Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diverting 5 domains to 1

Options
  • 08-05-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Is it easy to point a few web domain names to one central address?

I've 5 address' (two of them are simply the .com & .net copy of the central .ie address) which I want to divert to the one address. All names are registered for a year, but do I have to pay to host them now in order to kick in the divert?

I'm employing a developer to create the site, and don't want to see him add on a few hundred euro for something which could be very simple.

/end noOb question :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

You could use CNAME DNS records to point them to the main domain (free if you have control over DNS), or use 301 redirects (contact whoever you are hosting the domains with, should be free also)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you have a control panel with your hosting account, it's normally a very easy procedure to add an already registered domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can use DNS (CNAME) or you can use Apache / IIS with the extra domains being "alias" domains
    Contact your hosting provider if you're not sure how to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

If your using Apache do a 301 redirect (not sure of the IIS equivalent) to stay "SEO Friendly"

Advertisement