Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic light scenario

Options
  • 08-05-2008 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I have attached a picture of 2 traffic lights. The one on the left shows all lights lit up.

However, today, I came across lights that were lit like the one on the right. There is a yello box in the junction. I was first in Q and I went into the box waiting to turn right. Since no cars were coming ahead, I proceeded to turn. Would I fail in a test because the right filter lights were red? Aren't you supposed to turn right if there is no traffic ahead (or is this a special case becasue there are filters?)

lightsfo7.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭pinkmonkey

Yes you would have failed. You must wait until the filter light goes green!!! The fact that there is no traffic coming does not matter...Mind you I often see people turning right even though the filter light is red....Idiots!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The lights would appear to be incorrect. There should be a green "straight ahead" arrow (and possible a "turn left" green arrow), not a general green light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

The lights would appear to be incorrect. There should be a green "straight ahead" arrow (and possible a "turn left" green arrow), not a general green light.

+1

If the green light on the left is an arrow going straight ahead then you should not have turned right for any reason.

If the green light on the left is a full green light then I can see no reason for not turning right. There is a set of lights like that near me and there is absolutely no problem turning right on a full green light

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

As far as I remember it is a general green light. So if it was a general light, are you saying you could turn right even if the filter light was red?

p.s. if you want to find out, it is the lights where you turn right for Alfie Byrne road coming from Fairview

j1979p wrote: »
    So if it was a general light, are you saying you could turn right even if the filter light was red?
    In that situation, the lights would have been fitted incorrectly and although a motorist would be obliged to proceed with caution, it is highly unlikely that any legal action would succeed.

It is also highly unlikely that a driving test would be routed through anywhere that is controversial. In any case, where there is a discrepency, the candidate is given the benefit of any doubt.
    j1979p wrote:
    it is the lights where you turn right for Alfie Byrne road coming from Fairview
    That's interesting. I have a vague recollection about a thread on those lights before. I think it was in the general Motors Forum.

• Advertisement

j1979p - I'm afraid it's a case of "should've went to Specsavers"! :p

I was heading to Dublin Port this afternoon so I took the liberty of checking it out. All is in order and not how you have described.

1. A green arrow indicating that traffic may only proceed in the direction of that arrow - i.e. straight ahead. Traffic wishing to turn right must wait in the 3rd (righthand) lane for a green 'turn right' arrow or a general green light if available.

ABR1.jpg

2. The Passat driver here makes an illegal move as he does not have a green "turn right" arrow.

ABR2.jpg

3. Traffic may proceed straight or turn right.

ABR3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,827 ✭✭✭SeanW

your pics were all deleted.

SeanW wrote: »
    your pics were all deleted.
    It seems that I'm having a lot of problems with photobucket!

ABR1.jpg

ABR2.jpg

ABR3.jpg

Ha ha, thanks wishbone. Does seem a bit stupid for that Passat to be waiting there with that stretch of empty road but rules are rules. Wonder why some places have these lights while most don't?

• Advertisement

Does seem a bit stupid for that Passat to be waiting there with that stretch of empty road but rules are rules. Wonder why some places have these lights while most don't?
    Imagine if there was just the standard green circular light and it was 8.30am on a Monday morning. Most vehicles wishing to turn right wouldn't have a chance as there would be a continuous stream of traffic coming into town. The first 1 or 2 might be able to squeeze through after the lights have gone red but there would be long tailbacks waiting to turn onto the Alfie Byrne Road.

I don't know much about the technical aspect of traffic light programming and sensors but it does seem that it could be improved.

Imagine if there was just the standard green circular light and it was 8.30am on a Monday morning. Most vehicles wishing to turn right wouldn't have a chance as there would be a continuous stream of traffic coming into town. The first 1 or 2 might be able to squeeze through after the lights have gone red but there would be long tailbacks waiting to turn onto the Alfie Byrne Road.

I don't know much about the technical aspect of traffic light programming and sensors but it does seem that it could be improved.

No, I don't mean that. I understand where there are such things as filter lights. It's fairly obvious. What I mean is, why don't they allow cars to turn right when there is a gap in the traffic (before the filter comes on)? Most filter light junctions are like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

There is a set of lights just like this in Galway. It's on the way out the Dublin road, near Renmore if anybody knows it? I'm 99% certain the green light that comes up is a general green light and not a straight ahead arrow.

My guess is it's just an incorrectly fitted light that should be an arrow - that would seem to make more sense anyway. There's no reason I can see why you couldn't turn right if there's no oncoming traffic - but it is a very busy road. Almost always the right turn filter has come on before all the oncoming traffic is gone anyway.

I'm never sure so I wait for the right filter to come on - been beeped at from behind for it of course! :D

Congoose wrote:
    There is a set of lights just like this in Galway
    If they have a general green light then they are not like the lights pictured above.
    Congoose wrote: »
    I'm never sure so I wait for the right filter to come on - been beeped at from behind for it of course! :D
    The reason the cars behind are 'beeping' you is because you should be making your right turn if there is no oncoming traffic. It's very frustrating to have to wait behind those who insist on waiting for the filter arrow when there is a general green light!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Ha ha, thanks wishbone. Does seem a bit stupid for that Passat to be waiting there with that stretch of empty road but rules are rules. Wonder why some places have these lights while most don't?

No it's no stupid, take a look at the pics again. The most likely reason that cars weren't allowed turn right in this situation is because the pedestrian lights there would have been green. Happens all the time with idiot unobservant drivers turning right or left on red in such a situation when people are crossing the road on a green pedestrian light.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

If they have a general green light then they are not like the lights pictured above.

Oh no, what I meant is that they are the same as the lights on the right of the diagram posted by the OP, not the ones in the photograph. So it's a general green light accompanied by a red light to the right of it.
    It's very frustrating to have to wait behind those who insist on waiting for the filter arrow when there is a general green light!

I often come across this too - I know how frustrating it is, believe me!!

Advertisement