Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

utv broadband cancellation

Options
  • 08-05-2008 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

ordered utv phone/broadband package and got the email to say the account was activated,
    four weeks later and a lot of phone calls later still no modem so i contacted them by email to see what was going on, two days later i get a reply to say the dispatch lost the modem and they would send another, i replied the same day to tell them not to bother as i was tierd of all the messing and would get broadband elsewhere ,but i would keep the phone package with them, two days later the guy arrives with the modem and we refuse to take it as we had cancelled it,
    i get the bill for march and there is an extra charge of 99euro for a modem and cancellation charge,
    bottom line is they are going to refund the 40 euro for the modem but still charge me the cancellation fee of 60 euro,
    and i never even got to use their broadband service,,,,
    told me that was the final decision and if i wasn't happy i should contact complaints dept
    im still a phone customer with them as im afraid if i cancell that there will be another charge!!!

your thoughts please...........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

You cancelled because they didn't deliver the service, not just because you changed your mind. They didn't provide a bad service, but no service. Contact complaints in the first instance and then Comreg and the small claims court. I do not think there is cancellation charge for the phone service, but check the terms and conditions on the website.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Four weeks is a long time for them to take to realise that a modem had been lost:rolleyes:

Write to them (an old fashioned letter!!) formally detailing step by step exactly what happened.

Include copies of your emails to them particularly the one cancelling the service.

Point out that you cancelled because they did not provide a service to you and that in fact you requested them to provide this service to you on many occasions over the telphone thereby providing them with ample opportunity to correct any failures on their part. I presume they charged you for the monty that you were waiting?

Point out that you are formally requesting a refund (or cancellation) of the charges and if this is not done you will report them formally to Comreg and lodge a claim with the small claims court.

If you pay by direct debit it may be worth asking your bank to reverse the charges if UTV have debited you already. Bring your documentation along to the bank. By the way under the direct debit scheme it formally states that a disputed charge should not be debited - don't forget to point this out to your bank. You could also try reporting UTV to ipso thats of coure if a direct debit is involved. www.ipso.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Talk to their complaints, the problem is they have to pay Eircon if the BB account was enabled regardless, however as they took so long with the modem its really their fault. Ive found them very easy to deal with if you get the right person on the phone( they have a lot of idiots working there but also some very very helpful people ). Make sure you talk to someone with a northern accent otherwise youll get the by the book response

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Talk to their complaints, the problem is they have to pay Eircon if the BB account was enabled regardless,..........h a northern accent otherwise youll get the by the book response

No its not 'the problem' its their problem pure and simple and its not a reason to attempt to foist charges on a customer particularly as the customer concerned had pointed out their failure to provide a service.

The dilemna in this case is that UTV will probably refuse to release the line unless the charges are paid so the poster needs to get their act together on this quickly.

Come to think of it its amazing that UTV did not attempt to blame Eircom for the delay in delivering the modem!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

It should be in your T&Cs in the termination section - that you have the right to cancel the service if they, UTV, do not meet their obligations of the contract - namely, to provide a service.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    No its not 'the problem' its their problem pure and simple and its not a reason to attempt to foist charges on a customer particularly as the customer concerned had pointed out their failure to provide a service.

The dilemna in this case is that UTV will probably refuse to release the line unless the charges are paid so the poster needs to get their act together on this quickly.

Come to think of it its amazing that UTV did not attempt to blame Eircom for the delay in delivering the modem!:p
    By what i said, the problem is with every ISP, regardless of what their customers do, those ISPS must pay a disconnection fee to eircon, regardless of how you look at is thats where any problem emanates from. Yes utv messed up, and theyre charging 60quid, but only as standard policy because Eircon are f***ig ****s that insist on it

Im in the same boat because i have 64kbit upload on a 3mb download connection. My BB is $hit and unusable for what i got it for, i.e. work and games, but Eircon have stated my line is fine because upload rate is adaptive. UTV said they have to charge 60euro because Eircon require it even though its Eircons fault

By what i said, the problem is with every ISP, regardless of what their customers do, those ISPS must pay a disconnection fee to eircon, regardless of how you look at is thats where any problem emanates from. Yes utv messed up, and theyre charging 60quid, but only as standard policy because Eircon are f***ig ****s that insist on it

Im in the same boat because i have 64kbit upload on a 3mb download connection. My BB is $hit and unusable for what i got it for, i.e. work and games, but Eircon have stated my line is fine because upload rate is adaptive. UTV said they have to charge 60euro because Eircon require it even though its Eircons fault

No. UTV's pricing decisions are their own not Eircoms. How an isp deals with the wholesale prices it faces and its pricing structure is a matter for itself and not Eircom. Other isps do not have the termination charge that UTV do except where a contract is terminated in advance. If UTV mess up and cannot get a modem to a person despite that persons constant reminders thats their problem. You should not have to pay for their incompetence.

Are you sure that in the first place your line is capable of 3Mb? How far are you from the exchange? What are your line stats?

No. UTV's pricing decisions are their own not Eircoms. How an isp deals with the wholesale prices it faces and its pricing structure is a matter for itself and not Eircom. Other isps do not have the termination charge that UTV do except where a contract is terminated in advance. If UTV mess up and cannot get a modem to a person despite that persons constant reminders thats their problem. You should not have to pay for their incompetence.

Are you sure that in the first place your line is capable of 3Mb? How far are you from the exchange? What are your line stats?
    thats basically what i said with both posts combined

Yeah, im f***** with the whole BB, i have 3mb download, ok, synches to 2.8 or 2.4mbit/s and only 64kbit upload( or 8Kbyte ). Tried uploading a 16meg file to rapid share earlier, 63 minutes, lmfao, what a joke

im just under 2km from the switch. my local SNR and remote SNR are terrible, 5 and 6 lmao. Eircon statement - "Line is fine, its adaptive". It can also take me upto 3 hours to get an adsl synch. Tried 3 routers, 3 new 3 feet phone cables, rewired phone socket, tested with test socket, no joy. 1% of the time ill get proper 384kbit upload

Wouldnt mind line was only installed 3 months ago( after i waited for 6 months to install and had to complain to comreg to eventually get it installed as Eircon gave a date of march 2009 when i ordered in august 2007 lmao )

Ive given up, the only alternative we have is to move in a few months, great country grrrrr

log Local Tx Power: 12.13 dB
    Remote Tx Power: 19.44 dB
    Local Line Atten.: 30.0 dB
    Remote Line Atten.: 27.0 dB
    Local SNR Margin: 6.0 dB
    Remote SNR Margin: 7.0 dB
    Self Test: Passed
    DSL Standard: G.dmt
    Trellis Coding: Enable
    Framing Structure: Framing-3

Config Data Up Down
    Intrlvd Fast Intrlvd Fast
    AS0(kbps): - - 2368 0
    AS1(kbps): - - 0 0
    LS0(kbps): 64 0 - -
    LS1(kbps): 0 0 - -
    RValue: 8 0 12 0
    SValue: 8 1
    DValue: 1 8

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

just to clarify, origanally i was just a phone customer with eircom (no broadband)
    when the origanal application went into utv the line was activated about a week later, 4 weeks after line activation still no modem!

update
    letter of complaint sent to utv on the 8th outlining everything, (ticket number assigned)
    contacted them again on the 12th to ask if they could proivide me with the name of the person dealing with the complaint,

we wait in hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Yeah, im f***** with the whole BB, i have 3mb download, ok, synches to 2.8 or 2.4mbit/s and only 64kbit upload( or 8Kbyte ). Tried uploading a 16meg file to rapid share earlier, 63 minutes, lmfao, what a joke

im the same. my upload to rapidshare is about 64kb/s all the time. never goes any higher no matter what time of the day.

downloads are fine. maxing out at about 3 - 4mb/s.

im on 6mb package so my upload should be 512kb.

• Advertisement

im the same. my upload to rapidshare is about 64kb/s all the time. never goes any higher no matter what time of the day.

downloads are fine. maxing out at about 3 - 4mb/s.

im on 6mb package so my upload should be 512kb.
    no, thats correct, youre uploading 64kilobytes, which is 512kilobits which is what broadband is measured in( i.e. 8bits in a byte, so 8x64bytes = 512kilobits )

I on the other hand get an upload of 8kbyte, i.e. 64kilobit lol. Tried uploading a 16meg file on rapidshare, estimated time = 73minutes lmao. Gotta love narrow band, sorry broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

No. UTV's pricing decisions are their own not Eircoms. How an isp deals with the wholesale prices it faces and its pricing structure is a matter for itself and not Eircom. Other isps do not have the termination charge that UTV do except where a contract is terminated in advance.

Unfortunately that is not the way it works.

ALL ISPs under the eircom network will need to pay a standard fee.

In fact, just to provide the service will cost the ISP a standard fee of 30 euros (with the exception of some VC products and Line Sharing which is ~140-180 euros)

Regarding ceases the ISP may choose one of two contract options: a minimum term per Bitstream port or no minimum term but a cease fee per Bitstream port (standard 60 euros fee).

Line Sharing is even more expensive.

So, in this case, as you decided to cancel the service after the cool off period, UTV will need to pay Eircom a cancellation fee. This happens to all ISPs.

Sucks doesnt it?

lmimmfn

Both your upload and download rates are wrong. Eircom will always reply to you with ADSL is a Rate Adaptive product, is the way they look at slow speeds.

How you asked UTV to run a PSTN line test? If you have already and it was green and as you have already tested with a different modem my advice will be to check your internal wiring (filters too)

Bohrio wrote: »

lmimmfn

Both your upload and download rates are wrong. Eircom will always reply to you with ADSL is a Rate Adaptive product, is the way they look at slow speeds.

How you asked UTV to run a PSTN line test? If you have already and it was green and as you have already tested with a different modem my advice will be to check your internal wiring (filters too)
    yep, 1% of the time i can get correct upload and download speeds, its absolutely horrible, and annoying, sometimes if i reset the router it takes over an hour sometimes 2 to DSL snych lol

Do you mean PSTN line test from the premises via a technician or remotely? they've got Eircon to run PSTN line tests and apparently they all pass, the 5 times that i logged a call with utv and they rang me back after getting eircom to check and clear the line

Ive done all the internal wiring. Tried:
    1 - 3 different 3 foot long phone cables into model( 2 of which i bought new just to check )
    2- used ADSL test socket( removing the phone socket cover ), same adsl synch results after several synchs
    3- rewired the phone socket again tidying up the original job( they connected the other house phone sockets into the plug also, i removed this just so it was only the 2 phone wires for the phoneline connected directly to the socket )
    4 - As i said, i tried with other modems too
    5. Tried with/without filters and 2 different filters

Absolutely nothing will work to up the ADSL synch, on top of that i get regular 25% packet loss, 2000ms pings, Contineous PPP failures to get ip address( lasts upto 30 minutes sometimes ), also i get 1000's of framing errors from the switch. Also it always synchs down, i.e. will start at 2.8mbit/sec download/64kbit upload, that will work for 2-3 minutes, then synch failure/reset/and will eventually resynch at 2.4mbit/sec download/64kbit upload

Its a complete mess, and has seriously pi$$ed me off as ive spent a hell of a lot of time investigating the fault, checking out different things, sitting for hours with no broadband waiting for it to connect when i need to send emails or whatever

Its at the stage now that i never ever reset the router as i know my net connection probably wont be back for at least an hour

yep, 1% of the time i can get correct upload and download speeds, its absolutely horrible, and annoying, sometimes if i reset the router it takes over an hour sometimes 2 to DSL snych lol

Do you mean PSTN line test from the premises via a technician or remotely? they've got Eircon to run PSTN line tests and apparently they all pass, the 5 times that i logged a call with utv and they rang me back after getting eircom to check and clear the line

Ive done all the internal wiring. Tried:
    1 - 3 different 3 foot long phone cables into model( 2 of which i bought new just to check )
    2- used ADSL test socket( removing the phone socket cover ), same adsl synch results after several synchs
    3- rewired the phone socket again tidying up the original job( they connected the other house phone sockets into the plug also, i removed this just so it was only the 2 phone wires for the phoneline connected directly to the socket )
    4 - As i said, i tried with other modems too
    5. Tried with/without filters and 2 different filters

Absolutely nothing will work to up the ADSL synch, on top of that i get regular 25% packet loss, 2000ms pings, Contineous PPP failures to get ip address( lasts upto 30 minutes sometimes ), also i get 1000's of framing errors from the switch. Also it always synchs down, i.e. will start at 2.8mbit/sec download/64kbit upload, that will work for 2-3 minutes, then synch failure/reset/and will eventually resynch at 2.4mbit/sec download/64kbit upload

Its a complete mess, and has seriously pi$$ed me off as ive spent a hell of a lot of time investigating the fault, checking out different things, sitting for hours with no broadband waiting for it to connect when i need to send emails or whatever

Its at the stage now that i never ever reset the router as i know my net connection probably wont be back for at least an hour

I am going home now but I wanted to ask... is there a juncture box outside the house?

Do you live in an apartment or a house?

I am going home now but I wanted to ask... is there a juncture box outside the house?

Do you live in an apartment or a house?
    lol, same here, home time :)
    Yep, its a house and theres a junction bok, i opened it already, couldnt see anything wrong, cable from ground( i.e. cable from switch ) splitting into different cables passed through a duct. The only thing to me that seems dodgy is that bracket that they put on it doesnt fit tightly and the cable into the house is all twisted( but seeing as its coaxial it shouldnt matter )

Unfortunately that is not the way it works.

ALL ISPs under the eircom network will need to pay a standard fee.

In fact, just to provide the service will cost the ISP a standard fee of 30 euros (with the exception of some VC products and Line Sharing which is ~140-180 euros)

Regarding ceases the ISP may choose one of two contract options: a minimum term per Bitstream port or no minimum term but a cease fee per Bitstream port (standard 60 euros fee).

Line Sharing is even more expensive.

So, in this case, as you decided to cancel the service after the cool off period, UTV will need to pay Eircom a cancellation fee. This happens to all ISPs.

Sucks doesnt it?

Eircom provide a service to their resellers which of course they are going to charge for as they incur costs in supplying it so why should that sucK? (The level of such charges may be a different issue)
    My point is that UTV choose to pass on those costs to their customers in a particular manner. That is their choice.

UTV will attempt to blame Eircom on everything!!

no, thats correct, youre uploading 64kilobytes, which is 512kilobits which is what broadband is measured in( i.e. 8bits in a byte, so 8x64bytes = 512kilobits )

I on the other hand get an upload of 8kbyte, i.e. 64kilobit lol. Tried uploading a 16meg file on rapidshare, estimated time = 73minutes lmao. Gotta love narrow band, sorry broadband

so the fact that my upload is only 64kb/s instead of what ntl say it should be of 512kb/s is right?!

so the fact that my upload is only 64kb/s instead of what ntl say it should be of 512kb/s is right?!
    no, broadband is measured in kilobits and megabits( your 64kb is kilobytes per second ), they say your upload is 512kilobits and you are getting 64kilobytes . Its the same thing

There are 8 bits in a byte therefore you are getting 512kilobits( 8 x 64 ) per second so youre broadband is 100% fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

no, broadband is measured in kilobits and megabits( your 64kb is kilobytes per second ), they say your upload is 512kilobits and you are getting 64kilobytes . Its the same thing

There are 8 bits in a byte therefore you are getting 512kilobits( 8 x 64 ) per second so youre broadband is 100% fine
    What are you talking about? He said that his upload was 64kb when it was ment to be 512kb, small b means bits big B means bytes.

lol, same here, home time :)
    Yep, its a house and theres a junction bok, i opened it already, couldnt see anything wrong, cable from ground( i.e. cable from switch ) splitting into different cables passed through a duct. The only thing to me that seems dodgy is that bracket that they put on it doesnt fit tightly and the cable into the house is all twisted( but seeing as its coaxial it shouldnt matter )

There is no harm it cleaning that juncture box... many times the problems is there as that box is normally exposed.

I agree ADSL is a RA product but still having an upstream so low will affect your downstream too, causing intermittency and high latency... my advice will be to play with that box...

Dub45

Believe me you cant imagine for what kind of things they charge ISPs for...

Anyway is their business... my point was that, they will charge that fee even when the service cant be delivered.

So lets say that you ask for broadband and at the end you cant get it (due to the fact that your copper wire is not suitable for it) the ISP still has to pay Eircom for it (on average 90 euros), not counting the costs of booking a fault for example...

That's what sucks!

And that's for regular bitstream... for Line Sharing its much more expensive..

They have to pay an installation charge plus a monthly lease and the goes can go up to 250 euros per line.

that includes customer such as Smart or BT LLU2 for example, and for every fault booked after 28 days there is an extra charge also and you dont wanna know the cost of it!

Anyway, good for them!

And yes, prices are mad!

An ISP like BT for example, wont make any profits out of a customer for the first 6 months...

I personally dont understand how they can manage!

Eircom charges, each ISP, 24.99 for the line rental! BT charges their customer 25.36 euros per month!

And other ISP have even cheaper rates...

• Advertisement

What are you talking about? He said that his upload was 64kb when it was ment to be 512kb, small b means bits big B means bytes.

ahhhhhh my head melted.

it should be 512 but its only 64. its slow. thats the only way to explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

what was this thread about again??:confused:

lmao, where'd you hear that big B is used for bytes? news to me and i have a degree on the subject, upload was measured in rapidshare = bytes

6 megaBIT broadband has a maximum download of ~750kiloBYTEs or 6 megaBITs/sec
    6 megaBIT broadband has a maximum upload of ~64kiloBYTES or 512kiloBITs/sec

Jebus its not rocket science, read his original post he says upload to rapidshare was 64kb per second, rapid share measures in kilobytes as does everything else apart from those selling broadband or telecoms engineers( i.e. its a networking measurement as opposed to an OS measurement which is in bytes )
    ahhhhhh my head melted.

it should be 512 but its only 64. its slow. thats the only way to explain it.

I have yet to hear of a 6Mb broadband package that provides 3Mb upload as you are suggesting you should have, i have 64kilobits/second upload, bet it doesnt take you 73 minutes to upload a 16Meg file onto rapid share :P

my connection is

download
    6 meg download
    6mb/s (6000kb/s)

upload
    half a meg upload
    .5mb/s (512kb/s)

so why can i download at over 3000kb/s but only upload at 60kb/s?

my connection is

download
    6 meg download
    6mb/s (6000kb/s)

upload
    half a meg upload
    .5mb/s (512kb/s)

so why can i download at over 3000kb/s but only upload at 60kb/s?

run this and post your results - http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

lmao, where'd you hear that big B is used for bytes? news to me and i have a degree on the subject

Which subject would that be?

If the word 'bit' or 'byte' is not stated in a transfer speed but instead abbreviated to a 'b' or a 'B' then b = bit and B = byte.

carbsy wrote: »
    Which subject would that be?

If the word 'bit' or 'byte' is not stated in a transfer speed but instead abbreviated to a 'b' or a 'B' then b = bit and B = byte.

the subject of arrogant gits, maybe you should actually go and read his original post again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Tut tut now children, play nice or .... well just play nice OK! :)

Tut tut now children, play nice or .... well just play nice OK! :)
    will do

• Advertisement

run this and post your results - http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

testfy8.jpg

Advertisement