Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCSA/MCSE & CCNA V's Diploma/Degree

Options
  • 08-05-2008 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Does anybody have any suggestions on the following?

Should I staying studying for the MCSA/MCSE and then do CCNA or should I go and start a Part Time diploma/degree in Computing?

Do companies look more for MCSA/CCNA Certs than Diploma and degrees or does it matter.

Working in IT the last 7 years as desktop/Network support for 2 different companies, One had 350+ users and all internal support (6years) and the the current employers have a 140 users but it’s a global company so most of the Network support comes from London (1year)

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

What's your goal?

If you see yourself heading to project management / management then a degree is more important. It'll never do any harm to your CV though :)

If you want to stay with the techie work then the technical qualifications will be more useful. For techies though MCSE & CCNA are the baseline. Have a look at some other technologies / exams to push your CV to the top. For me, Checkpoint & Citrix have been selling points for any interview I've been in for the last 7 years and I don't do much with either. I got CISSP last year and that definitely helped me get my current role and again, I'm not a security admin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pharrell

I’m planning to move back to Munster in the next 2/3 years and want to be able to get a decent jobs without having to take a significant drop in wages, I have plenty of hands on experience just need to start getting the certs behind me now.

I’d like to stay in the techie side of it for the moment and like to get into more management later on, maybe 10 years. I have 2 years Citrix experience and done a few courses but never any exams, do you think they would be worth doing?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I agree with Mick. As for the last question I decided a few years back that if I was going to work with something regularly (and it was remotely marketable, that doesn't hurt either :) ) I'd get certified. If you have experience with a product then it's usually not that hard to get certified in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Pharrell wrote: »
    I’d like to stay in the techie side of it for the moment and like to get into more management later on, maybe 10 years. I have 2 years Citrix experience and done a few courses but never any exams, do you think they would be worth doing?

Absolutely. As Creed says if you've got some experience it's not a huge jump to get the exam. Grab a book from Amazon and spend a month on it. You probably don't need any more than that if you've got experience. Then do the exam.
    Suppose two people go for a Citrix role. Both have 2 years experience, both are reasonably competent, both can fit in the company, one has his CCA. Which do you hire? If it gives you nothing else it shows you're interested in your field and career.
    Exams by themselves are worth nothing. Exams + relevant experience is worth loads. No matter what people tell you, you will always learn something relevant that you didn't know before by doing the exams. Some people hate MCPs etc. but I've never been in an interview where my exams were looked on negatively.

Buuuut. Do a job search for your area in Munster and type in your prospective qualifications. See how many people are looking for those skills in your region.

Advertisement