Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí in red?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

civdef wrote: »
    The name surely must give some hints...

Obviously training:rolleyes:,but if they are being deployed then that is not their sole function?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

eroo wrote: »
    So what are the FTU's duties,if it's ok for that to be said on a public forum?
    Firearm training? :D I presume they are firearm qualified and fill in if necessary.

Victor wrote: »
    Firearm training? :D I presume they are firearm qualified and fill in if necessary.

Again,I think I know their main role!:D But I'm just surprised that a training unit would be deployed!So what would lead them to be deployed?Does that mean the Tactical Training Unit at the Garda College could perform a similar 'fill in' role?

EDIT:Smart ass mods.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Given that the Gardai use fully qualified gardai as firearms instructors, it makes sense that if bodies were short on the ground, they could be called on to do operational duty.

It's interesting that many UK police forces use civilian firearms instructors (usually ex-services), where this wouldn't be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,456 ✭✭✭✭Esel

civdef wrote: »
    Given that the Gardai use fully qualified gardai as firearms instructors, it makes sense that if bodies were short on the ground, they could be called on to do operational duty.
    Freudian slip? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Obviously training:rolleyes:,but if they are being deployed then that is not their sole function?

Its their sole planned function, they arent rostered to do anything else outside or firearms training and evaluation but as they are fully qualified Gardai with knowledge and experience in tactical areas and weapons the choice is there to deploy them when needed. The situation in Dublin North Central was a prime example as it was planned and only to cover the Gardai actually doing the patrols and checkpoints.

ERU will and do patrol Dublin but I personally have yet to see them in tactical gear when patrolling.

Its their sole planned function, they arent rostered to do anything else outside or firearms training and evaluation but as they are fully qualified Gardai with knowledge and experience in tactical areas and weapons the choice is there to deploy them when needed. The situation in Dublin North Central was a prime example as it was planned and only to cover the Gardai actually doing the patrols and checkpoints.

ERU will and do patrol Dublin but I personally have yet to see them in tactical gear when patrolling.
    Thanks for clearing that up!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

check out the ftu section in the 2007 yearbook....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

The mp7 is only been used by the ERU at the moment, next will be the RSU.

It is not envisaged that the mp7 will be give to regular units for a long time.

The GS College Yearbook says that there are 14 Gardai(4 Sgt's and 10 Gardai)in the FTU.I still can't see it logistically as to why FTU would be deployed seeing as they are such a small unit.Are they deployed because of their similarity to ERU.i.e training and equipment?

• Advertisement

yayamark wrote: »
    The mp7 is only been used by the ERU at the moment, next will be the RSU.

It is not envisaged that the mp7 will be give to regular units for a long time.

So RSU will have them (which is regular unit by the way) and what will the rest such as SDU use?

sdu will continue with the sig and uzi.

The GS College Yearbook says that there are 14 Gardai(4 Sgt's and 10 Gardai)in the FTU.I still can't see it logistically as to why FTU would be deployed seeing as they are such a small unit.Are they deployed because of their similarity to ERU.i.e training and equipment?
    Persumably officers in the FTU are good at two things - firearms proficiency and training people. I imagine they are so deployed because of the firearms proficiency.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good to see the Uzi being replaced.

OT, what is this bit of panelling/protection this Austrian Cobra has?

_44663273_cobra_ap_466.jpg

Officers of Austria's special police unit Cobra display their skills ahead of the Euro 2008 football championships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Its a type of ballistic blanket/sheet its light and easily carried and when opened up as in the photo it can be draped over the body.

Its probably level 2 and would prevent 9mm,.38,.357 penetration but the blunt trauma is gonna be very sore.

Its a shield, however it can normally be carried like a brief case and at the push of a putton it falls open in less than a second.

Its mostly about cover, but can also provide concealment for the principal, especially if several are used simultaneously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thought so. It's a bit like something out of Batman Begins.

sdu will continue with the sig and uzi.

Seriously, who the hell are you and what do you base your comments on?

Sig is used by ERU as well for starters and as already stated: Uzi is obsolete. No new ones made, no parts and no maintenence still in existence! Uzi is gone once there are sufficient MP7s bought and officers are trained up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzi_submachine_gun
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2003/031217-uzi.htm

I will also print a link to the actual story in Garda review by the FTU themselves but I cant until its online. If your a member a copy should be floating around the station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PRND

I must say Karlito's Way, you are extremely aggressive. You seem to have posted a litany of half truths and when confronted with facts you back track and say "I have never seen..." as if something does not exist if you have not seen it. Especially when the subject matter concerns a unit which by its very nature is secretive.

If your attitude on here mirrors your professional conduct, I would question your suitability for the role which you claim to carry out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

PRND wrote: »
    I must say Karlito's Way, you are extremely aggressive. You seem to have posted a litany of half truths and when confronted with facts you back track and say "I have never seen..." as if something does not exist if you have not seen it. Especially when the subject matter concerns a unit which by its very nature is secretive.

If your attitude on here mirrors your professional conduct, I would question your suitability for the role which you claim to carry out.

PRND, please keep your replies on topic. This type of post would be better off sent directly to him via PM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PRND

I just think he has been out of order on more than one occasion and it has gone unchecked. There are many better ways to get a point across by beginning a post asking someone who the hell they are. There are obviously alot of anger issues there as well, starting a post with the superfluous word "Seriously".

I appreciate it is off topic but I'd be surprised if this person is a serving Garda and if he is, I'd say he doesn't have much in the way of career prospects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

That's not how things work here. If you have a a problem with a particular post then say it, but you don't go speculating about the poster, their motivations, careers or identity on an unrelated thread.

There won't be any more warnings.

Uzi is still in use by some units as MP7 hasn't been rolled out nationwide yet,that would explain why there were Gardai carrying uzi's at checkpoints during 'Operation Platinum' in Limerick.

[Btw,this is a PUBLIC forum,we aren't all in the know..so have a little patience and don't jump down each others throats every time you read something you don't like.There is no point whatsoever in getting worked up on an internet forum..so take it easy people!!!Plus,the mods are going to have start using their banning sticks..:eek: Let's not get people banned for silly reasons,eh?]

Back on topic,how do armed patrols work over here?Anything similar to ARV's with 3 personnel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

]Back on topic,how do armed patrols work over here?Anything similar to ARV's with 3 personnel?

Two officers crew ARVs in the counties. Not sure why the Met opted for 3, but there ya go.

Karl take a few deep breaths and exercise a little restraint fella. Its an open forum, so that means you'll have all sorts on here; cops, robbers, civvies as well as those pretending to be all of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

Three just makes it a lot easier and safer. Contact and cover, etc... Not sure what tactics the counties use for vehicle stop options but our seem to make sense having three..

Besides, It's always the case that you can always do with another pair of hands in these sort of situations...

Aye, three sets of hands is always better than two sure. But at the same time county ARVs not only get by with two crew members, they mostly seem to get more involved in local jobs. A county mates gripe is that their ARV crews are so proactive they try to beat local units to the good jobs and hand the paperwork over to the first local unit on scene! Yep London is busier than counties for firearms jobs but its all relative, less units bigger ground etc.

metman wrote: »
    Karl take a few deep breaths and exercise a little restraint fella. Its an open forum, so that means you'll have all sorts on here; cops, robbers, civvies as well as those pretending to be all of the above.

Apologies I just got a little annoyed by the fact that someone simple pops up and makes a statement of fact without offering anything to qualify it such as quotes, links or even offering any information which would suggest they themselves have some inside information.

Sig is used by ERU as well for starters and as already stated: Uzi is obsolete. No new ones made, no parts and no maintenence still in existence! Uzi is gone once there are sufficient MP7s bought and officers are trained up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzi_submachine_gun
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2003/031217-uzi.htm

I will also print a link to the actual story in Garda review by the FTU themselves but I cant until its online. If your a member a copy should be floating around the station

Easy on there,

Dont wish to say where i get my info from other than i am a regular poster here and its up to people whether they want to believe me or not, i dont mind.

I dont understand why you are getting so upset.

The SDU carry sigs and uzis. There is no plan to train them soon in the MP7.

The use and maintenance of uzis will continue for a long time in the force.

The .38 is still in use by regular units even though the sig has been in use by the force for a long time
    Now have a nice day.:)

• Advertisement

Easy on there,

Dont wish to say where i get my info from other than i am a regular poster here and its up to people whether they want to believe me or not, i dont mind.

I dont understand why you are getting so upset.

The SDU carry sigs and uzis. There is no plan to train them soon in the MP7.

The use and maintenance of uzis will continue for a long time in the force.

The .38 is still in use by regular units even though the sig has been in use by the force for a long time
    Now have a nice day.:)

well I would ask you politely to qualify your comments with some evidence as I have provided for my comments. Sadly the latest edition of Garda review is not yet online but the article about the firearms training unit titled 'Gun culture' states that the UZI is obsolete and parts are no longer supplied via contract as the supplier is no longer manufacturing the weapon or parts. Not sure how I can get it online, scanning I suppose.

As for the .38, well theres not much I can offer to prove otherwise. Im very surprised to say the least that you havent seen regular DDU carrying Sigs. I have links but I will leave it too you if you accept them or not as they are messagenboards and the information is old
    http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/~peoplesr/forums/showthread.php?t=102659&page=8
    http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/archive/index.php/t-357.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement