Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Watch Your Dust Caps

Options
  • 08-05-2008 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Down in my dads today seen a youngfella doing somthing to my car so i leggit out of the house and chase him down the road.

He'd nicked my bloody dust caps????

Of all the things to nick? Dustcaps!!

Maybe he put them on his push-bike because he only nicked one side.

So i go back in to the house discruntled and vexed, then my da informs me his one's were nicked too,

I can understand his ones being nicked they were Merc ones with the 3-point star on the top, but mine were just silver:confused:

The mind boggles.

I'm getting new ones and thread locker this weekend:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Thread locker eh?

I foresee an interesting thread in the future... :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

as long as they are not the standard black rubber dustcaps, they will be taken, i can guarantee that!

the little fookers will rob them wether they are silver or pink, as long as the shiny there as good as gone.

i have caught so many little kids taking my "steelies" (what they call them)
    some kids have even asked me "mister, can i have your stellies" :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Oilrig wrote: »
    Thread locker eh?

I foresee an interesting thread in the future... :D

Nah just have a vice grips in the boot and a cloth, it'll be sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Wow - I would have thought he would have went down to the local service station. Usually you're guaranteed to find a couple lying around near the air line from others who forgot to put them back on. I've lost a few myself that way!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

crosstownk wrote: »
    Wow - I would have thought he would have went down to the local service station. Usually you're guaranteed to find a couple lying around near the airline from others who forgot to put them back on. I've lost a few myself that way!

they dont take the standard black rubbers ones, its the metal coloured ones there after.

and i agree on the thread locker, they dont lock them, you can still get them off by pulling your slieve over your hand and twisting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

4 standard black ones ... stolen off my jeep depends on the brains within said scumbag i've big tyres they obviously thought there was bigger valves.... God bless there shallow simple minds MISTER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

becareful about the locking types... heard about an incident where the valve itself was cut to steal the cap!! you can get these metal covers for your valves to prevent this, and they need to be put on while fitting the tyre.

I've had two sets of "stellies" stolen from me, both times while parked at the cinema, have now reverted back to plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

i hope mine don't get nicked, mine are AC Schnizters.

One time I had to buy a new set, cause I was getting my wheel repaired and the guy misplaced the cap. Dumbass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

ffs what a thing to get upset about...they're only bloody dustcaps :confused:

what next, complain about bugs splattering on your windscreen :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Ah jaysus lads, they're only dust caps, I used to do it myself when I was a kid !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

FredH3as wrote: »
    ffs what a thing to get upset about...they're only bloody dustcaps :confused:

what next, complain about bugs splattering on your windscreen :eek:

Yeah it's only stealing. No biggy rolleyes.gif

Some of these dustcaps are nice chrome/steel ones that complement the look of the car. And why shouldn't people complain if some little shytehawk is stealing their stuff regardless of how small a thing it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Touch my car, and I kill you.

...and dont get me started with bugs, especially with this nice weather we're havin

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Jip wrote: »
    Ah jaysus lads, they're only dust caps, I used to do it myself when I was a kid !

So It WAS You !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Mine were nicked as well, steel ones.

Where can you buy just the standard black ones, Woodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I got 4 shiny metal ones for 99c in the local pound shop, not really too pushed if they are nicked or not they are so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

Had my plastic ones robbed, then bought Richbrook locking ones off ebay, had them robbed too(then the kids who robbed them gave them back), couldn't care less now so just stick with the black plastic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i used to do this as a kid ( DON'T SHOOT ) , mind you , kids are kids , by no means the smartest thing on god green earth , but everyone learns sometime..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

http://www.rockshore.uk.com/richbrook-locking-anti-theft-spinning-valve-dust-caps-49-p.asp

Had them since the day I got alloys.
    Get some, be reassured your dustcaps are going nowhere without that key. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

ClioV6 wrote: »
    http://www.rockshore.uk.com/richbrook-locking-anti-theft-spinning-valve-dust-caps-49-p.asp

Had them since the day I got alloys.
    Get some, be reassured your dustcaps are going nowhere without that key. =)
    They're the dust caps that I had but dust/dirt got in between the outer spinning sleeve and the centre piece and then they were turnable without the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Slow day on boards today......

caught a young fella stealing my dust caps (again steel ones) a few years back. I grabbed a hold of his bike until he gave them back to me. Told the little fecker I 'd call the Gardai & his parents, he burst into tears & handed me 2 fistfuls of dustcaps! :eek: He was telling me he was sorry begging me not to call his folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Nah just have a vice grips in the boot and a cloth, it'll be sorted
    You'll need a pliers aswel, there a whore to get off with thread lock on them.

Oh just remembered you can get caps with a grub screw going in the side of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

S.I.R wrote: »
    i used to do this as a kid.

You Bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

S.I.R wrote: »
    i used to do this as a kid ( DON'T SHOOT ) , mind you , kids are kids , by no means the smartest thing on god green earth , but everyone learns sometime..
    same here!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The clue's in the name. They keep dust from getting into your valve which might cause problems. I'm not into the shiny ones but if somebody wants to buy them why should they have to worry about them being robbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I seriously cannot believe this thread! Dust caps? Jaysus lads. Pride in your car is fine and all that, and damn right, little knackers shouldn't steal anything or even touch your car. I just can't believe people actually go and buy special dust caps! You learn something new every day. I didn't know you could buy any other dust caps other than the plastic ones.

There's certainly no way I'm going to check my tyre pressure and having to use a poxy key to take the dust cap off! I just find it very sad. Sorry.

Advertisement