Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Torrie released

• 08-05-2008 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

WWE has come to terms on the release of WWE Diva Torrie Wilson as of today, May 8, 2008.

We wish Torrie the best in all her future endeavors.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/torriereleased

Pity, although she hasn't been up to much in years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I hope they haven't released her due to her injury, that would be very harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

:eek::eek::eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

:eek::eek::eek:

DAMN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

I'd say she is still employed in some way, just not a wrestling contract. She had mentioned in a blog on her myspace not long ago that she would be going to different countries promoting WWE as she wouldn't be able to wrestle anymore because of her back injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lita Forever

Wow..I'm shocked at this. I knew Torrie's days as an in ring competitor were more or less over..but I honestly expected WWE to keep her on as a public figure. She would have made a good ambassador for the WWE. From what I've seen of her in interviews she seems like an intelligent well spoken woman. It's just really surprising that they released her.

As for her being released because of her injury? I'm not so sure that that wasn't the reason. Torrie was featured regularly on Smackdown around the time of her injury. They brought Krissy Vaine up from DSW to work a feud with her. If she was healthy now I could easily see her mixing it up with Natalya and Victoria now.. Then again around the time of the injury they were also grooming Michelle McCool for a top babyface spot so who knows...if they can fire a woman for being pregnant then it wouldn't be far fetched for them to do the same because of an injury.

I'll miss Torrie. She seemed like a really nice like able person.She had a certain happy glow about her.. As a worker shew was obviously on the level of the top women like Mickie, Melina, etc..but she was miles ahead of the likes of Maria and Ashley. She could put on a decent basic match. I don't think Torrie gets enough credit for her improvement in the ring, especially considering how bad she was when she started in WCW. She worked her way up to a passable level when she could have coasted by doing the bare minimum. I think she would have achieved more in the ring had it not been for her injury.

Whatever Torrie decides to do now...I'm pretty sure wrestling isn't in her future. Her new clothes store is doing well and she'll probably continue down the line. It's a shame to see her go but I wish her the best in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

if they can fire a woman for being pregnant then it wouldn't be far fetched for them to do the same because of an injury.

Well Test was fired soon after he suffered a serious neck injury. I recall Edge being interviewed on Off The Record in Canada saying he was pretty pissed off with how the WWE handled it.

It must be even worse for the women considering nowadays they view the females as little more than pretty objects who should be in their mid to late twenties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

It must be even worse for the women considering nowadays they view the females as little more than pretty objects who should be in their mid to late twenties.

I think that's a little unfair, at least for right now just because I think they have the most depth in woman's wrestling they have ever had. They seem to be putting more of an emphasis on wrestling and are toning down the more raunchy stuff.

Right now they have Mickie, Beth Phoenix, Nathalya, Melina and Victoria who can all work pretty good. Also Kelly Kelly and Michelle McCool have improved alot too.

As for Torrie, I'm not surprised. She could easily have been let go anytime over the last 3 years. They had basically done all they could with her because she was limited in what she was able to do well.And that's not me having a go at her, I just think it's the truth. If she could manage and act as good as a Sherri Martel, they would have kept her but she couldn't. She had a better stint than most though and if she's been smart with her money she should be more than fine. Best of luck to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

about 3 years too late imo, WWE have let alot of talent go in recent years more deserving of a spot than torrie wilson.

I think that's a little unfair, at least for right now just because I think they have the most depth in woman's wrestling they have ever had. They seem to be putting more of an emphasis on wrestling and are toning down the more raunchy stuff.

Right now they have Mickie, Beth Phoenix, Nathalya, Melina and Victoria who can all work pretty good. Also Kelly Kelly and Michelle McCool have improved alot too.

What are the chances of that philosophy lasting though? I've heard them say countless times that they want to market the product more towards younger people, yet they soon end up going back to the 'sex sells' philosophy via a strip poker show, or a Playboy evening gown match and so on. They seem in two minds over the matter.

As for depth, personally I'd like to see more older women in the company. Debra was in her late thirties during the Attitude era and was one of the most popular females in the company. I don't know the ages of the current bunch, but I bet Victoria is the only one north of thirty. The rest are like extras out of Hollyoaks. I don't know why they won't go for more women in their thirties. It's like Logan's Run or something.

What are the chances of that philosophy lasting though? I've heard them say countless times that they want to market the product more towards younger people, yet they soon end up going back to the 'sex sells' philosophy via a strip poker show, or a Playboy evening gown match and so on. They seem in two minds over the matter.

When was the last time they had a evening gown match on Raw? Maybe one happened last week but I can't remember. I'm sure there will be 1 again but they have obviously toned it down to me for the last 6 months to me.

After some quick Wikipedia research, Lilian Garcia, Victoria, Cherry are all over 30. Layla hits the big 30 next moth too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

its a shame that they got rid of torrie......she was hawt!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

its a shame that they got rid of torrie......she was hawt!! :D

Yes she was.

She does have wonky t1ts thanks to a dodgy boob job though!

I wonder was she out of contract of just given the boot.

Wasnt there a bit of crap going on a couple of years ago where she threatened to quit if Billy Kidman got the door just cos he was giving her the hell yeah?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Wasnt there a bit of crap going on a couple of years ago where she threatened to quit if Billy Kidman got the door just cos he was giving her the hell yeah?????

I don't remember it, but she's been going out with one of the Spirit Squad guys for a good while now I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I was going to do a best of Torrie Wilson photo post, but I couldn't find the one of her getting the pin in a lingerie match, which was simply the best Torrie pic ever. Without it there just wasn't any point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Here is hoping that dog got the boot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Here is hoping that dog got the boot too.

Amen to that!
    Seriously, Torrie Wilson has had no business with that company since 2003 after the indecent proposal program. Her program with Carlito went nowhere and other than that, what else do you remember her for?

Playboy shoots? Glad she's gone to be honest. :)
    Now all they have left to do is fire Maryese, she's the only one there thats done less than Torrie in the last six years.
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

You have to feel sorry for her.I wouldn't be suprised if WWE fired her because of his injury.Good luck to her though.

When was the last time they had a evening gown match on Raw? Maybe one happened last week but I can't remember. I'm sure there will be 1 again but they have obviously toned it down to me for the last 6 months to me.

After some quick Wikipedia research, Lilian Garcia, Victoria, Cherry are all over 30. Layla hits the big 30 next moth too.

Well I'm not watching the current product so I'm not aware of the exact matches they are doing but I know they have been hyping Maria over her Playboy spread as they have done for other girls in the past. Hardly a great example for a younger audience. "Take your clothes off when you grow up and people will like you!" Not gonna see that on The Den!

As for those names, well Lillian is an announcer, Victoria as I figured is over thrity but they need her for her ability, whilst Cherry is playing the role of a younger lady. I'll put it like this, how many of the current Divas will be there in three year's time? Wouldn't you say they'll be moved on for the next batch of twentysomethings? I would say so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Well I'm not watching the current product so I'm not aware of the exact matches they are doing but I know they have been hyping Maria over her Playboy spread as they have done for other girls in the past. Hardly a great example for a younger audience. "Take your clothes off when you grow up and people will like you!" Not gonna see that on The Den!

As for those names, well Lillian is an announcer, Victoria as I figured is over thrity but they need her for her ability, whilst Cherry is playing the role of a younger lady. I'll put it like this, how many of the current Divas will be there in three year's time? Wouldn't you say they'll be moved on for the next batch of twentysomethings? I would say so.

Nah their will always be people like Maria but to counter that you have Nattie is awesome in the ring and the likes of Beth, Mickie and Melina who are all capable of putting on a good match and are easy enough on the eye as well.

I forgot Vickie and Mae too!

I think woman can stay in wrestling well into their 30's if they have something more to offer than just their look. Trish and Lita are 2 obvious examples. They just chose to go home though. No one was knocking at their door to go.

To me, WWE are pretty fair at retaining woman with ability and I can easily see alot of them being around in 3 years time if they want to be. It is a cosmetic business though and there'll always be some sort of a turn over though like there is with male wrestlers.

But if all you have to offer is how you look, to me you should just enjoy the ride, be thankful you have a spot and when it's over move on.

• Advertisement

They will retain women into their thirties who can wrestle but if we are talking about valets, then these days it seems you have to be in your twenties to get the nod. The likes of Debra and Ms Elizabeth, who were valets into their late thirties in the Atttitude era, just doesn't happen in the current era. Instead you have Johnny Ace looking for young magazine models who have no association with wrestling, ie Kelly Kelly. I think it's pretty silly.

Well WWE don't really do valets as much as they used to. I can only think of 1 right now and she is over 30 and that's Vickie.

Also Sharmel was in her 30's when she was with Booker last year aswell. Cherry was in her 30's when she was with Deuce and Domino too.

Again I just think if you bring more to the table than just your looks, more often than not they'll keep you. If Torrie had the ability to be a valet like a Sunshine or a Sherri Martel or a Sharmell, they would have kept her but she never helped anyone get over that she managed I don't think. Of course it's a cosmetic business at the same time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

But if all you have to offer is how you look, to me you should just enjoy the ride, be thankful you have a spot and when it's over move on.

Completely agree. She was replaced my a much younger and beautiful model in Kelly Kelly but she had a good run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

According to Torrie's official site, she requested her release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the only wrestler whom i remember that didn't get the traditional "WWE has come to terms on the release of ???? We wish ??? the best in all their future endeavors" is kurt angle and WWE talked working with him again in their piece http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/archive/3230064
    http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/archive/chairmanonangle

rossie1977 wrote: »
    the only wrestler whom i remember that didn't get the traditional "WWE has come to terms on the release of ???? We wish ??? the best in all their future endeavors" is kurt angle and WWE talked working with him again in their piece http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/archive/3230064
    http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/archive/chairmanonangle

There have been others that spring to mind, specifically Dustin Runnell's and Marty Janetty's release notes, especially Janetty's where the statement specifically stated that WWE have severed all relations with Janetty.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

road dogg didnt get a press release did he?

To be honest, he got suspended for his drug problems at the end of December 2000 and eventually released one month later. I don't think WWE were posting up all their firings on the website at that particular point in time.

I could be wrong though.
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

Yeah, I heard she requested a release. Heard she's gonna become a WWE spokeswoman and concentrate on opening up more of her boutiques

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Very sad that she has left but wouldn't be suprised if you see her n TNA soon enough. She is so hot it's unreal, when herself, Stacy Keibler and Trish were still around. Those were the days :pac: :D

The significant difference is that at least Trish learned how to wrestle after 3 years, unlike Stacy and Torrie. If i want eyecandy, i'll watch Playboy UK or Hollyoaks, if i want wrestling i'll watch a wrestling promotion.

At least in theory, that should work. ;)
    VR!

The significant difference is that at least Trish learned how to wrestle after 3 years, unlike Stacy and Torrie. If i want eyecandy, i'll watch Playboy UK or Hollyoaks, if i want wrestling i'll watch a wrestling promotion.

At least in theory, that should work. ;)
    VR!

They added to the glamour that Vince promoted, Trish was class he made her do some awful stuff though, one i can remember was the storyline with Vince himself it was fairly sick.

The occasional woman added Glamour that Vince promoted. Liz and Sherri added glamour in the 80s, Sunny and Sable added glamour in the 90s. By the time 99 came around, WWE was overloaded with a load of talentless tits and ass. Sadly bugger all has changed nearly ten years on.

The storyline was touched upon on the McMahon DVD, Trish stated at the time that it wasn't a problem as it made for pretty good TV.

VR!

The storyline was touched upon on the McMahon DVD, Trish stated at the time that it wasn't a problem as it made for pretty good TV.

Alot of people said things on that dvd.

Well to be fair, people say stuff on their own shoot interviews, but mark fans still don't believe it anyway.

So um, it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. Joey Styles slated the hell out of Vince on that DVD, especially over the XFL, he didn't exactly lose his job over it now, did he? ;)

VR!

• Advertisement

My random memories of watching that God awful dvd are:

- Gerald Brisco saying Vince doesn't like ass kissers. That made me smile.

- Kurt Angle praising Vince like no man ever has before (and then bashing him 3 months later when he gets released from the company).

- I have a vague recollection of other wrestlers doing the same but Kurt was in a different league.

Just on the Trish thing, I remember at the time Jeff Mareck being on Wrestling Observer. He knew Trish pretty well having presented the LAW with him and I have a vague recollection of him saying she was uncomfortable with it.

My random memories of watching that God awful dvd are:

- Gerald Brisco saying Vince doesn't like ass kissers. That made me smile.

- Kurt Angle praising Vince like no man ever has before (and then bashing him 3 months later when he gets released from the company).

- I have a vague recollection of other wrestlers doing the same but Kurt was in a different league.

Just on the Trish thing, I remember at the time Jeff Mareck being on Wrestling Observer. He knew Trish pretty well having presented the LAW with him and I have a vague recollection of him saying she was uncomfortable with it.

I actually thought the DVD was hilarious, especially when Steph brings up the subject of the incest storyline and then trying to get Shane in on it. The thing about Pro Wrestling is a lot of former talent in promotions tend to do all their bitching after they get released (except RVD who bitched for years during his time there and somehow didn't manage to get fired). As opposed to their time during the promotion.

That said I do see your point about not taking everything seriously out of a WWE produced DVD. History is generally told by the winners anyway ;)

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Sexiest diva EVER... along with Keibler.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Sexiest diva EVER... along with Keibler.

Couldn't agree more :pac: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    They added to the glamour that Vince promoted, Trish was class he made her do some awful stuff though, one i can remember was the storyline with Vince himself it was fairly sick.

Anyone know a weblink to that segment? Never actually seen it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement