Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omens Bad for Brewery??

Options
  • 08-05-2008 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

Big announcement re the future of St. Francis Abbey brewery tommorow.
    Wonder what will happen and will 300 years of brewing come to end :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I heard rumours last week that they're winding the whole lot up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

feck how many jobs does the bewery provide for kilkenny? just directly i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

It is part of a major announcement by Diageo and it looks like they will be shutting down all three of their existing breweries, including James' Gate and Francis Abbey, and moving to a green site location outside Dublin.

There is going to be a press conference this morning I think.

According to the news this morning they're probably going to be shutting down the Waterford brewery too, which is mental considering they completely rebuilt it at great expense only 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sad day for Kilkenny. Another manufacturing operation down the tubes here.
    And nothing to replace it nedless to say. Dissapointing...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhgbkfcwcwoj/

• Advertisement

Why can't they consider Kilkenny as a base for their new operation?? With the new M9 mototrway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

feck how many jobs does the bewery provide for kilkenny? just directly i mean

93 directly and about another 50 indirectly.

Sad day indeed. The brewery has been such a part of the city for so long. The noises and smells you get from it when walking around were a part of Kilkenny.

Full press release here - http://www.diageo.com/en-row/NewsAndMedia/PressReleases/2008/Diageo+unveils+€650m+brewing+investment+for+Ireland.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Wow - no Smithwicks being produced in Kilkenny anymore - doesn't seem right.

Hopefully the people employed here will be able to transfer to the new site "close to Dublin" that they are talking about.

pfft, I love the way they've turned it around into "unveiling a €650M investment" rather than shutting down a bunch of breweries and laying people off :rolleyes:
    Looks like the Waterford brewery will survive, albeit in "streamlined" form, whatever the hell that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I don't think they've brewed Smithwicks there for quite a while now.

Am pretty sure it was only Budweiser

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The selling it as a "good thing" but its far from,

It's the end of an era for Kk and the loss of a great institution. Even though the job numbers are not huge it is still quite significant in my view.
    We will all miss the place, it is a landamark. Greater efforts should have been made to land the new green field site plant for KK; was there any effort made locally to try and promote KK to Diageo as an ideal location?? If not, why not 'cos it seems to me this has been on the cards for a number of years.

3 once mighty industries in the s east namely Waterford Crystal, Irish Sugar and now Smithwicks are in declince or axed completely.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

there sending out this mail to people that have used there website, alot of bollox
    For almost 300 years Ireland has created some of the world's most brilliant brews. Today we announce a €650 million plan to secure that reputation for centuries more.

St. James's Gate, the historic home of the Black Stuff, is to get a whole new lease of life.

Arthur Guinness's brewery will be upgraded and enhanced but the passion, craftsmanship and the finest quality ingredients we fuse to create your favorite pint will always stay the same. As we approach the 250th anniversary of brewing in this unique place, you can look forward to your GUINNESS coming 'straight from the gate' for a long, long time to come.

The plans don't stop there. As well as improving the home of Ireland's most famous pint, over the next five years we're also going to build Ireland's largest brewery yet to satisfy growing worldwide demand for Uncle Arthur's finest. The rich history, heritage and craftsmanship behind all our brilliant brews will be drawn on to create a world-class centre of brewing excellence in the greater Dublin area by 2013. This great new brewery will also produce our famous ales and lagers.

Sadly, our other breweries in both Kilkenny and Dundalk are just too small to accommodate our ambitious plans and these will be wound down in 2013 when the new brewery is complete. It goes without mention that every care will be given to reduce any impact to staff and to ensure future developments reflect the history and heritage of these remarkable sites.

It's going to be an exciting time ahead but we believe the great man himself would be proud. Marrying this exciting investment with Ireland's unique brewing tradition and expertise is a recipe that can only lead to success.

Slainté,

In this day and age were we're trying to take more trucks off the road in the interest of the environment, surely its better to have many small operations dotted around the country then one super mega complex

One major complex will mean less trucks etc I would imagine. Pity that mega site could not be considered for Kilkenny.

I'd say now the "heritsge" will be soon forget once they flog the place and it's levelled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

bad day for the S.E all right... The Govt need to designate WIT to USE now!!!

Bards wrote: »

I assume you mean Uni?
    because designating WIT a Uni will help bring that industry and jobs back to Kilkenny how exactly?

Cabaal wrote: »
    I assume you mean Uni?
    because designating WIT a Uni will help bring that industry and jobs back to Kilkenny how exactly?

Well of course it will/would have a natural spin off effect into county Kilkenny, no question about that to my mind anyhow. And there si the possibility in time of a campus located in KK itself so it would def be a positivie move KK and the south east in general. We need to stop thinking withj county boundaries on this one. Kilkenny is simply too small to warrant it's own uni or any other dreams those who write into the KK People may have...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Build another Dunnes!!

Ah no on a serious note, sad day for Kilkenny, and Dublin too.
    Were things really that bad that so many assests and staff had to be let go?

Not great PR either.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Well of course it will/would have a natural spin off effect into county Kilkenny, no question about that to my mind anyhow. And there si the possibility in time of a campus located in KK itself so it would def be a positivie move KK and the south east in general. We need to stop thinking withj county boundaries on this one. Kilkenny is simply too small to warrant it's own uni or any other dreams those who write into the KK People may have...

and waterford needs to improve its public transport etc before its suitable for a Uni in my view :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

I fully support a University for the SE, but having studied and worked in WIT and 3 other unis, I think its a bit naive to pin hopes of recovering from the loss of one of the last main production facilities in Kilkenny on WIT becoming USE. WIT management, admin system and staff are not ready. No university president would exempt students from lectures and assessments to attend a march in support of that institute. Most academic staff at WIT take summers off (just like their counterparts in uni depts who do not rely on major funding to fund their PhD students). To compete with others unis for limited research funding will need a major change in mindset for management and staff. If there is a university in Waterford or Kilkenny then great but USE could become useless if its not managed properly.
    Well of course it will/would have a natural spin off effect into county Kilkenny, no question about that to my mind anyhow.

Unless USE will increase WIT's student numbers there will be very little benefit for industries/suppliers in the SE. Irish university procurement policies are increasingly becoming more streamlined. Consumables from printer cartridges to engineering, IT and lab supplies are limited to a few suppliers who meet price and quality criteria and these are generally not local businesses. The only benefit for Kilkenny will be increased house prices and increased traffic if staff numbers increase and they live north of the Suir.

I grew up in Kilkenny and would love to return (even to work in Waterford) but with most manufacturing plants now closed down, its becoming a service centre for shopping and weekends away. The Boot Factory, Smithwicks ... whats next - whats left. Today was bad news for those still employed at Smithwicks and for Kilkenny.

WIT has been an influence on manufacturers to located there and its time that some of these were encouraged by the IDA to come to Kilkenny. There isnt much more of a benefit to having an IoT 10 minutes drive away from the Waterford Industrial Estate than having the plant in Kilkenny - phone calls and emails work. Kilkenny needs new manufacturing before University KK or USE at Waterford ever become a reality.

• Advertisement

Again I can't see why KK has not been pushed as the ideal alternative site for the new plant for Diageo? Why must be locate the new one in Dublin. We are relatively near Dublin. I cannot see why not anyhow :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Universities attract knowledge based industries, which attract graduates, which attract other industries etc etc.

in any case this is discussed in depth on the Waterford City forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055235045

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Again I can't see why KK has not been pushed as the ideal alternative site for the new plant for Diageo?

I think they'll want to stay close to the new Dublin port.
    Universities attract knowledge based industries, which attract graduates, which attract other industries etc etc.

in any case this is discussed in depth on the Waterford City forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055235045

I only brought this up because it had been raised earlier. Abbott have set up in some of the more rural areas of the country with no Iot or University nearby. Wyeth - Newbridge (no links to NUIM) and Clondalkin. Schering Plough - rural Cork and Wicklow. Intel and HP chose to locate in N Kildare, close to Dublin and have developed ties with TCD. Elan in Athlone - more investment in TCD than AIT. Video conferencing, email, phone, trains, IDA incentives mean a lot more than proximity to third level.

Commercial centres attract industries rather than universities. Why has Waterford been so much more successful than Kilkenny at attracting manufacturing plants? The IDA need to concentrate on Kilkenny and the rest of the SE and sooner, rather than waiting for a regional university.

Why not export via Waterford port and as I said with the new M9 Kk well be well served.

Many would argue that concetrating on one centre the IDA's investment can be maximised. Absolultely pointless GT min playing KK against Waterford in my view. KK has to maximise it's own merits and strengths and we cannot knock another city in the same region.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Again I can't see why KK has not been pushed as the ideal alternative site for the new plant for Diageo? Why must be locate the new one in Dublin. We are relatively near Dublin. I cannot see why not anyhow :confused:

It's pretty obviously because of transport costs and convenience to Dublin Port. If you don't look at it through black and amber tinted glasses it makes perfect sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Very sad to hear about the Brewery today. Another blow to the town. When will we see a good news jobs story here, other than retail jobs?

I wonder what will happen to the site? I can only imagine the horrendous apartments that some developer will want to throw up on the riverbank.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Nightwish wrote: »
    I wonder what will happen to the site? I can only imagine the horrendous apartments that some developer will want to throw up on the riverbank.

I was wondering the very same thing myself. I wonder will they demolish the big ugly structures? Between the brewery and Dunnes that side of the riverbank is extremely visually unpleasant.

Anyway - not something that will concern the people losing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

One major complex will mean less trucks etc I would imagine. Pity that mega site could not be considered for Kilkenny.

I'd say now the "heritsge" will be soon forget once they flog the place and it's levelled
    i disagree... there gonna be a hell of a lot of people complaining cos one side wants to sell it off level it.. and the other side will want to keep the abbey and turn it into a big heritage site..
    personally i think it would be nice if it was possible for them to build a new plant outside kk where they couldnt pollute the water and i always thought it was a bit of an eyesore...
    the abbey should be kept.. possibly a small like park area and turn the rest into something commerial or another small factory .. and some more parking for that area too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I don't see how WIT being turned into a university would help things. Don't forget either that if they get university status, every other IT in the country will want to be one too and it'll ultimately devalue university status. That's exactly what happened when some of the RTCs as they were called then were granted IT status. The others jumped up and down and cried miserably so they all got a new name.

Kilkenny's biggest problem is its third world infrastructure. Once you leave the city and the ring road, most of the roads out of the place degenerate into little better than winding boreens. If you want a visual sign of this, just drive the road from Durrow to Ballyragget. Somewhere around the sign that welcomes you to Kilkenny, the dotted yellow line disappears and the road visibly narrows. Maybe that's a metaphor for something.

Until that's fixed up, I can't see how any industry will come in here. Harsh but true.

As for what to do with the site, it would be nice if they could open up access to St Francis Abbey. It of course can't be levelled but getting rid of the rest of the buildings would be no loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

The place won't smell the same ever again. :(

Advertisement