Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people use auctions to sell their cars?

Options
  • 08-05-2008 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

I always assumed cars went for cheaper at auctions. Is it just for a quick sale?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I always assumed cars went for cheaper at auctions. Is it just for a quick sale?

The Majority of vehicles going through the auctions will come from fleets or finance house repo's. While better prices could be achieved by selling via carzone etc. it would take a lot longer. Fairly sizeable amounts of capital are tied up in these vehicles so it's better to sell it cheap and quick, rather than take a while and get a better price for it.

Also, selling outside of the auction would mean a warranty would have to be offered as I don't reckon they could be classed as private sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

If you've got a car that looks good, tidy, shiny etc.....but on a close inspection is not too hot! where better to sell your car and even hope for a bidding war (well depends on model);)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭positron

Never been to an car auction before. Could someone tell me how does it work with these auctions? Do you get a chance to look under the bonnet, vehicle history (NCT etc) before the auction begins or the previous day etc? Test drives are probably out of question?

Never mind, I google'd. This is how Merlin Car Auctions work: http://www.merlincarauctions.net/dynamic.php?id_sub_menu=51

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

positron wrote: »
    Never been to an car auction before. Could someone tell me how does it work with these auctions? Do you get a chance to look under the bonnet, vehicle history (NCT etc) before the auction begins or the previous day etc? Test drives are probably out of question?

Never mind, I google'd. This is how Merlin Car Auctions work: http://www.merlincarauctions.net/dynamic.php?id_sub_menu=51

Many years ago I ran a hire fleet, and we sent all of our out of date cars to auctions as all fleet operators do (mentioned before in this thread). The auction allowed people to inspect the cars but not to test drive them, and most provided the vehicle history, so to some extent it was a case of buyer beware. The auctions are also a place to get rid of crap cars. The auctions are heavily used by smaller dealers and are dangerous places if you are inexperienced. Go to a few and listen and learn, but do not, under any circumstances, bid until you know the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Yeah I'd definately agree with the above. Aload of crap cars end up at aution. As you have no time to test drive or no warranties offered what a better place to get rid of a problemed car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

ART6 wrote: »
    Many years ago I ran a hire fleet, and we sent all of our out of date cars to auctions as all fleet operators do (mentioned before in this thread). The auction allowed people to inspect the cars but not to test drive them, and most provided the vehicle history, so to some extent it was a case of buyer beware. The auctions are also a place to get rid of crap cars. The auctions are heavily used by smaller dealers and are dangerous places if you are inexperienced. Go to a few and listen and learn, but do not, under any circumstances, bid until you know the rules.

What are the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,358 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What are the rules?

Be very cute. Go to a few, you will soon start to see a few familiar faces of traders. Watch what they are bidding, have a good look around all the stock and work out some prices for yourself. If you have no eye for straight cars or no mechanical knowledge, dont go.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

Barr wrote: »
    Yeah I'd definately agree with the above. Aload of crap cars end up at aution. As you have no time to test drive or no warranties offered what a better place to get rid of a problemed car

I beg to differ, while there are a few scraps around at auctions, alot of the cars are trade-ins from dealers that are either too old to retail or their mileage is to high to retail, yet they are mechanically sound. As mentioned above there are a few fleet cars and bank repo's aswell.

Advertisement