Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buy new car in UK - warranty?

Options
  • 08-05-2008 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Quick question,

If I were to buy a new car in the UK and bring it to Ireland, register it in Ireland, is the warranty valid here? Specifically, if I buy a Hyundai, will their 5-year warranty be valid at any Hyundai garage in Ireland?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

You need to check the Hyundai importer here. UK Renault warranty is valid here, as is Merc, BMW etc. Not sure about Hyundai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Just phoned Hyundai on 012405621. Warranty is valid here, even if car is re-registered here. Happy days. :D

Our Megane is covered by the UK three year warranty, over here it is two years...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Our Megane is covered by the UK three year warranty, over here it is two years...:)

you no that you only have two years with renault garages here? you WONT get your third year here. you will either hav to bring it back 2 an english dealer

or

and this is only the case with some importers...that you pay wthe bill and then send it on to renault england to be reimbursed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

By law the manufacturer has to stand by the warranty.After all it's manufacturer warranty and not a Dealer warranty.I also checked this before buying my A4 in UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Jonny303 wrote: »
    you no that you only have two years with renault garages here? you WONT get your third year here. you will either hav to bring it back 2 an english dealer

or

and this is only the case with some importers...that you pay wthe bill and then send it on to renault england to be reimbursed.

You're talking absolute rubbish, it's a European warranty and will be honored by any dealer in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As a minimum you will have manufacturers warranty. You need to check the warranty provided in the UK market and compare it to the warranty provided in the Irish market. If both warranties are provided by the manufacturer then you will be OK. But if any portion of the UK warranty is offered as an add-on by Hyundai in the UK, then it may not be honoured by Irish dealers. In order to avail of any 'distributor' warranty you will have to visit a Hyundai dealer in the UK (or NI if it applies there).

Probably the best way to get concise information would be to give Hyundai Ireland in JFK a call and see what they have to say.

Jonny303 wrote: »

or

Wouldn't be so sure there Jonny, the main Renault dealer went out of their way to tell me that as it is a UK car they will honour the warranty for THREE years, without prompting I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Invincible

daRobot wrote: »
    You're talking absolute rubbish, it's a European warranty and will be honored by any dealer in Europe.

Well said! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hot4teacher

EU law states that a manufacturer has to stand over a warranty, so if your car has a 3 year warranty, that is valid anywhere in the EU

• Advertisement
Advertisement