Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blatter at it again - does he have a point?

• 08-05-2008 8:03pm

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3533496,00.html

He's now calling for quotas of foreigners cos its the Premier League teams turn to dominate the Champions League. Personally Im in 2 minds, I think if u look at it, other teams in other leagues do the exact same thing...think Real building a team around Zidane, Bob Carlos, Figo etc or Barca with Deco, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Larsson, Messi etc

Lets look at it objectively? Take the 2 teams in this years final:

Man United: U have a core of 6 English players who could arguably be starters (Rio, Brown, Hardgreaves, Scholesy, Carrick, Rooney) Out of these Id say at least 5 will start with all fit.

Chelsea: U have 4 English probable starters in Cole, Terry, Cole and Lampard.

Now lets look at previous finals and the number of home country players in the starting 11's:. I have highlighted the English teams and in general they are among the lowest here.

Milan - 7 Italians
    Liverpool - 3 English

Barca - 3 Spanish
    Arsenal - 2 English

Liverpool - 2 English
    Milan - 4 Italians

Porto - 9 Portuguese
    Monaco - 6 French

Milan - 6 Italians
    Juve - 5 Italians

Madrid - 6 Spanish
    Leverkusen - 7 Germans

I do realise that had Arse made the final this year there is a chance they would have started with no English players, does Wengers argument of merits over passports hold or should teams be obliged to keep some form of home nationality about them?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

is it yesterday again?

is it yesterday again?

Apologies, exam season, havent been on much. If a mod wantes to merge or whatever no problemo. But I ran back a few pages and saw no thread....

Advertisement