Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frank Rijkaard Gone Pep Guardiola in.

• 08-05-2008 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

So its official.

Guillem Balague on SSN reckoned there will be a major clear out - only a handful of first-team regulars to survive the cull.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

link

Guardiola in as replacement.
    Can see Rijkaard at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I see Chelsea moving in with a blank cheque book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Glad I didn't start another thread!:D

Anyway, here's my post from the El Gran Clasico match thread:

It's been confirmed, Rijkaard will step down at the end of the season and Guardiola will take over. Hardly surprising but it'd be a shame if Barça fans forgot about everything he's achieved in the past 5 years because of this season. Best of luck to him anyway wherever he goes.

Source: http://www.elpais.com/articulo/depor...pepudep_14/Tes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Did not think this would happen, a strange appointment IMO, but he will have the fans unconditional support for as long as it takes.

Hope he comes in and swings the axe big time. i would say cheerio to

Abidal
    Marquez
    Gudjohnsen
    Deco
    Etoo
    Send Dos Santos to the reserves or out on loan for a season
    We all know Ronaldinho is gome
    Edmilson
    Sylvinho
    Henry
    Thuram

That doesn't leave much I realise.

Well done to Rijkaard in all he has achieved over the last 5 years. He will be remembered fondly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What's the story with Barca money-wise?

Would they be able to replace that many big names?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

gimmick wrote: »
    Did not think this would happen, a strange appointment IMO, but he will have the fans unconditional support for as long as it takes.

Hope he comes in and swings the axe big time. i would say cheerio to

Abidal
    Marquez
    Gudjohnsen
    Deco
    Etoo
    Send Dos Santos to the reserves or out on loan for a season
    We all know Ronaldinho is gome
    Edmilson
    Sylvinho
    Henry
    Thuram

That doesn't leave much I realise.

Well done to Rijkaard in all he has achieved over the last 5 years. He will be remembered fondly.

If we see all that and Chelski have a clear out aswell ,it could be a busy summer O_O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

If that's the case, Eto'o to United would be just fine with me. He's the type of striker who would fit into our system; fast, good touch and technique and gets onto the end of things. He'd suit Uniteds quick counter attacking play me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Why does everyone take what Guillem Balague says at gospel truth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

DesF wrote: »
    What's the story with Barca money-wise?

Would they be able to replace that many big names?

They'll get a fair amount for making the CL semis as well as a large slice of TV money from Canal+. Their league finish isn't all that important money-wise, so they're alright there. Stadium revenue is huge aswell and they get about €15million anually from members. That's a lot of money but it's not enough to replace a whole squad. I think a lot will depend on whether or not Laporta is forced out aswell. If he is, they'll hold new elections and the incoming president will have to put up €25million for the privilege of a 4-year term. Players like Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Henry, Deco, even Abidal would all command fairly decent transfer fees aswell but I don't think we'll see such a mass exodus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Yeah i heard yesterday for that info,i just dont see why Guardiola is better option,is this his 1st job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Unearthly wrote: »

because when you are right much more often than every other pundit; and manage to be articulate and insightful when all other pundits are tepid and inane - those that watch you and aren't retarded pay heed to what you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

No big shock, I said Josep would get the job last week

He's a legend at Barce (and rightly so), and has been coaching Barce B this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    because when you are right much more often than every other pundit; and manage to be articulate and insightful when all other pundits are tepid and inane - those that watch you and aren't retarded pay heed to what you say.

He's been wrong on some big stuff before. Torres to Man Utd in summer 2006 a done deal just at top off my head.

Probably why I dislike him :mad::(

I can't cee barca getting rid of that amount of players over the summer. It would be too much of a drastic change, too quick. New players will need time to adapt to the stadium, training, climate (if they're not from spain). And with a new manager as well, the players who DON'T leave will have to get used to a new style of play. A lot of change...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Guardiola will just be the next Rijkaard.

Build a team,do well then be sacked the next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Unearthly wrote: »

Because he is probably the best pundit in Europe alongside Graham Hunter. He called the Torres to Liverpool deal a few weeks before it happened.
    Average-Ro wrote:
    If that's the case, Eto'o to United would be just fine with me. He's the type of striker who would fit into our system; fast, good touch and technique and gets onto the end of things. He'd suit Uniteds quick counter attacking play me thinks.

Eto'o is an idiot and unsettles dressing rooms as has done plenty times in the last year or 2 at Barca, most recently saying he probably needs to move on if Barca dont win anything this season. This was 3 days before the first leg Vs Man U. Not exactly great way to build team harmony. No doubting his talent though.

Begs a question, would Ronaldinho work under a new boss? If As Rijkarrd is going ad Eto'o were to leave?
    chdpoker wrote: »

What an odd thing to say. Rijkarrd has been at the helm of Barca since 2003.

gimmick wrote: »
    Eto'o is an idiot and unsettles dressing rooms as has done plenty times in the last year or 2 at Barca, most recently saying he probably needs to move on if Barca dont win anything this season. This was 3 days before the first leg Vs Man U. Not exactly great way to build team harmony. No doubting his talent though.

I agree, but if anyone could calm Eto'o down and get rid of his personality problems, it's Ferguson. Eto is a great talent, but his personality gets in the way, I'm not going to argue that. If ferguson could make Eto'o cop on to himself (which he is well capable of doing) he'd be the missing link in our attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Well i didnt know for that,maybe he showed potential,i really thought he never had coaching experience,good player when he was playing but it sounded surprising he will be new coach of Barca,well who knows,maybe he will do something,if not he will be surely replaced after next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

daft to go with Guardiola imo considering the potential options out there. but then again Barca are like that, and ya never know Guardiola could well do a job. still, Rikjaard had to go after this season. he clearly is at a loss without Ten Cate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

number 2 job open for him at Anfield if he wants it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Average-Ro wrote: »
    If ferguson could make Eto'o cop on to himself (which he is well capable of doing) he'd be the missing link in our attack.
    Tevez is the missing link in our attack. Ever seen the head on him?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

chdpoker wrote: »

Yes, clearly Rijkaard should be allowed stay at the club because he did well 2 seasons ago. The fact is, Barca have been sh*t the past 2 seasons, and change needs to be implemented now.

Im in two minds about Guardiola, he remains my favourite ever player. In any interviews I've seen of the guy he seems to ooze intelligence and charisma, and that's not based on the fact he is smart for a footballer, he genuinely seems like an intelligent man. Im worried though, this is the rebuilding of a club. In times like these where gambles are extra risky, as if this goes badly, with Madrid looking like they are headed towards 01/02 form, we may be knocked back to our form from 6 years ago.

Again though, if it pays off, it will be amazing, because Guardiola truely understands FC Barcelona, its ethos, its history and culture. He was a true leader in his times with the dream team, and if he can bring that to the table as a manager then it could be a recipe for success. How much experience did Beckenbauer have when he started managing Germany - or Klinsmann for that matter? Or Cruyff when he started at Ajax? Or Del Bosque with Madrid? Gambles can pay off...

Its also important for Pep to realise that to change the mentality and hunger in the team, a mass exodus is NOT what is needed. Madrids Galactico era was solved by getting rid of 3 players- Zidane, Ronaldo, and Figo. Since then, we have seen the rise of Raul to almost his absolute best. I ts ridiculous that people are mentioning getting rid of 10 players just for the heck of it... Its not as easy as that, because to sell 10 players, you have to find 10 buyers, and some of the wage schemes that these players are on means they can only go to top 4 sides...

The people that will leave because of old age or basically not because of ego's of their careers; Thuram, Edmilson, Ezquerro.

People who need to be disposed of for the good of the team; Ronaldinho, and maybe Deco.

Its crazy that people want Henry and Abidal to leave. Henry has only been here for one season, he deserves to show his class with at least one more season. Abidal was the best LB in the world up until about christmas, he has only been here for one season also. Ridiculous statements.

Etoo can most definitely be salvaged, look at his goal to games ratio and then be quiet. He just needs a coach that will tell him to not make ridiculous statements in the media and all will be good. Sylvinho has signed a one year extension to his contract and Im delighted about that, great back up for the LB. I would also like Zambrotta to stay if possible, he has showed his class since Christmas and with proper defensive tactics set up he can no doubt prosper again.

People that need to brought in; 2 RB's if Zambrotta leaves, Lahm/ Alves seem to be targets. A replacement for Deco as he is slowly wearing out, can't think of the ideal player at the moment, Diego is the only plausible option because De Rossi/ Aquilani are definite no go's. We need one more forward once Ronnie leaves, whether that's a Benzema remains to be seen. A CB is also needed, with Thuram leaving and Milito out for 6 months...

Also, Messi is not injury prone because of hormone treatments as a child. Its simply because the Barcelona medical team are inept. Or perhaps its the fact that training regime's aren't tough enough, so when in games, the fitness levels are lower therefore more injury prone. Either way, these problems MUST be solves, being the most injury prone team in La Liga (and more than likely European top flight football) is nothing to be proud of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eze as you say barca have been **** for 2 seasons, when did henk ten cate leave?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Tevez is the missing link in our attack. Ever seen the head on him?!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Fúcking Brilliant!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

KdjaCL wrote: »
    eze as you say barca have been **** for 2 seasons, when did henk ten cate leave?

kdjac

Hahaha, its no surprise, I've been saying it for ages. He prospers only when being the hidden man though, as the 1st in command he isn't as effective. Perfect compliment to Rijkaard, because Henk can shout and bully the players without much media attention, and then Rijkaard is the relaxed pothead who gets all the credit. At least Rijkaard truely loved the club, and was at the helm in a good spell in the clubs history.

Also though, I think its actually fascinating to see how much the club has changed over the space of 15 months, just look at the players;

Deco- was arguably the best midfielder in the world when we won the CL, the engine of the team, absolutely fantastic, great pace, nice touch and scored goals. He was lack lustre last seasons but still scored vital goals like against Chelsea and Liverpool. This season he's been injured, but he really doesnt look bothered. He needs to cop on or else be replaced. He can go to England for all I care if he doesn't get his act together.

Ronaldinho- this has been discussed to death, if he continued his form from 2 years ago theres no doubt he'd be considered up there with the Zidanes and Maradonna's of the world. Last season he was still vital for us, scoring many goals and vital ones (ala Bremen). He has looked like he doesnt care anymore, which is a real shame. Needs to be replaced to signify the ushering in of a new era.

The fullbacks we have lost were Gio and Belletti, although Belletti wasnt the best defensively, I think we have really missed Gio, even last season he was very good in comparison to how bad we've been this season at the back. Zambrotta and Abidal may be better players on paper, but they really havent performed.

Larsson- the most evident of the changes in the squad. The Barca team of 05 and 06 put teams the sword, who were not content with 2-0 wins, but when they had trouble or hit a bad patch in a game, they had this absolute gem to change the game. He was arguably one of the impact subs ever. An absolute legend, setting up both the goals in the CL final and scoring in the last minute to beat his old team Celtic in the CL. We have brought Guddy in from Chelsea to try and recreate his position, but he has failed, same with Henry, they could not make the same impact as Henrik.

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:59 pm Post subject: Transformations
    I want to discuss this in one topic rather than in each individual players thread.

I think its actually fascinating to see how much the club has changed over the space of 15 months, just look at the players;

Deco- was arguably the best midfielder in the world when we won the CL, the engine of the team, absolutely fantastic, great pace, nice touch and scored goals. He was lack lustre last seasons but still scored vital goals like against Chelsea and Liverpool. This season he's been injured, but he really doesnt look bothered. He needs to cop on or else be replaced. He can go to England for all I care.

Ronaldinho- this has been discussed to death, if he continued his form from 2 years ago theres no doubt he'd be considered up there with the Zidanes and Maradonna's of the world. Last season he was still vital for us, scoring many goals and vital ones (ala Bremen). He has looked like he doesnt care anymore, which is a real shame. We definitely should cash in on him asap.

The fullbacks we have lost were Gio and Belletti, although Belletti wasnt the best defensively, I think we have really missed Gio, even last season he was very good in comparison to how bad we've been this season at the back. Zambrotta and Abidal may be better players on paper, but they really havent performed.

Larsson- the most evident of the changes in the squad. The Barca team of 05 and 06 put teams the sword, who were not content with 2-0 wins, but when they had trouble or hit a bad patch in a game, they had this absolute gem to change the game. He was arguably one of the impact subs ever. An absolute legend, setting up both the goals in the CL final and scoring in the last minute to beat his old team Celtic in the CL. We have brought Guddy in from Chelsea to try and recreate his position, but he has failed, same with Henry, they could not make the same impact as Henrik.

While there are mainly negatives in comparison to 2 seasons ago, there are also some positives;

The emergence of Messi- when he was playing 2 seasons ago he showed so much potential, but I always got frustrated with his shooting and general finishing. He was a way too selfish and had quite a weak shot. Slowly he got better and now he's just fantastic, although he may still be a bit too selfish at times, he has added a great dimension to his game with his passing vision and technique, its no mystery that Barcelona's form has gotten considerably ****ter when he's been absent.

Iniesta- its amazing that he's 23 and already made almost 150 appearances in the league. He has slowly and steadily become a star. Although he doesnt always get the recognition deserved, or score many goals, he has been imo Barca's most consistent player this season. I love the guy.

Squad of 05/06;
    Goalkeepers

1. VALDÉS
    25. JORQUERA
    28. RUBEN

Defence

2. BELLETTI
    4. MÁRQUEZ
    5. PUYOL
    12. GIO
    15. EDMÍLSON
    23. OLEGUER

Midfielders

3. MOTTA
    6. XAVI
    10. RONALDINHO
    18. GABRI
    20. DECO
    17. VAN BOMMEL
    24. INIESTA

Forwards

7. LARSSON
    8. GIULY
    9. ETO'O
    11. MAXI
    14. EZQUERRO
    30. MESSI

I don't think that squad is better than this years squad. It just goes to show how much has changed once the hunger and winning mentality left the veterans in the side.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Where were Barca before Rijkaard?

2 league titles and a second ever CL win for the club, does that not deserve a bit of loyalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Where were Barca before Rijkaard?

2 league titles and a second ever CL win for the club, does that not deserve a bit of loyalty?

Well Loyalty is one thing and he should be applauded for what he achieved, but there is also culpability, if you were to believe half of what goes on in the club it is in big trouble, Rijkaard as mananger has to take his fair share of blame for that, he looks me like he lost interest along time ago.

Whatever the circumstances of the demise, the buck stops with him and not many would argue that he has to go. Barca have been fair to him in La Liga terms, if it were Real he would have been shot.

Advertisement