Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinnesses in doubt

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I got an email jsut there saying this:
    Dear Eoinzy

For almost 300 years Ireland has created some of the world's most brilliant brews. Today we announce a €650 million plan to secure that reputation for centuries more.

St. James's Gate, the historic home of the Black Stuff, is to get a whole new lease of life.

Arthur Guinness's brewery will be upgraded and enhanced but the passion, craftsmanship and the finest quality ingredients we fuse to create your favorite pint will always stay the same. As we approach the 250th anniversary of brewing in this unique place, you can look forward to your GUINNESS coming 'straight from the gate' for a long, long time to come.

The plans don't stop there. As well as improving the home of Ireland's most famous pint, over the next five years we're also going to build Ireland's largest brewery yet to satisfy growing worldwide demand for Uncle Arthur's finest. The rich history, heritage and craftsmanship behind all our brilliant brews will be drawn on to create a world-class centre of brewing excellence in the greater Dublin area by 2013. This great new brewery will also produce our famous ales and lagers.

Sadly, our other breweries in both Kilkenny and Dundalk are just too small to accommodate our ambitious plans and these will be wound down in 2013 when the new brewery is complete. It goes without mention that every care will be given to reduce any impact to staff and to ensure future developments reflect the history and heritage of these remarkable sites.

It's going to be an exciting time ahead but we believe the great man himself would be proud. Marrying this exciting investment with Ireland's unique brewing tradition and expertise is a recipe that can only lead to success.

Slainté,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tell that to the people employed in the kilkenny and dundalk breweries.

Feck the culchies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

BJC wrote: »

But I assure you that if it was sold off there would be no high quaility housing, after the atrocious urban sprawl from the 60's to the 90's of low density houses we are still trying to provide houses for the extra 250,000(est.) population boom in the greater Dublin region by 2015. Low density housing is really not an option at the moment in a location so centralised and with such good access to public transport.

The housing obviously wouldnt be low density, high quality doesnt mean low density.

No chance of social housing here. Thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Isn't it a bit weird how it was initially being reported that they were moving to Clondalkin, but now the reports are saying they will be moving to "yet to be announced location on the outskirts of Dublin".

Anyone else thinking they might actually be moving to a site in Leixlip, and that they will market it as "Guinness Returning Home" seeing as Leixlip was where the first Guinness Brewery was?
    Afterall, they aren't mentioning that it will be in Dublin at all, in fact they seem to be hinting otherwise.
    I know there were rumors that they could be moving to Leixlip at one point. Just thought it was odd that Clondalkin was initially reported but now it has suddenly changed. Just seems to make sense as Leixlip is:

- On the outskirts of Dublin or "Greater Dublin Area"
    - Is the "original" home of Guinness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Noopti wrote: »
    Isn't it a bit weird how it was initially being reported that they were moving to Clondalkin, but now the reports are saying they will be moving to "yet to be announced location on the outskirts of Dublin".

Anyone else thinking they might actually be moving to a site in Leixlip, and that they will market it as "Guinness Returning Home" seeing as Leixlip was where the first Guinness Brewery was?
    Afterall, they aren't mentioning that it will be in Dublin at all, in fact they seem to be hinting otherwise.
    I know there were rumors that they could be moving to Leixlip at one point. Just thought it was odd that Clondalkin was initially reported but now it has suddenly changed. Just seems to make sense as Leixlip is:

- On the outskirts of Dublin or "Greater Dublin Area"
    - Is the "original" home of Guinness

Leixlip is in Co.Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Mairt wrote: »
    Feck the culchies :D
    Hear hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

In protest, I stopped drinking Diageo products and Bulmers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeOKANGRMVs, reinstate the Clonmel eight!) today. Thank God there's still Heineken. Now what are the chances of Murphy's and/or the Dutch offending me tomorrow. Ok Jaysus, the Dutch, King Billy...... I'm seriously considering homebrew now! Or some Polish stuff that would double as concrete cleaner. What's a drinking man to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Got an A+ in geography, yeah? :rolleyes:

I'm well aware of where Leixlip is. I never said it was in Dublin, in fact if you read my post again you will see I said "Greater Dublin Area" & "Outskirts of Dublin"

Guess a D in English kind of negates that A+.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

balbriggan, especially if the new Dublin port is built out there and since the new brewery will produce extract form the international market. It would be handy having a port beside it

Advertisement