Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9800GTX price question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Its down to warantee (some give lifetime some only give the year), what you get with the package (free games with some, more cables with others), then theres clock speeds, some manufactures sell pre-overclocked versions of their cards and you pay a premium for that. Then theres the normal drop in price thing over time!
    To be honest, the general rule I go by with is go with the cheapest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

1st, cheers for the reply.

Go with the cheapest hmmm? I dunno, I'm going for an 9800GTX for a reason. I don't wanna end up with something called a 9800GTX but which has the performance of an 8600 lol :p

I don't mind about warrenty and the bundle so much. Its the power. Anyone know if the performance difference between the two cards is much of a difference?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some of the more expensive cards will be factory over clocked so yes they will perform better. Saying that the extra performance usually isn't worth the extra cash and you should be able to overclock it yourself just as high (if not higher).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    1st, cheers for the reply.

Go with the cheapest hmmm? I dunno, I'm going for an 9800GTX for a reason. I don't wanna end up with something called a 9800GTX but which has the performance of an 8600 lol :p

I don't mind about warrenty and the bundle so much. Its the power. Anyone know if the performance difference between the two cards is much of a difference?

No, not at all. There are reference clock speeds, and some vendors overclock their cards. Most don't, and you still see huge price differences. This is down to things already mentioned above - warranty, bundle, etc. The difference, typically, between a normal card and an overclocked one, would be a few percent. In gaming terms - maybe 80fps in a given scenario versus 73fps for example. Don't worry, you can't get a 'poor' 9800GTX, that's not how it works.

I also go for the cheapest card available. Also, right now, Elara have the Club3D 8800GTS 512mb for 180 euro. Can't get better then that. The 9800GTX isn't a whole lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

how much better is 9800gtx than 8800gt, would selling 2 8800 gts and buying 2 9800gtx's be daft ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

What game is causing you problems that you would consider moving up from 2 8800 GTS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

um none, but if 9800gtx's are way better I'd be tempted to buy just because , you know how it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

MooseJam wrote: »
    how much better is 9800gtx than 8800gt, would selling 2 8800 gts and buying 2 9800gtx's be daft ?

Yes it would..

Only a few frames faster.

Wait until the summer when new cards come..

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182304

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=185628

Advertisement