de Sant'Angelo, which at the top give a magnificent view of the city. We went in the early evening and it was lovely and quiet - a nice break from some of the busier sites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

and for you

22/03/09 at the Olympico

Roma - Juventus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hello,

Heading to ROME at the end of March for a week with the girlfriend, were in our early to mid twenties.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on things to do/see, any tips advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Hey! A suggestion from the outset would be to do a search on Rome (site map + search) ... the topic/area has been covered numerous times in several circumstances you are bound to find more information in threads like:
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055276241&highlight=Rome
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055395581&highlight=Rome
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055388010&highlight=Rome
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055351168&highlight=Rome
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055343813&highlight=Rome
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055342566&highlight=Rome
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055337907&highlight=Rome

some really good tips and advice in those threads also but as I said their are more under a search. Hope you enjoy your trip. I can't recommend the city enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Randy Savage

Sweet, thanks a mil everyone some really great insights, really looking forward to seeing Rome now. Does anyone know if it is easy to get tickets for the football over there, was in Barca last year got tickets to Barca v Betis no problem at the ticket box in Nou Camp day before game, was great bit since Roma are playing Juventus might be tough???

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

Don't know about the footie sorry.
    I love the place but one word of warning about Rome, is that there is no night life (except rugby weekends).
    I'd recommend to anyone to go there but just bear in mind that if you get the chance for a good night out, take it as they are rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

GeeNorm wrote: »
    Don't know about the footie sorry.
    I love the place but one word of warning about Rome, is that there is no night life (except rugby weekends).
    I'd recommend to anyone to go there but just bear in mind that if you get the chance for a good night out, take it as they are rare.

I would have to disagree about the statement about there being no night life in Rome. There is great night life in Rome, you just need to know where to find it.

The best place to find it is in Campo di Fiori. This is located just beside Piazza Navona. There is good bars and a nightclub here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Best bit of advice I can give is to bring comfy walking shoes/runners and see as much as you can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭BlackandGold

Okay guys heading to Rome for a week, any tips?

Never been to Italy before so would appreciate any tips or advice on where to go etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The Vatican Museum. All of it. Not just the sistine chapel. The chapel is a great finale but the whole thing is awesome. I was not a big fan of Peter's basilica, climbing to the top was very claustrophobic.
    You can get beer in the Mc. Donalds next to the Pantheon. It's cheaper than the other 5 rip off cafes in the square.
    Get one of those pop-up maps. It doesnt really matter where you go TBH. It's all beautiful.
    Oh and the food. Eat your weight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Best City in the world, best food, best wine and stunning architecture. We're going there later in the year, our 8th time there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. HTH. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

You can't not run out of things to do.

Turn around a corner... oh look, the colluseum etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

If you knew how much I weighed, believe me, you wouldn't be giving me that advice!!! Lol

Yaeh I know it's an amazing city, I just don't want to come back and realise "Oh I wish we'd planned this/done this" blah blah blah

I got one of those pop up map guides. Great little maps for some of the streets and a breakdown of all the things to do there. Seriously though I wouldn't worry too much about lack of planning. You'll just fall into the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Been a few times now, great city. Get on one of the open top buses. They are not too expensive and a great way to see the city. Get a pass that lasts for a couple of days and you can hop on and off at as many sites as you want.
    I'm not really religous but I think the Vatican is a magnificent place and a must see when you are there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Folks, Im heading there in about 3 weeks. Ive heard of mad queues getting into the likes of the Collesseum. Would it be worth booking a tour to avoid the queues?

Folks, Im heading there in about 3 weeks. Ive heard of mad queues getting into the likes of the Collesseum. Would it be worth booking a tour to avoid the queues?

Bump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

get there early before the first tours of the morning start (worked for me) but then again that was january, queueing in the august heat in rome is not fun

rossie1977 wrote: »
    get there early before the first tours of the morning start (worked for me) but then again that was january, queueing in the august heat in rome is not fun

I hear ya. And I dont think Im much good at queues at the best of times!!! Ill take a look online and see what comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spongebobx

Pre-book for the Vatican on-line and you'll waltz past hunderds in the queues.

spongebobx wrote: »
    Pre-book for the Vatican on-line and you'll waltz past hunderds in the queues.

Where do you book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Awful Scut Mk2

A lot of people miss the catacombs. They're a bit difficult to get to - you have to go to a particular part of the city to get a bus out there. But they're definitely one of the highlights of Rome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Hallo World

I hear ya. And I dont think Im much good at queues at the best of times!!! Ill take a look online and see what comes up.

look for the guys and girls with brollys outside the colleseum.. I did it last year, we gave em the entrance fee and they took us past the q's and gave us earpieces.. only way to go... might've cost us a fiver in a tip.. very entertaining though..

if ya like wandering round ruins in peace.. go out to ostia antica on the coast, its about a 20 min train journey followed by a 15 min walk straight out of the station.. ancient port town.. spent 3 hrs wandering round it and when we headed back to hotel we realised we'd only covered a 1/3 of it!!!.. but fascinating all the same.. (the bar they had in ancient times is still there.. complete with sinks and mosaics on the wall of the food they served)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Hi everyone,

Long time viewer,first time poster,so hope some of you can help me...

I have organised a surprise trip to Rome in a couple of weeks for my other half . We are staying in the Radisson and as neither of us have been to Rome Im wondering if this hotel is in the middle of Rome or will we need to get taxis to see some of the sights. Also, I will need a very special/romantic restaurant for us to go to on the Saturday night.Can anyone suggest such a top class place in or around where the Radisson is situated. As we are only there for half day Fri and full day Sat, and I love shopping,can anyone suggest a decent shopping mall,for clothes like jeans,tops in Rome. Do the open top tourist buses cover all the sights and how much is it for the day and will I need to bring our winter coats? What temperature will it be in the middle of December in Rome?

Reading back over this, Id imagine that alot of folks might think Im lazy and I should go and find out this info myself but believe me,Im not great when it comes to the internet,and I have tried but I just cant get the answers ,so thats when I came onto Boards to seek help. Its hard keeping this from himself let alone getting the info I need to make sure we have an amazing weekend away.
    Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me..

Walking from hotel (if it's the one on Via Filippo Turati) to Colosseum, 22 mins
    Most things will be within walking distance, or you can get a taxi. The hotel will have a map and will be happy to help you get anywhere you want to go.
    The Vatican Museum. All of it. Not just the sistine chapel. The chapel is a great finale but the whole thing is awesome. I was not a big fan of Peter's basilica, climbing to the top was very claustrophobic.
    You can get beer in the Mc. Donalds next to the Pantheon. It's cheaper than the other 5 rip off cafes in the square.
    Get one of those pop-up maps. It doesnt really matter where you go TBH. It's all beautiful.
    CSC wrote: »
    Been a few times now, great city. Get on one of the open top buses. They are not too expensive and a great way to see the city. Get a pass that lasts for a couple of days and you can hop on and off at as many sites as you want.
    I'm not really religous but I think the Vatican is a magnificent place and a must see when you are there.

Weather will be a mild 10°C and mostly cloudy with rain. Do bring a warm jacket if you plan to sit in an open bus.

weather_statistics.jpg

I've merged this thread with some earlier similar threads so you can read previous suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

hi!
    I need HELP! I have never been to Rome, Im going in Jan, could anyone please recommend me affordable accomadation that is centrally located and close to all sights,
    thank u so much

Close to all sites would be Hotel Trevi

GeneralC wrote: »
    hi!
    I need HELP! I have never been to Rome, Im going in Jan, could anyone please recommend me affordable accomadation that is centrally located and close to all sights,
    thank u so much

It would help if you could define "affordable". Most people would have a different POV on what affordable is :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I also need help with finding accomadation Ideally Id like to pay as little as possible but my budget is around 200-270 for 3 nights in a decent well located hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Heading to Rome later tonight, flying into Ciampino. Anyone know what the easiest way to Termini is? Our hotel is very close by but I want to avoid taxis if at all possible.

Should be a direct bus from Ciampino to the termini which should take you right there.

Terravision buses will take you to Termini. You can book them online. There is also the local bus service if you are adventurous.

http://www.terravision.eu/rome_ciampino.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Thanks. Turns out our hotel is right by a metro stop. Anyone used the COTRAL bus service that links to the first metro stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭spear thrower

Hello there i am sure a lot of you lovely Boards members are sick to death giving advice on Rome but just this one time could you please share a small bit of your Rome wisdom with the Spear Thrower.. i will be forever grateful..

Myself and my girlfriend have visited a lot of beautiful cities but its our first time visiting Rome.. We are heading over in a couple of weeks for 2 nights(3 full days) and my dilemma is that 3 days is far from enough(i think) to see this wonderful city(we are both mid 20s).. So what would you suggest is a must do in Rome? Sightseeing, Restaurants, Pubs/Bars etc..(cant really get a good judgement off Trip advisor)

We're staying in the Welrome hotel which i booked as it was recommended on Trip Advisor.. Has anyone stayed here that would like to give us a heads up how they rated it?..

Again thanks a million!!!:):D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

first off bars and pubs in rome are on the poor side especially in or around the centre, there is a handful of ok places but don't expect anything like we have here

as for sights, st peters/vatican are obvious must dos, Spanish Steps, trevi fountain, forum, Pantheon, Colosseum (get there early to avoid the lines)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moved from T&H

Merged with general Rome thread so we don't have to reinvent the wheel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Rome certainly is brillant city once you visit you will want to return again and again.Visting the vatican booking online http://www.vatican.va is a must do especially if you intending to visit during the summer months and really at most other times it is advisable.

July and August are very warm months in Rome.
    In August nearly all of the locals abandon the city for nearby holiday homes/beaches to escape the heat so in that month especially nearly everyone around will be a tourist.

If there is any first time visitors to Rome looking for information that you cant find on the internet PM me as i can get that information for you as i have family living in Rome and luckly have been several times myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement