Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Route to becoming organisational psychologist

• 08-05-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭

Finishing a degree in Psychology this year and am thinking about pursuing a career in Organisational Psychology after taking a year out. Spoken to a few of my lectures about the best way to do this and have gotten some conflicting responses.

Does anyone know if applying for a Masters in Britain would be much better than applying for the one in UCD or DCU? I've heard that no Irish masters course in Org Psych is recognised by the BPS and that this can be a problem in getting a job in the future? I'm not that keen on moving to Britain for a year but would be willing to if it meant having a much better qualification.

I should also probably mention that I am most interested in the occupational aspect of this area in case that makes a difference to which course would be best.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Im not sure if you have already looked into the MSc in Work and Organisational Psychology in UL? I have a friend starting it in September. The course is ran through the Kemmy Business School. Dont know about the situation in Britain sorry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A classmate of mine applied to had an interview with Sheffield, I don't think he's heard back yet though. He's really been doing his homework on it and seems to think it's pretty much up there as one of the better Occupational courses.

Might be worth seeing what PSI Division of Work and Organisational Psychology have to say. I presume they're contactable in some way. Some career talks from earlier this year: http://www.psihq.ie/members_studentNews.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I'm at undergrad level in Cardiff uni at the moment, considering occupational / organisational also. Our masters course is being discontinued after this year I believe, but speaking to someone currently on the course Sheffield is the place to be. They sell themselves as having a work psychology department which seems to stand alone from the general psychology department (or at least their website appears split that way).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

If you're a member, the PSI have the powerpoint presentations of the recent Careers event in Trinity college on their members section on psihq.ie. There was a really informative talk on industrial/work/occupational/organisational (when will they settle on a name?) psychology, i found it really interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Might be worth seeing what PSI Division of Work and Organisational Psychology have to say. I presume they're contactable in some way. Some career talks from earlier this year: http://www.psihq.ie/members_studentNews.asp

Had a look at those slides, v useful info about what an organisational psych does but don't say anything about which courses are the best. Thanks though!

Have heard that Sheffield is the best.......anyone know the ratio of number of applicants to number of places?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Valmont wrote: »
    If you're a member, the PSI have the powerpoint presentations of the recent Careers event in Trinity college on their members section on psihq.ie. There was a really informative talk on industrial/work/occupational/organisational (when will they settle on a name?) psychology, i found it really interesting.

Also,not a member of PSI........really should have joined;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Don't know about the ratios, sorry. Apparently there are group interviews and other hoops to jump through, for Sheffield anyway.

Advertisement