Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas on studying

Options
  • 08-05-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Done the bare minimum on some subjects to get me by so far (which really means nothing) and i have seen all the other threads seeking help, well usually those people have done alot of work where as I havn't. I'm only doing 3 Higher level subjects and I need 345 points and I'm thinking I've left it to late but hey never to late to start :D , Weakest subject by far is Chemistry and Physics. So to try get the points i Require what would you think would be a good idea on study, 8-12 in the morning to 4-8 in the late afternoon/evening. And yes I am willing to work for these points as I want to do Arts in college and then become a teacher.
    So I want ideas people :D

Comments

Do the exam papers again and again and again and again and (yes) again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bowden

You don't think I'm hiting to high an agenda seeking 345 points with 3 Higher Subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Bowden wrote: »
    You don't think I'm hiting to high an agenda seeking 345 points with 3 Higher Subjects?

Depends on what the 3 subjects are and your ability at them really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Which subjects are you doing higher in and which are you doing ordinary in?

That would make it a bit easier to give advice. But as Myth says just keep doing papers!!!

If you do six ordinary subjects, the max points is 360 points. You're doing 3 higher, 3 ordinary, so that's a possible 480 points, if you get A1s in everything. So 345 is doable if you have the right attitude and believe in yourself.

Another piece of advice, I only learnt this in college, but if you're not sure of something ASK FOR HELP! It saves SO much time and you're more of a fool for not asking imho.

If you have any questions in Maths, Physics, Chemistry or French I may be able to help...

BULLER wrote: »
    Depends on what the 3 subjects are and your ability at them really...

Good at Business and English, teachers do expect me to do really well in these subjects, but my other one is very very weak so I guess I'll have to put most of my emphasis in that !

• Advertisement

tywy wrote: »
    Which subjects are you doing higher in and which are you doing ordinary in?

That would make it a bit easier to give advice. But as Myth says just keep doing papers!!!

If you do six ordinary subjects, the max points is 360 points. You're doing 3 higher, 3 ordinary, so that's a possible 480 points, if you get A1s in everything. So 345 is doable if you have the right attitude and believe in yourself.

Another piece of advice, I only learnt this in college, but if you're not sure of something ASK FOR HELP! It saves SO much time and you're more of a fool for not asking imho.

If you have any questions in Maths, Physics, Chemistry or French I may be able to help...

@ Higher level B.Studies, English, Physics @ Ordinary Maths, French, Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Maths, ask your teacher for past pre papers and do the exam paper questions.

Revise 2-3 chapters, then do 2-3 questions. See if you are able to retain the information. Write out formulas. Remember, Maths is LOGICAL, there's a right and wrong way, try everything. You get marks for attempts. Make sure you write anything. You can't get marked for stuff that's not there.

I think you should do the hard stuff first or else you could work your stronger questions to get maximum marks. :P

Maths, ask your teacher for past pre papers and do the exam paper questions.

Revise 2-3 chapters, then do 2-3 questions. See if you are able to retain the information. Write out formulas. Remember, Maths is LOGICAL, there's a right and wrong way, try everything. You get marks for attempts. Make sure you write anything. You can't get marked for stuff that's not there.

I think you should do the hard stuff first or else you could work your stronger questions to get maximum marks. :P

Thanks good idea, I'm going to do that for my Physics & Chemistry aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

www.examinations.ie look at the marking schemes and you can download past papers there if you need to.It will especially help you in your physics as it shows you what you need to get full marks and how often a question is asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

For English, well I LOVE, I EFFING LOVE PAPER 1. I'm the kind of person who can pull any idea for an essay out of my ass. I remember in the Pre the examiner gave me such amazing comments. But if you're not good at that,

tip 1) Do not write about the LC. Do not. Be abstract. Try to be different.
    2) Do not have a short story that goes on for years and years. 5-15 minutes timespan is amazing, just using descriptive detail
    3) Originality is great.

Hmm, Poetry is my weakest point. 58/70 in the pre x_x. But remember to relate the poem points to the question. You can write thematically (spelling?) or poem by poem.

skoool.ie has good points.

Othello:
    Know main characters (Iago, Desdemona and Othello) and some themes (most common are jealousy, betrayal, love etc) Know your quotes.

Bah, I can't help much because.. it's weird, I KNOW what to do but I can't put it in words. Sorry >_<

• Advertisement

I have well over a month too study for my Physics in which I will have 3 days to study before my exam(last exam :p) What will it take for me to pass this subject with a decent result, just keep going at the exam papers or , and this is my weakest subject by far... If anybody has been dire at physics and stuck at it how did you do? and what did you do to succeed.

And finally about French I think my oral went pritty well, and I want to do higher but not having a teacher in school is horrible, but should I do it at higher? ^^ Anyway back to do some study!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SebastienX

the gap in higher french and ordinary is quite large. Unless your clearly able for it, dont move up.
    at start of 6th year i entered higher level class. which was slow pace. so we started everything and i worked really hard at it and did it outside of school and i am not fluent at it. i got A2 in leaving but it was by far the subject i studied for most.
    maths ordinary is easy once you dont avoid the hard questions. i started off in higher set but only practiced questions i enjoyed doing aka easy ones. and this laziness and denial forced me to go ordinary when i defintely had the ability. but one thing about ordinary is that most questions are really really similar. so maths should not be a prob for you if you can do all questions in past papers.
    I found personally during 6th year it was close to impossible to study for long periods. my concentration was low at best. but the time i put into the subject i gave it 100%
    so my advice, which may be criticised my many is, do less amount of study in terms of hours and give it 100%, like really focus rather than slaving away for hours on end and just not really taking anything in. thats just how i got past anyway and i sumhow got a good LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Yeah, studying isn't about the time you put in, it's about what you take in during this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I agree the difference between ordinary and higher level french.I dropped down after my mock becuase i got a c3 and already had the honours subjects i needed and personally i found it easy compared to higher.If you do move up ,you will struggle on aural becuse that was my lowest mark in the oral (33:o) but in class i have been getting near 100marks in each past paper.Do what you're fit for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SebastienX

but in terms of written french. the difference between what is required for ordinary and higher is vast. different verbs and the standard expected in the written parts is quite high. Moving up to higher would be a bad move in my opinion if your are just basing it on a good oral.
    The people doing your oral will assess your language skills in a few seconds by your accent and your inital fluency and carry the exam on that standard.
    So the oral can leave you feeling very confident but you can hardly think you will get same mark as someone completely fluent. So just be cautious

SebastienX wrote: »
    but in terms of written french. the difference between what is required for ordinary and higher is vast. different verbs and the standard expected in the written parts is quite high. Moving up to higher would be a bad move in my opinion if your are just basing it on a good oral.
    The people doing your oral will assess your language skills in a few seconds by your accent and your inital fluency and carry the exam on that standard.
    So the oral can leave you feeling very confident but you can hardly think you will get same mark as someone completely fluent. So just be cautious

Yup your right I'm going to stay with my 3 Higher subjects anyway back to do some study!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

ahhhhhh je crois que le francais ect un piece d'piss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Bonj15

For the people that moved down to pass french...Is it easier to get an A1 in Pass than get a C3 in Honours??

I beleave so alot less grammer work and questions are like write in English or are in English!

Advertisement