Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue Piercing - need advice

Options
  • 08-05-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey new to dis but I wanna get my tongue pierced but havent had da "balls" to do it for years cuz I have a very low pain treshold. I've had piercings done before ie ears 5 times nose twice and belly button done twice too. BUT i dont know wat to expect when i go and get it done.

1. How much would it cost? Location recommendations in dublin/longford?
    2. Do they numb ur tongue or mouth before doing it?
    3. How long would it take to heal?
    4. Wat can you eat after getting it done? Baby food? OR how long would it be before i cud eat normal foods?
    5. Wat to look for if infection is starting?

Ok maybe the last one is sounding a bit paranoid but I wanna be fully aware of all aspects before I go ahead. Plus i dont want to look like a gob****e going into da piercings place asking all these questions.

Hope someone can help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Em_2008

ever heard of google or the search button in this very forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Q1: About €60 or so. Places in no particular order (all in Dublin)
    Snakebite on middle abbey street
    Bodyshock in templebar (beside central bank)
    V piercings in Inkwell tattoo (beside 4 courts, voodoo lounge)
    Adonis piercing, in teh back of miss fantasias
    Wildcat in stephens green or abbey street or ashbourne
    Q2:No, too dangerous, some people react badly to anaesthetic and certainly would never numb your tongue. Also piercers are not qualified doctors, so are not allowed legally give anaesthetic.
    Q3:A few months but initial swelling will die down withing 2-3 weeks maximum
    Q4: Foods that are easy to eat and dont require much chewing, soup etc. check the quote down below
    Q5:Tongue's rarely get infected but if it is, it will be blackish, maybe yellowish with puss coming out. Won't happen if you go to a decent place.
    Oral piercings:

*wash your hands

*rinse your mouth out with diluted mouthwash. About half mouthwash, half water. If it stings increase the amount of water in the solution.

*Remove crusties if its a labret or cheek piercing. Clean the outside of the piercings also with your salt water mix using a Q-tip.

*Try avoid cigarettes, drinking and kissing for the first while (i know this wont happen). Also if it is a tongue piercing keep away from dairy products, the bacteria in them are generally harmless but you could be unlucky. Solid food will also be difficult enough to chew. Soup is a good place to start

JemimaPD: Yeah there are links here and the search button. You are pretty new here though so don't worry. Just for future reference though

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JemimaPD

Em_2008 wrote: »
    ever heard of google or the search button in this very forum?

I did google it except i was getting hits of Piercings gone wrong etc.

On a different note: Methods for dealing with the pain ?? Like i said i have a very low pain treshold

I wouldnt worry about it, i was bricking it before I got it done. I am not tough mo fo but really barely felt a pinch. Nerves are the worst I find. You will be fine.
    Sucking on ice as soon as possible after getting it pierced will alleviate swelling and some pain. You will be fine.
    The piercer should put your nerves at ease. Its normal to be scared though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

DOnt get it done, leads to an increased risk of blood clot and then heart attack:eek:

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill - my mind can now rest a little til da nerves hit me again :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cyberfan

it costs from 40 - 60 euro if you have had piercings done before then you pretty much know what to expect, he will clamp your tongue then push a pointed bar threw it, it is only sore for a second, if done correctly, if done incorrectly it can bleed which shouldnt happen. Healing time various again everyone is different make sure you get a long bar to allow for swelling rince your mouth several times daily salt water or mouth wash and keep your mouth/teeth as clean as possible to avoid infection, you dont need to live on soups and liquid food myself and a friend could eat our normal food from day one it just feels weird for a while, anyway good luck with it,

Redpunto wrote: »
    DOnt get it done, leads to an increased risk of blood clot and then heart attack:eek:

What are you talking about? If you can back it up with hard evidence be my guest.

Redpunto wrote: »

I agree that there is a risk as there is with nearly every tattoo or piercing or operation. The question really is - Is it worth it? For me - i wanted to get it done for approx 6years I still want it done I have made my mind up.

Valid point tho. cheers

Is it worth it? If you want it done, then yes it is.

• Advertisement

cheers for the message cyberfan.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You won't get better advice anywhere than the advice Wilburt gave to be honest.
    Go to one of the places he duggested and you will have absolutely nothing to worry about.
    Pretty important to follow the dairy food/alcohol/smoking advice too if you want a hassle free healing process.

As for getting the piercing done itself, it'll be pretty pain free. There'll be a split second of pinching pain, then it's all done, so nothing to worry about there, regardless of how high/low your pain threshold is.

We can only point people in the right direction, can't force them (unfortunately :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

*loads shotgun*

We can't?

nope :( you could try if you really wanted to though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Instead of making a new thread, I thought I'd just bring this one back up. I've read through old threads about this.

I'm considering getting it done in the next week. Just have one question, may be stupid but is it possible to play sports while having a tongue piercing? I'm a goalkeeper as well.

Just wondering how long you can't play for.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭suzaane

SantryRed wrote: »
    Instead of making a new thread, I thought I'd just bring this one back up. I've read through old threads about this.

I'm considering getting it done in the next week. Just have one question, may be stupid but is it possible to play sports while having a tongue piercing? I'm a goalkeeper as well.

Just wondering how long you can't play for.

Thanks.
    i played like two days after i got it done, it's just a bit weird to breath and stuff cause your tongue is swollen and you're running around and stuff? :}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

suzaane wrote: »
    i played like two days after i got it done, it's just a bit weird to breath and stuff cause your tongue is swollen and you're running around and stuff? :}

Ah that's grand so, thanks. Season's just finished so have a month's break as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Here how long do you have a lisp?

depends on the person, i coudlnt talk properly for about 4 days until the swelling went down. then was fine.

• Advertisement

Is the lisp very prominent?

Dude! It depends on the person!!!
    I know some people who could talk fine as they didn't swell that much, me I could barely be understood. Totally depends on the person

Alright thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Wilburt wrote: »
    Dude! It depends on the person!!!
    I know some people who could talk fine as they didn't swell that much, me I could barely be understood. Totally depends on the person

also on how much alcohol you manage to refrain from drinking striaght after the piercing...

haha I'll try and stay away from it for a good 2 weeks.

Hey just thought id do an update,

Got it done the day after bank hol, Went to snakebite in dub. Have to recommend it if i can. The guy there was brilliant, he kept talking to me and explained every little detail. Was totally nervous before i spoke to him. Once he started it took less than 5 mins and i was done. U tend to hear horror stories of lots of bleeding but as i found a good piercer tends to cause very little bleeding. Tongue swelled up for a few days and felt like i had a sore throat but after litteraly living on Mr Freeze coolpops for 2 days the swelling was gone. It cost €55 and this includes the revisits over the next few weeks so that the bar can be shortened as its pretty long at the beginning cuz of the swelling. U have to make sure u dont drink any alcoholic drinks for the first two weeks or until the bar is shortened SO that means the mouthwash u do use initially is one that has no alcohol (info for anyone who is intending in getting it done). I still have a bit of a lisp but everyone is different. The only negative thing really is that if u eat something u have to wash ur mouth out with salt water (added protection against infection) and NO DAIRY PRODUCTS, so that means NO CHOCOLATE, which i tend to eat in very small portions now and have to def use salt water (yuk) until the bar is shortened.

Good luck with anyone getting it done in the future.

Advertisement