Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Player License

• 08-05-2008 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

I, like most other football fans, am sick of watching players (which includes the players of the club i support) diving to win decisions, complaining with the referee over perfectly valid decisions and generally acting like stroppy women on the pitch. This used to a be a real man's sport, now it's scorned as the nancy boy's game!

A couple of years ago the Brescia coach Carlo Mazzone voiced the idea of a 'European Player License', to stamp out diving in the game.

This would entail each professional player in Europe being issued a footballing license. Points would be applied to the license for the standard yellow cards and sendings off, but would also include; blatant diving, off the ball incidents and other infringements which would be verified post-match using video technology and a review panel (employed by the football association in each country).

The effects of this would be, for example, if a player accumulates 5 points for infractions, they are suspended for 1/2/3 games. Obviously a sending off would be an automatic 5 points, but avoiding specifics of point allocation, the system seems fairly sound.

I think it's a brilliant idea as managers wouldn't want players picking up points on the license because they'd miss matches, and nothing can hide from the cameras these days with all the angles.

Diving's sometimes difficult to judge, but the panel would decide and obviously it would only be in cases where they could prove no contact was made and that the wrong decision was given (also for off the ball-incidents). It would help referee's handle players on the pitch and wouldn't interrupt the flow of a game.

Also, decisions could be reversed e.g. Player doesn't dive, ref gives 2nd yellow against him. Would work to the referees advantage, because anything they get wrong the panel would correct.

I'd be interested in peoples views on this.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement