Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin: 10th May

Options
  • 08-05-2008 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Join me on my last spin as a student :)

10am from Harolds Cross Dog Track, 10:15 from Dundrum, under the bridge across from Joe Daly's

See you there?

-also been assured the jerseys will arrive in time for the Wicklow 200 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Do you go out through Enniskerry? I will have to travel to Dublin by car (will be coming from N3 direction onto M50) and need someplace to park. Any suggestions? Have to get a spin in the hills before the W200. Would love to join the group for at least part of the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Sy, you can always park near Lambs Cross on the way to Stepaside on the Enniskerry rd. There's a parking area near the School there, beside the vets. I always see people taking their bikes out of their cars there ...

Thanks Caroline.ie Sounds ideal but haven't a clue as to what exit off M50 etc. I am up from the sticks!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Count me in. Family dinner tonight so not sure what state I'll be in but sure I'll give it a lash

sy wrote: »
    Thanks Caroline.ie Sounds ideal but haven't a clue as to what exit off M50 etc. I am up from the sticks!:o

Get off at A and park at B ... i hope this helps ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

I'm sure you'll get help here as the day goes on - general rule of thumb for me is once you cross the M50 on a bike you're in beautiful cycle-land. I always cross it on a flyover bridge though so don't really know it driving. Pretty sure there's a turn off for Stepaside.

Anyway, if that's tricky it's an easy drive to Enniskerry which is a very good base for some nice spins and has plenty of parking. You just stay on the M50 all the way and it joins the M11 heading to Rosslare. Enniskerry is signposted as a turnoff between Bray and Greystones - you'll be right beside the Sugar Loaf. You're brought briefly onto the other direction of the N11/M11 and you take a quick left off that which leads straight into the town. Couldn't be simpler.

<edit>: Could be a lot simpler - what Caroline suggested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Do you go out through Enniskerry? I will have to travel to Dublin by car (will be coming from N3 direction onto M50) and need someplace to park. Any suggestions? Have to get a spin in the hills before the W200. Would love to join the group for at least part of the cycle.

Yep, we head out through Enniskerry, and then up (probably over Sally Gap).

Use Caroline_ie's suggestion, and we should be there about 10:30-10:45 I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Just out of curiousity, what kind are distances are ye getting on these Saturday spins and what kind of average speeds are ye hitting. It would give me an indication how I am getting on or not ! as I do most of the weekend spins on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

up for it.
    Just out of curiousity, what kind are distances are ye getting on these Saturday spins and what kind of average speeds are ye hitting. It would give me an indication how I am getting on or not ! as I do most of the weekend spins on my own.

last weekend ken and i did about about 120km (dundrum to dundrum via the sally gap and wicklow gap) at average 23kph. the bulk of the group did a shorter route without the wicklow gap so i don't know their stats. faster i'd say cause there was a fair oul tailwind on the way home (sweeet).

the pace is really determined by the group that turns up. the stronger climbers wait at the top and the lads who are better on the flat/way-down wait at the bottom. it's all very non-competitive and good natured i think. we're definitely not out there to drop each other. you should give it a go if you're in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

I'll be there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I shall think of ye as I sip my espresso as I gaze upon the Colosseum in Rome.
    In 27oC temperatures :D
    Have a good one.
    And to echo sentiment, yeah it's a relaxed group, don't worry about the distance numbers, everyone has made it home so far (except RtD one day but that's cos he got on the bike straight after the pub I think, and had Buckfast in his water bottles :D)
    Just make sure to bring a couple of bars, plenty of fluids and some cash to refill if necessary.

kenmc wrote: »
    I shall think of ye as I sip my espresso as I gaze upon the Colosseum in Rome.
    In 27oC temperatures :D
    Have a good one.

You know I hate you, right? :D

No need really to repeat, but it's well relaxed, between 20 and 25kph on average, and anything from 50k up depending on who wants to do what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Davittdr

I don't think you can get off the M50 at Point "A". You need to either take the Dundrum/Sandyford exit and travel up "College Park Way" to point A or take the Dun Laoghaire exit and get to point B via Leapordstown rd.

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3 could be to park the car in the Dundrum area, Point "B" (should be plenty of availability in the old shopping centre and meet under the luas bridge Point "C"

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

kenmc wrote: »
    except RtD one day but that's cos he got on the bike straight after the pub I think, and had Buckfast in his water bottles :D

Yeah, a Friday night on Buckfast and pints, 3 hours sleep and then a sprint start from Dundrum to Enniskerry because I was late before going over the Sally Gap, not my finest day in the saddle. Though if I did have the Buckfast in the water bottles it may have given the legs the kick they needed on the way home :p

In a similar vein, I won't be out tomorrow as the Trinity Ball is on tonight and I plan on being very hungover in the morning :eek:

I'll send Frenchie a text, he might be up for it again.

Yes, sorry, David right... I actually made a mistake there.. I take that road every week and I made a mistake ... shame on me. If you exit at Dundrum and take the first round about direction Sandyford that takes you to that roundabout. On the Map ' College Park way' ...

Appologies ... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

RtD wrote: »
    In a similar vein, I won't be out tomorrow as the Trinity Ball is on tonight and I plan on being very hungover in the morning :eek:
    Ah the Ball is on!!!! Damn I miss those. Well have a p**s on the Provosts' lawn for me if get a chance, relive the olden days.
    And sure why break with tradition - do the saturday run, it's not like we've EVER seen you sober :D Hell you can even do it in the Tux sure!

Davittdr wrote: »
    I don't think you can get off the M50 at Point "A". You need to either take the Dundrum/Sandyford exit and travel up "College Park Way" to point A or take the Dun Laoghaire exit and get to point B via Leapordstown rd.

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3 could be to park the car in the Dundrum area, Point "B" (should be plenty of availability in the old shopping centre and meet under the luas bridge Point "C"

It's handier for us if you want to meet under the luas bridge, as it's our usual spot, and we're certain of being there at 10:15. If you want, I can PM you my mobile,and just let me know Saturday morning?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Won't be going this week as I'm going to the track tomorrow morning. Will be doing the Slieve Maan run on Sunday morning if anyone's interested. I'll post details later on when I've got a minute, but it'll be an 8:30 start and there's three of us in so far.

I actually think I'll be going to the track session tomorrow now, as noted in the other thread, I'm more of a sprinter than a hill climber, and I wouldn't mind giving it a go (as well as getting back on a fixie)

Therefore, I'm out :(

Terrific Caroline.ie. I hope to be there and join up with the gang. I will be the OLD geezer on the black Focus. Thanks again

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »
    up for it.

actually i'm taking that back. :o

i'm defecting to the track, at least for saturday. hope the mountains are nice to you guys, i'll probably save them for sunday. have to tackle slieve mahn eventually.

actually i'm taking that back. :o

i'm defecting to the track, at least for saturday. hope the mountains are nice to you guys, i'll probably save them for sunday. have to tackle slieve mahn eventually.

So the question is, are you bringing your SPD-SL pedals and shoes with you? Want to meet at dog track at 10 anyway, we can find the place together then

yeah i'm bringing my own shoes and pedals. might as well.

i'll see you at the dog track at 10. k?

yeah i'm bringing my own shoes and pedals. might as well.

i'll see you at the dog track at 10. k?

Cool beans. See you there

I'm afraid I'm out for today,came off the bike last night and am still a bit tender in places

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hmmm, this rain does not look good.

emty wrote: »
    I'm afraid I'm out for today,came off the bike last night and am still a bit tender in places

Hope you're alright. You've had crappy luck.

emty wrote: »

was it a bad fall? hope it's nothing too serious. how long do you thinnk you'll be off the bike?

Thanks for the concern lads,much appreciated.Nothing too serious,brusies,road-rash and a big dent in my pride!The bolt that holds the saddle to the seat-post broke while I was in full stride,was blessed that there was no traffic.Was back out today for a short spin and will be at leeson st bridge tomorrow.I will be easy to spot,I will be the one wrapped in cotton wool!

• Advertisement
Advertisement