Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Northern Reg Car(that was originally regisitered in the Republic)

Options
  • 08-05-2008 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

I`m buying my first car in the next few days(been using a company car for the last few years) and I`m not sure if I will face any additional charges. I`ll explain:

I`m buying off an ex work colleague who is now living in Northern Ireland. He bought the car in Dublin when he lived and worked here before eventually moving up the North and re-registering it up there.

So it has Northern plates and is registered in the North. Can I just get it changed back to its original registration down here and bobs your uncle or will I have to pay any duties etc.

Apologies if these are noob questions but as I say it is my first time purchasing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm thinking if the car was originally registered down here then the VRT would have already been included in the purchase price so technically there should be no need to pay VRT on it again. I would imagine though that the VRO would look for proof that the car was originally registered in the Republic through registration documentation, etc.

I'm only guessing here though and the above is not hard fact. Maybe a phone call to your local VRO will shed some light on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

I did exactly that a few years ago, brought a car up North when I moved there, registered it in the UK, then brought it back down reregistered it back to it's old ROI reg number no problem. Just had to show the original documentation. I can't remember paying any additional fees

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like I should be ok but I`ll give the nearest VRO a ring tomorrow to confirm. The guy still has the original Dublin plates and documentation. I`ll go through it all with him when we meet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

adox wrote: »
    The guy still has the original Dublin plates and documentation. I`ll go through it all with him when we meet up.

When I imported a UK reg car I had to hand over the V5C to the Revenue.

Does this not apply in the UK/NI, i.e. you get to keep the original VRC when registering the car?

Or are you talking about some other form of documentation?

I guess if you have a chassis number that would allow them to trace the car.

Having number plates doesn't prove anything-you can walk into any motor factors and have them made up without any documentation.
    Dwilly wrote:
    I did exactly that a few years ago, brought a car up North when I moved there, registered it in the UK, then brought it back down reregistered it back to it's old ROI reg number no problem. Just had to show the original documentation. I can't remember paying any additional fees

Yes but you would (more than likely) have been exempt from VRT anyway as long as you already owned and used the car in the UK prior to importing it.

(FWIW, it would seem ridiculous that VRT would have to be paid again)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭kindalen

you cannot pay vrt twice.

• Advertisement

Getting the car tomorrow so will be off to the nearest VRO to get it sorted(tried ringing but to no avail).

I`ll post back when I have it sorted. Thanks for the replies.

Ok got it all sorted. I went to the VRO with the car and all the documents I had with it. They checked the details on their system to make sure it had been originally registered here and also came out to the car to check the chassis number.

They gave me a letter declaring that it had been originally registered here and they had checked the chassis number and gave the original 05D reg of it as well.

I went to the motor tax ofice today and got it re-registered back to its original plate number and in my name and also taxed for the year.

So it was fairly straight forward in the end and no charge for re-registering it.

I should have a new log book in 2 - 3 weeks.

Thanks again to all for the advice.:)

Advertisement