Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optional Q. in Maths (H)

Options
  • 08-05-2008 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

My class are doing the further calculus and series question (along with most of the rest of the country it seems) but I'd really prefer to do the further probability question instead. I picked it up fairly quickly for the other questions but differentiation was never my strong point.

Problem is, my book doesn't cover the extra prob. question so I was just wondering are there any websites that cover the question? I'd prefer not to go get a totally new book just for that one question!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, A-Level maths is divided up into pure, mechanics and statistics modules. The statistics modules go a lot more in depth than the further prob and stats on the LC course.

http://www.mathsnetalevel.com/module.php?ref=S1

Username = march. Password = march.

Look at the syllabus for Further prob and statistics at http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_maths_sy.pdf?language=EN and then do the relevant parts of the 'S' modules on mathsnetalevel. Then just do exam papers. It's a really nice question.

If you run into any difficulties, just ask here or http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38 where'd you probably get a really quick answer from an oxbridge maths type.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

If you can get your hands on an older version of your textbook it should be in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

deise59 wrote: »
    Problem is, my book doesn't cover the extra prob. question so I was just wondering are there any websites that cover the question? I'd prefer not to go get a totally new book just for that one question!

As mentioned in other posts on this topic, each of the three main textbook authors: O.D. Morris (Text and Tests), Oliver Murphy, and Aidan Roantree, has written a supplementary booklet for the probability option and another for the groups option. (Basically, an extra chapter produced as a seperate booklet.)

If your local bookshop doesn't stock them, they should be able to order it for you.

(I'm assuming you're not doing the LC this year - if you are, it's a bit late to be switching your option now.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

(I'm assuming you're not doing the LC this year - if you are, it's a bit late to be switching your option now.)

I think it could be done in a few hours. OP, I believe in you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I did the further probability option in 5 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I'm am doing the leaving this year actually! Sure we haven't even finished the further calculus and series question yet, so still plenty of time

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

As mentioned in other posts on this topic, each of the three main textbook authors: O.D. Morris (Text and Tests), Oliver Murphy, and Aidan Roantree, has written a supplementary booklet for the probability option and another for the groups option. (Basically, an extra chapter produced as a seperate booklet.)
    Text and Tests doesn't have a separate booklet for further probability.

Text and Tests doesn't have a separate booklet for further probability.

I've heard conflicting information on that point so I'll defer to you. In the case of Murphy and Roantree, I have copies so I know they exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

sorry to dig up an old thread but curious do many people do this topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

TheDriver wrote: »
    sorry to dig up an old thread but curious do many people do this topic?

Barely anybody. The figure hovers around the zero mark every year. As everyone said, the further calculus questions is covered in every book, so I'd imagine that's why.

The figures are available for 2005 here in the chief examiner's report. It says 3% did Further Probability and Statistics, 2% did Groups and nobody did further geometry.

I don't think you can get the firgures for any year more recent than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jamser89

Further probability q is easier imo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Groups rocks socks! lol

I must say its my 1st year teaching further prob and its actually quite easy compared with calculus, questions seems more predicted, work is a lot less to learn and also to answer. Groups is a lovely question but can be a bit beyond most leaving cert students as its fairly abstract

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

my class is doing further probability this year as one of the options. I donr know why more people dont do it, i find Statistics and Probability to be very easy actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Jay P wrote: »
    Barely anybody. The figure hovers around the zero mark every year. As everyone said, the further calculus questions is covered in every book, so I'd imagine that's why.

The figures are available for 2005 here in the chief examiner's report. It says 3% did Further Probability and Statistics, 2% did Groups and nobody did further geometry.

I don't think you can get the firgures for any year more recent than that.

I honestly don't know why the SEC even bother even including the further geometry question on the exam paper. Even the old edition of Text & Tests 5, which did cover Further Probability and Groups, didn't bother covering Further Geometry.
    The options question on the syllabus really needs to be looked at.

I honestly don't know why the SEC even bother even including the further geometry question on the exam paper. Even the old edition of Text & Tests 5, which did cover Further Probability and Groups, didn't bother covering Further Geometry.
    The options question on the syllabus really needs to be looked at.

Well, only two more years to go anyway. The options will all be gone from 2012 when the Project Maths syllabus comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that. I'll definitely be taking a look at the new syllabus out of curiosity when it comes in.

the syllabus is online now, though its a rolling project. Options are all gone as are vectors and matrices but the optional probability is now being included as core, plus no options in the exam i.e. you must answer every q

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I find Further Calculus and Series very easy. Mainly because calculus is what's saving my arse on the exams.

TheDriver wrote: »
    the syllabus is online now, though its a rolling project. Options are all gone as are vectors and matrices but the optional probability is now being included as core, plus no options in the exam i.e. you must answer every q

No vectors?! But vectors are like, essential for any maths-related 3 level course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement