Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you wish you knew when you were finishing college...

• 08-05-2008 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

Well, next Friday will mark the end of my 4 years. Do share the wisdom:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

It wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

You can forget most of what you've learned.(If you haven't already)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sherifu wrote: »
    You can forget most of what you've learned.(If you haven't already)
    or if you learnt anything ..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Your job has nothing to do with what you learned in college, other than in name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What did you study OP?

By the way, the quote in your sig is amazing! Talk about a perfect example of a particularly satirical Simpsons moment occurring in real life...
    Bart: Lis! Lis, come here, I found him! I found Edgar Neubauer.
    [points at a tombstone: "Edgar Neubauer: Beloved husband and old
    grouch (1831-1909)"]
    Oh my God...the dead have risen and they're voting Republican.
    Lisa: [gasp] No, Bart, don't you see? Dead people can't vote.
    [pulls out list, looks at another tombstone]
    Prudence Goodwyfe, died 1641. She voted for Bob too. [gasps] So
    did Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper.
    [walking] Even the pet cemetery voted for Bob, look! Mr. and
    Mrs. Bananas, Humphrey Boa-Gart...oh, my poor dead kitty, please
    not you too...
    [checks list, sees "Snowball I"]
    [angry] All right, Bob, now it's personal!
    -- The Mayor crosses the line, "Sideshow Bob Roberts"

The Springfield Shopper headline reads, "Call for Probe in Bob Flap",
    with an editorial on "Why Not Let Dead Pets Vote?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

Yes please keep the wisdom coming, for the record i'll have some class of B.A in Economics in a few weeks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goldfish007

learned that a year on and the HSE ****e is still not improving and so.....a year on, a year of loosing my skills, i am still unemployed! fantastic.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

That sound engineers get all kinds of chicks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I would do a different course!

They crammed so much into the 4 years that I left knowing a little about everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Dudess wrote: »
    What did you study OP?

By the way, the quote in your sig is amazing! Talk about a perfect example of a particularly satirical Simpsons moment occurring in real life...
    I studied Civil Engineering but I'm not mad about it tbh. That's for another thread though!

I must have more nuggets of wisdom!

• Advertisement

What age are you?

Dudess wrote: »
    What age are you?
    22!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

lots of what i learned doesnt apply to everyday use and that the knives i used for the guts of college were shít

22!
    My advice would be to do another course so. I'm 30 (well I'm clutching for dear life to the dying days of my 20s - 10 of them to be exact :() and only just embarking on a career. I'm not saying to leave it that late, but you've plenty of time. Is there anything of interest to you that you could do as a postgrad?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

that i would be back again twice

what you learn you forget

jerry springer is better then lectures

you can always go back but its not the same

its ok to change direction

dont worry about changing career

15 years from it wont matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

man, I finished my undergrad 2 years ago, I still can't believe its 2 years ago, it should be 5 months ago but time moves too fast. 10 months ago it was a year and 2 months ago but now its 2 years ago.

My advice, enjoy graduation and the fact that you have a degree. The newness of college will be forever lost but thats just a part of the experience. I cant wait to go back. I love college, the whole environment and culture of it was/is/still something brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I studied Civil Engineering but I'm not mad about it tbh. That's for another thread though!

I must have more nuggets of wisdom!

It's not really a great time for you to be joining the jobs market. 10 years ago you would have been set up nicely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

wednesday = me engineer \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Monday week I will be officially a Biomedical Engineer:D If I pass these god damn exams that is. So people keep these gems of wisdom coming!!

kowloon wrote: »
    It's not really a great time for you to be joining the jobs market. 10 years ago you would have been set up nicely.

Meh. There are jobs flying left, right and centre from what I've seen. I was offered a job in a place I did work experience last summer but I'm not really interested. Heading off for 6-8 months this summer though so I won't be looking for employment for at least a year and probably not in that field anyway.

@ Dudess: I haven't really seen anything I'd like to do a postgrad in but that's one of the main reasons I'm going away. I'm sort of toying of the idea of doing another undergrad that's more computer orientated but it would definitely have to be outside of Dublin because I couldn't hack living at home for another four years.

Ideally, I'll be back in March/April next year with a clearer idea. Although there's a good chance I won't be any clearer, at least I'll have plenty of time to look into things without the hassle of exams etc.

• Advertisement

In a week's time I'll officially be one of the thousands of people with newly obtained degrees, I can't wait for employers to start seducing me into working for them because of my unique skills.

oh yes one other college friends last forever

tribulus wrote: »
    In a week's time I'll officially be one of the thousands of people with newly obtained degrees, I can't wait for employers to start seducing me into working for them because of my unique skills.
    So your a business student then!! Im one of a select few myself:D

No I'm just a bit bemused by the naivety of some of the people I know in college and their expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I was under the impression that the engineering companies were not handing out many jobs these days, and i'd say a good portion of the ones going are the usual experience required types that are the bane of all graduates.

You don't have to start from scratch, postgrad diplomas FTW!
    As you know, computer and civil eng. mix rather well, you can still use your degree to your advantage.
    That said, if you do decide to start again as an undergrad you will get exemptions for a lot of maths related subjects. May take a bit of the sting out of it.

cobweb wrote: »
    oh yes one other college friends last forever
    Im analyzing that coment for sarcasm and im not sure whether you are or not?? Its probably just cause it late

I found my school friends last forever or at least this long. College friends I can't see myself making an effort to keep in contact with them tbh. There's nothing wrong with them, the majority of them are sound and down to earth. I'm just not bothered :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I wish I had known how cruel a mistress real life and the working world would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

After two years out of it, I'm returning to college in September (hopefully).

I'll tell you this much though, the "real world" fcking blows, college life is so much better than 9-5 bollocks and the stresses that come with it. That's what I've picked up after two years of it and plan on avoiding it again for as long as possible and enjoying college life while it lasts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Very little of what you learned has any relevence, never again will you have so many people with a scared knowledge of your chosen area & such passion prepared to discuss it all over a pint at 11am on a Monday morning in your company again and never again will you dress any crazily (in my case!)

cooperguy wrote: »
    Im analyzing that coment for sarcasm and im not sure whether you are or not?? Its probably just cause it late

nope not sarcasm tthe best friends i have i met in college 11 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Do what I did and do a job that will give you a broad range of experience but isn't too stressful. It would be a very big leap to go from what is essentially doing very little - well, structured stuff at least - to working 9 - 5 in a high-pressure job!

Nuggets of wisdom?

You think you'll spend less time on the internet, you probably spend more tbh - just look at boards!

Having money is unbelieveable for the first six months or so because you were so used to not having any, you spend very little. And you're getting a couple of thousand euro every month. Save what you don't spend and buy something you've always wanted - a car and an electronic drum kit in my case!

If there are a few people you get on really well with, make the effort to stay in contact even though they'll probably live hours away. It's not as easy as strolling down to teh pub that's five minutes away, but is worth the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

rb_ie wrote: »
    I'll tell you this much though, the "real world" fcking blows, college life is so much better than 9-5 bollocks and the stresses that come with it. That's what I've picked up after two years of it and plan on avoiding it again for as long as possible and enjoying college life while it lasts.

+1 to that. College life rules.

I wish I'd known that doing a journalism course doesn't necessarily make you a better writer, mainly cause they teach you feck all about writing. It's all laws, ethics, history, sociology, computers etc etc but no real tips on what makes a good writer. Pretty much everything I've learnt in that regard has come from stuff I've read personally or from those I've subsequently worked with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

I finished college last summer after 4 years. One year on since finishing, Im sad things have changed so much. We had a good class that got on great, but even so, none of us have met up for a drink or catch up since finishing. I just guess people will always go their separate ways. I miss college greatly, even though I spent every day there complaining about it! I work now, where I dont spend any time with people my own age; they are all older than me. I did a difficult course (Engineering) and after the 4 years of intense projects, etc. Im only on a average-good wage. I feel like I dont have fun any more and I wish I had went out more and had a greater laugh in college. Its been a downbeat year for me since finishing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

rb_ie wrote: »
    After two years out of it, I'm returning to college in September (hopefully).

Thats true imo, the "real world" sucks ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You're not gonna end up doing what you studied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

DONT START WORK STRAIGHT AWAY!!!!

So many people do this it scares me. They leave college and go straight into there career without ever taking some time to enjoy life. You have plenty of time for the career and mortgage, and every other ****ty thing life will throw at you.

Go travelling for at least a year; I don’t care where you go whether it is around Ireland, Europe or the world. Whatever you do don’t start a career get stuck in it and then look back in ten years and go man I wish I done all that stuff while I had the chance.

Sounds like advice from PI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Dimitri wrote: »
    Yes please keep the wisdom coming, for the record i'll have some class of B.A in Economics in a few weeks!!

Well, at least you'll know why you're unemployed.
    wednesday = me engineer \o/

Female engineers? What will they think of next?

I did a degree (three years but had to repeat one), a PLC cert and a masters. I finished college life at 28 (worked cushy office jobs whenever I wasn't studying). Dragging it out as long as possible ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I finished college when I was 19. Didn't care much for it. Don't care much for work either but hey, at least I gets paid for it.

• Advertisement

DONT START WORK STRAIGHT AWAY!!!!

So many people do this it scares me. They leave college and go straight into there career without ever taking some time to enjoy life. You have plenty of time for the career and mortgage, and every other ****ty thing life will throw at you.

Go travelling for at least a year; I don’t care where you go whether it is around Ireland, Europe or the world. Whatever you do don’t start a career get stuck in it and then look back in ten years and go man I wish I done all that stuff while I had the chance.

Sounds like advice from PI

Meh I've as much interest in traveling(other than holidays) as I do in ever going back to college, which is to say, none. It never appealed to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

As of today, (all going well) I am in possession of a BA in Psychology in NUI Galway...

*looks outside bubble*

Right, where's the nearest post grad?

Nah, might do some living for a year for a change; 17 years through the education system sounds like a rut to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

On Wednesday I become one of those thousands of Business students leaving with a degree (major - marketing, minor - entrepreneurship). Not sure what I really want to do as yet - have some idealistic dreams but not sure if it's feasible or possible

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Since I finished college 2 years ago myself and my degree subject have led completely seperate lives, and our paths have not crossed.

Edit: Sh1t, just realised that it is now 3 years since i finished college. Not 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Finished college last year, working in a pretty cushy & stress free job at the moment.

Pay isn't great but people are. I'm here for some money & experience then going to
    travel/work abroad for a year or two and then come back and do some more college :D

Only advise I could offer is don't jump into a career straight away, you'll have plenty of time for that. You're young so enjoy it while you can.

For the record: Business & Spanish, 22.

kowloon wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the engineering companies were not handing out many jobs these days, and i'd say a good portion of the ones going are the usual experience required types that are the bane of all graduates..

Nope, my place of work is looking to double the number of staff.

Advice: You'll realise that you'll have learnt more outside the lecture hall than in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Best advice i can give is; don't get caught up in the bullsh*t and every now and then take a step back and see if this is what you want right now. The place will be there long after you're not.

25 Senior Engineer

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

biko wrote: »
    You're not gonna end up doing what you studied.

Not always true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Work harder :pac:.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Any advice for someone finishing school on Wednesday? (probably). Sorry in advance for making anyone feel old ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement