Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

urgent - help required

Options
  • 08-05-2008 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi Folks,

Was taking my wheel off my pulsar vzr to tighten the wheel arch trim and when I tried to put the wheel back on the nuts wouldln't go back on properly, the threads on the studs looked in bad shape. I tried to force the nuts on and I'm after sheering off one of the studs clean off and the other bolts are all jammed solid with the wheel hanging off the car.

I need the car for tommorow afternoon, can anyone offer advice as to where to get new studs or do I need to get a new hub?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Get it to a mechanic, they'll deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

The wheel will have to be taken off and you're gonna have to strip away the brake caliper and disc. If you're lucky, there'll be enough room to tap the stud knubs out between the cv joint and the hub. If not, you gotta remove the lower arm, track rod end and drive shaft from the hub - not the easiest without an air-gun.

You'll get the nut and studs in a nissan dealership - doubt you'd be able to get them in a motor factors.

Good luck!

EDIT - if you get the new ones in, put the wheel back on (before you put the brakes back together) and use the nuts to pull the stud through the hub by tightening them. And ffs, thread them in by hand to make sure you're on the right thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

land9 wrote: »
    The wheel will have to be taken off and you're gonna have to strip away the brake caliper and disc. If you're lucky, there'll be enough room to tap the stud knubs out between the cv joint and the hub. If not, you gotta remove the lower arm, track rod end and drive shaft from the hub - not the easiest without an air-gun.

You'll get the nut and studs in a nissan dealership - doubt you'd be able to get them in a motor factors.

Good luck!

EDIT - if you get the new ones in, put the wheel back on (before you put the brakes back together) and use the nuts to pull the stud through the hub by tightening them. And ffs, thread them in by hand to make sure you're on the right thread!

solid advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rALLy

Hi guys,

All sorted, got new studs and nuts from Nissan this morning and got a mate mechanic to come and fit them, only took 20 mins. The old studs where destroyed, the last place that had the wheel off must have driven the nuts on with a gun and started on the wrong threads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

sounds like it !!

you only need 40 psi to put the nuts on , 45-50 to thighed them ( without burning the thread on the outside let alone the inside !! )

• Advertisement
Advertisement