Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardaí in red?

• 08-05-2008 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭

I saw a garda car earlier with two gardaí in red vests (with white text) - I've never seen them before. What are they?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

did they have a gun in their hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Detectives, the red bibs are normally worn when they do checkpoints with uniform branch, usually when they are "carrying"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Red tabards usually indicate Uzis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

as they all said, indeicates highly armed detectives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Shame they were driving a Fiat then. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Thought these were phased out for the navy windbreakers, with GARDA in yellow on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Not all of them.

My van was searched coming back from a drop off in clondalkin by lads in red bibs. That was a year ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Any pics? I wanna know who to leggit from!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Victor wrote: »
    Shame they were driving a Fiat then. :)

It just looks like a Fiat. It wouldn't be good for public relations if it got out that the Gardai were using the most sophisticated killing machine known to mankind on our streets now, would it? The XM-08b Urban pacification platform is the culmination of 30 years of research and development in a deep underground research facility under layers of protective rock in the Burren. I have to go now before this post is traced back to me..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

i always assumed that seeing as they were plainclothes officers that the vests were for hi-vis purposes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I wanna know who to leggit from!

Leggit from the guys with the guns :)

if ya look in last sundays independent, i think there wasa pic of a plain clothes garda with a red bib on and the gun holstered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I remember coming home to a flat on Nth Gt Georges St a few years ago. There's a bunch of dodgy shops on Parnell St around there there. Rakes of Gardai were swarming around, the red-bibbed chaps were there with Uzi's. It was a bit scary seeing someone walk around with a gun actually.

shakin wrote: »
    i always assumed that seeing as they were plainclothes officers that the vests were for hi-vis purposes
    These two chaps were actually in uniform, in a liveried car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭fireplace1982

Eru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Eru
    Eru talkin' to me? :D

I'll get me coat.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

I saw ERU detectives sitting in a jeep with the new Garda windbreaker..it looks good.
    Victor,where abouts did you see these Gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Eru

ERU dont use the red vests or windbreakers in plain clothes. They are either covert or in full gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

Bu they'd need something to identify themselves when it all goes down, be it baseball caps, red bibs or a 30ft flashing neon sign that says "Armed Garda operate in this area!"

eroo wrote: »
    Victor,where abouts did you see these Gardai?
    In their car, going over a bridge.

:p

• Advertisement

ERU dont use the red vests or windbreakers in plain clothes. They are either covert or in full gear.

Well they were wearing the windbreakers when I saw them..that is,unless,DDU's have acquired black 4x4 Isuzu's..:p

Maybe the wind was making them cold so threw the windbreakers on over thier gear :p

Think red bibs also identify themself to other guards so others think "oh hes one of us not one of the bad guys"

I know they used to give them to customs and stuff on raids etc for identification. My da told me its so guards dont shoot them lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I thought the UZI would have been obsolete by now? surely something like the MP7 would be more suitable?

the eru use the mp7, but the ddu only have uzi's at the mo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

ddu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

:p District Detective Unit!

Well they were wearing the windbreakers when I saw them..that is,unless,DDU's have acquired black 4x4 Isuzu's..:p

ERU aren't the only unit to use that sort of vehicle.

I would just like to use this thread as an example of how many people dont understand as much as they think they do!

Not pointing fingers or giving out, merely an observation.

When the ERU are in plain clothes they are discreet, when they want to be indentified they are in tactical gear. No middle ground and they identify themselves by shouting "Armed Gardai" and having a gun but lets also remember they dont operate solo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

I would just like to use this thread as an example of how many people dont understand as much as they think they do!

When the ERU are in plain clothes they are discreet, when they want to be indentified they are in tactical gear. No middle ground and they identify themselves by shouting "Armed Gardai" and having a gun but lets also remember they dont operate solo.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47812&d=1208027319

Hope the above link works and clears things up.

HK MP7 + ERU member + Raid Jacket.

• Advertisement

CLADA wrote: »
    http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47812&d=1208027319

whats special about these raid jackets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭afatbollix

there waterproof :p:p;)

Well they weren't so discreet on the Hyde Road in Ballincaurra Weston last Thursday morning!:p
    And I am 100% sure it was ERU.They were parked up on a green while plain clothes + uniformed Gardai searched houses,armed support on standby or something?They were also manning checkpoints.

Well they weren't so discreet on the Hyde Road in Ballincaurra Weston last Thursday morning!:p

its the summer collection from the gardai

And I am 100% sure it was ERU.They were parked up on a green while plain clothes + uniformed Gardai searched houses,armed support on standby or something?They were also manning checkpoints.

How can you be 100%? Did they have 'ERU' written on their jackets? People like to think its the ERU when they see armed Gardai but theres not that many ERU members and they do have to cover more than just Limerick or Dublin at a time.
    CLADA wrote: »

Not being smart Clara but that doesnt prove anything at all. Its a picture of a Garda with a gun taken from a military site. For example and while were playing the game, this is from the Wikipedia page about the ERU but its actually not ERU. Do you think anyone will believe me? Nope but anyone that knows where this picture was taken knows Im right. A hint: Who gets all the toys before the ERU?
    Garda_EMU.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

How can you be 100%? Did they have 'ERU' written on their jackets? People like to think its the ERU when they see armed Gardai but theres not that many ERU members and they do have to cover more than just Limerick or Dublin at a time.

Not being smart Clara but that doesnt prove anything at all. Its a picture of a Garda with a gun taken from a military site. For example and while were playing the game, this is from the Wikipedia page about the ERU but its actually not ERU. Do you think anyone will believe me? Nope but anyone that knows where this picture was taken knows Im right. A hint: Who gets all the toys before the ERU?
    Garda_EMU.png

Put away the shovel like a good man and stop digging:D

The first picture was printed in the irish independent on Friday 25th April and is taken outside Limerick District Court as Stephen Fitzgerald was charged with firearms possession (He who was tasered).

The Garda is carrying a HK MP7 and the ERU are the only Garda personnel currently issued with the MP7.

The second photo is a still taken from RTE news footage around the time the **** hit the fan in the C district. Its prior to the issue of the MP7 when ERU were still carrying the UZI.
    So there's no new toys in that picture.

I'm not playing this game anymore, I'm trying to educate you and you keep throwing the rattler out of the pram:D

• Advertisement

take your point theres only about 50 members afaik

arw? is that what you mean? i think that pic was from an rte news story and if i recall it said eru....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

It is the ERU and they are their unmarked land cruisers. It was when they were manning checkpoints along with uniformed members in dublin city.

shakin wrote: »
    Not being smart Clara but that doesnt prove anything at all. Its a picture of a Garda with a gun taken from a military site.

The pic is a scan of a photo that featured in the Irish Independent last month.

Chief--- wrote: »
    It is the ERU and they are their unmarked land cruisers. It was when they were manning checkpoints along with uniformed members in dublin city.

My point exactly. Everyone including media said it was the ERU but it wasnt and I can guarantee that, I stood on many of those checkpoints with them. It is in fact the FTU in this picture not ERU at all. The ERU was not actually deployed in uniform within the C district only in pain clothes and Clara, if you have access within HQ then you should be able to find this out for yourself.

As for being in public and what they wear, dont you think its strange that the ERU personels identity is protected information but yet we then send them out in open view? That makes no sense when you consider that they were allowed give evidence out of pubic view at the Lusk inquest and arrived with their faces covered. They arent even registered on PULSE as ERU.

And finally, the UZI is being replaced across the board. ERU were prioritised for obvious reasons but all Uzis are going and are being replaced by the MP7 for all authorised to carry such weapons so its incorrect to state only ERU have access to it. The UZi is not even manufactured anymore and the contract for maintenance and parts expired a good while ago.

Ftu?

• Advertisement

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Ftu?
    Ya karlito what is this FTU you speak of?:cool::pac:You remember 2003 in Limerick when ERU were deployed?There was footage of ERU in full gear...however they weren't wearing masks/balaclava's so they are deployed as such..they can't protect their identity from everyone!
    http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?image=erucheckpointlimerick20et5.jpg (taken from miliphotos,thanks to apod))
    Also,the media couldn't get things wrong,i.e. identifying units,THAT BADLY!?

As CLADA said,that Garda was ERU outside Limerick CC.
    As for being in public and what they wear, dont you think its strange that the ERU personels identity is protected information but yet we then send them out in open view? That makes no sense when you consider that they were allowed give evidence out of pubic view at the Lusk inquest and arrived with their faces covered

Regarding indentity of ERU personnel being restricted,so is identity of ARW personnel but just 2 weeks ago there was pic of Rangers body guarding MforD Willie O' Dea in a prominent Irish Sunday paper..the only cover they had were sunglasses.

Also,the media couldn't get things wrong,i.e. identifying units,THAT BADLY!?

Why couldn't they? They've gotten plenty of other things completely arseways.

Regarding indentity of ERU personnel being restricted,so is identity of ARW personnel but just 2 weeks ago there was pic of Rangers body guarding MforD Willie O' Dea in a prominent Irish Sunday paper..the only cover they had were sunglasses.

What the Army press office allows has nothing to do with the Gardai's policies regarding the identifying of members.

cushtac wrote: »
    Why couldn't they? They've gotten plenty of other things completely arseways.
    I'm not disputing the fact they may have it wrong.
    What the Army press office allows has nothing to do with the Gardai's policies regarding the identifying of members.
    Yes but ERU and ARW are both highly secretive units..but that doesn't mean they go around like Michael Jackson covering their faces all the time.:D

Yes but ERU and ARW are both highly secretive units..but that doesn't mean they go around like Michael Jackson covering their faces all the time.:D

Conversely they don't go around advertising their status either.

Not every photo that appears in the papers labelled 'ERU' actually features a member of that unit, yet some people here seem to be basing everything on pics in the local rag.

Conversely they don't go around advertising their status either.

Not every photo that appears in the papers labelled 'ERU' actually features a member of that unit, yet some people here seem to be basing everything on pics in the local rag.

'some people'?Now now,be nice!:pac:

Well care to expand on this FTU for those of us who are not in the Service?

Firearms Training Unit

Firearms Training Unit

If they are a training unit why would they be deployed on streets?(if that info is restricted etc I understand!)

If they are a training unit why would they be deployed on streets?(if that info is restricted etc I understand!)

They can so operate if needed, and have done in the past.

They can so operate if needed, and have done in the past.

Would they be solely an armed support unit or do they do detective work etc?(if restricted etc!)

EDIT:Would they be anything to the Firearms Automated Training Units or 'FATS'?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement