Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any opinions on this van ?

Options
  • 08-05-2008 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

I am a new start up business and need a van. A car sales has offered me a clean Vauxhall Astra van. Inside it has been lined with ply. It has a petrol engine (not sure what size) - and get this - can run on LPG gas at the flick of a switch. Now I dont know anything about this stuff or even if you can get it here.

The odo is showing 65k miles and is on an 02 plate. It must be an import as its Vauxhall, not Opel. He will "give" it to me for €3,500 euro.

Anyone know anything about these or have any input

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I have always been told Vauxhall/opel are rubbish cars. If your going to buy, ask your man is the timing belt done. What litre is it? Is it an ecotec engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A LPG conversion is nice, saves a lot of money ...when you can actually get LPG.

When / where is the last time you saw LPG at a filling station?

It's all but disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Plug wrote: »
    I have always been told Vauxhall/opel are rubbish cars. If your going to buy, ask your man is the timing belt done. What litre is it? Is it an ecotec engine?

Ah, the wonder of generalisations!

Is it an estate type or one of the little 3 door vans?

There are a lot of Astra cars around the place, and aside from a lack of back windows in the van, they tend to be the same underneath. Like any other car/van, get it checked out.

I searched Opel and Vauxhall Astra vans from 2001-2003 on carzone, and found 1 2001 Opel petrol for €3,950 with 139k from a dealer - (http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=1041351&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Opel%2C%20Van%2C%20Oldest%3A%202001%2C%20Newest%3A%202002%2C%20Petrol%20Only%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=630884&CFTOKEN=19931548).

Probably a better selection available in diesel.

As for LPG, Peasant is probably right about availability, so check out what's available in your locality.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC VAT on diesel can be reclaimed, VAT on petrol or LPG can't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Forget the LPG, you're buying a petrol van, VAT can be reclaimed on purchase price but not on fuel costs. Having said that the usual tax write off rules apply as its for business use - civil service mileage rates or X years depreciation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement