Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking on the grass?

Options
  • 08-05-2008 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Is it legal to park on the grass outside your house in a housing estate? Im refering to the grass that runs between the footpath and the road. The foot path would not is not blocked in any way by the car.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Dunno if it's illegal but a hell of alot of people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Holsten wrote: »
    Dunno if it's illegal but a hell of alot of people do it.
    Yeah i know, just wondering if my neighbour is justified on calling the guards on me. Oh and its the grass outside my house not his.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC it is still part of the pavement and may therefore be against the law. Did the gardai come and if so what did they say? Did your neighbour talk to you first?
    I have grass outside my house and really dislike when people park on it. I also dislike when neighbours park on their grass as it tends to spoil the look overall outside both houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Can you not park the whole car on the road? If nothing else, it wrecks the grass (that isnt yours to begin with ) and makes the place look scruffy.

Whether it's illegal or not I dont know.

kbannon wrote: »
    IIRC it is still part of the pavement and may therefore be against the law. Did the gardai come and if so what did they say? Did your neighbour talk to you first?
    No he didnt, i just moved into the house. Yes the guards came but i had left at that stage and they said not to block the foothpath

I have grass outside my house and really dislike when people park on it. I also dislike when neighbours park on their grass as it tends to spoil the look overall outside both houses.
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Can you not park the whole car on the road? No because the neighbour has 3 cars a mini truck and takes up all the parking
    If nothing else, it wrecks the grass (that isnt yours to begin with ) and makes the place look scruffy. To be honest i dont really care about the scruffy bit because most of the grass on the estate is already ruined

Whether it's illegal or not I dont know.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sundy wrote: »
    :pac:

Thats the "can-do, everyone else is so I will too" attitude that builds good communities.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Thats the "can-do, everyone else is so I will too" attitude that builds good communities.

Exactly i get on real well with the neighbours on the other side who park on the grass outside their house

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...birds of a feather...

Yeah i probably should have said im not looking for people opinions just what the law is. To be honest i dont really care if people think it doesnt look nice but when the road isnt wide enough to park on and the drive can only hold one car i dont really have a choice. Maybe i should jut block the road instead and keep the estate looking nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I blame the Planners... and by extension, the Architects. You don't need a doctorate to foresee this type of parking shortage, its countrywide.

Another symptom of the "quick buck" system, builders doing it on the cheap and planning approved based on some dopey public transport future availability scenario.

Sick of it.

(sorry for the rant but...)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Oilrig wrote: »
    I blame the Planners... and by extension, the Architects. You don't need a doctorate to foresee this type of parking shortage, its countrywide.

Another symptom of the "quick buck" system, builders doing it on the cheap and planning approved based on some dopey public transport future availability scenario.

Sick of it.

couldnt agree more imo

Sick of it.

or the greedy developers insisting on the lowest density possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

The short-and legal-answer is No, you can not park on the footpath or the grass. The fine on the spot in this case is "parking on the median strip" but "parking on the footpath" may also be used. Whether or nor an individual Guard decides to use this or not is up to them at the time but if one does not issue one don't assume the next one won't as they may think differently.
    Don't mean to sound blunt but hope that clears it up for you..

brayblue24 wrote: »
    The short-and legal-answer is No, you can not park on the footpath or the grass. The fine on the spot in this case is "parking on the median strip" but "parking on the footpath" may also be used. Whether or nor an individual Guard decides to use this or not is up to them at the time but if one does not issue one don't assume the next one won't as they may think differently.
    Don't mean to sound blunt but hope that clears it up for you..
    Thank you, blunt is good. I prefer fact to opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can park on the grass, as long as the grass is growing on the road. Otherwise, it is illegal.

And I don't care that you don't care what we think of you. :p

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

It may not be your grass, but when you cut the grass in your garden, do you cut this little patch aswell? Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'm struggling to believe that someone called the Guards over a car parked on a grass verge that wasn't even outside his house, I'm surprised they gave it the time of day. Would he prefer to be taken out by the maniac overtaking the car if it was parked on the road?

Molehill<Mountain tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i live on the pigeon house road ( the gateway all the idiots take to skip into the east link instead of usingthe sean moore road... which is a Big mistake )

if you park on the grass:

formal warning

fine

then you car gets removed if repeated... unless you request permission from DCC

either way its a pain inthe lower genital area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

Parking on the grass verge is scummy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Sick of it.

When I worked in the design game years ago there were very strict Plannaing laws with regard to the width of the road and amount of green area required for planning permission, however its seems these days developers can get away with anything, I seen estates where, if even one car is parked on the road, you would not be able to get an ambulance / fire brigade past.

• Advertisement
Advertisement