Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omens Bad for Brewery??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Thankfully!!

maybe we'll see some LIVE fish after 2013... haha

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bigmurt

That side of the river is such a waste . They should make use of the waterfront as an amenity , with bars and cafes or such .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

John McGuinness TD reckons they should replace the brewery site with wait for it....a Norman museum :rolleyes:

Have to say Hogan's responses have been streets ahead to my eyes;
    http://www.philhogan.ie/news/?c=333
    http://www.philhogan.ie/news/?c=332

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Is the inner relief road, if it ever gets built, supposed to go through the brewery site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

"Deputy Hogan pinpointed transport infrastructure as being in a mess largely due to the billions which have been squandered due to ministerial bungling. "

As if FG ever did anything for Infrastructure in KK :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

I think you'll find the first phase of the ring road was opened under a Fine Gael-led government, actually...

mick_irl wrote: »
    Is the inner relief road, if it ever gets built, supposed to go through the brewery site?
    i thought the bridge was going to go throught the kind of yard next to Spar in irishtown...

Purry Cat wrote: »
    I think you'll find the first phase of the ring road was opened under a Fine Gael-led government, actually...
    yeah.. but they never finished it!! lol

Future of the Brewery seems to have been secured for the medium term at least :)
    They were talking about on KCLR today, and how Diageo have reached an agreement with staff to save the historic plant.
    I think this is great news. I love the buzz of having the Brewery there and the life it brings. The downturn seems to have refocused Diageos old plans to build a new super brewery near Lucan. I think the M9 motorway will make the old brewery more competitive of course.

Apparently staff came up with a rescue plan. Well done to all concerned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Great to hear, me da, grandfather (for 70 years, no bull) and great frandfather worked there and I have mates working there, so I'm delighted for everyone working there.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

There's some serious plans on the cards for the 300 anniversary next year. And it's great they can go ahead with those plans without closure hanging over them.

You can bet that Diageo will be a lot more organised and funding friendly than Kilkenny 400. So at least Kilkenny should get some sort of big celebration next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Threadhead wrote: »
    There's some serious plans on the cards for the 300 anniversary next year. And it's great they can go ahead with those plans without closure hanging over them.

You can bet that Diageo will be a lot more organised and funding friendly than Kilkenny 400. So at least Kilkenny should get some sort of big celebration next year.

You damn straight, there's no doubt Diageo know how to organise a piss up in a brewery :p

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Literally! I reckon that's one of the things we'll see going on in there!

They're taking back the upstairs room above the cellar so the Cat Laughs and Arts Festival box offices will be going somewhere else next year. So yeah, they're making room for some big changes.

They're giving the Smithwicks 300 celebrations the same push as the Guinness 250 celebrations. Obviously not as big as Guinness, but still, 2010 should be a good year for piss ups in Kilkenny.

Yea, I am delighted with this decision. The company are dead right, why plough hundreds of millions into a new facility in a very uncertain time when you have existing plants there, tried and tested and steeped in history.
    I think we have been far too quick to discard older industries (and thus sustainable jobs) over the so-called Celtic Tiger Era. Look at two prime examples in the South East here; Irish Sugar and Waterford Crystal. Both allowed to wilt and close even though once very profitable. Those sugar jobs would have been a god send locally during this recession, knew several that worked at it over the Winter, from farmers that grew beet, to hauliers to workers. So I'm glad Diageo did not go down the Greencore fastbuck route with their site.

I feel confident for Kilkenny in 2010 I have to say. With the M9 motorway opening up the city and county in a way unknown before.
    And 3 Major Festivals planned in KK; Cats Laugh, Arts Week and the Smithwicks 300 I think it will be even more placed into the limelight as one of Irelands top destinations.

I absolutely agree. The omens are very good for a fantastic year in Kilkenny in 2010.

If the weather holds up and we get a 5 in a row, it'll be all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

And i see in Cork Evening Echo Brian Cody reappointed Manager. What more do ye want?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

Any more good news????:)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Any ideas on what to do with the site? Obviously a norman museum couldn't take up the whole thing :rolleyes: and i dont know who wants another dunnes and a huge carpark to fill the water front. I will just throw this out there; what about what was there before? Horse Barrack Lane, small shops and houses and the like and maybe some caff's on the nore.

It's still going to be a brewery for the foreseeable future but in the event that it won't be, your ideas would be best. I'd hate to see the place eventually become a car park. There's a lot of magnificent old buildings still in there and it'd be a shame not to utilise them for future developments. Again, if there are future developments. It's survived the plague, Cromwell, the 1798 rebellion, the War of Independence and this recession, I think it's going to be here for another while longer.

• Advertisement

Hopefully as the council have a few (1/4 of a million) stainless steel bollards left from the parade to put down somewhere :rolleyes:

That's true. They've got all these old timey buildings and auld brewing ****e, heritage and tradition crap, in there. What they need in there is one big taxi rank. And a load of stone from China. None of this local stuff. And they should brew Asian beers there too, none of this traditional ale muck. Just Tiger and the like.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Theatre etc like the Lowry in Manchester...
    building_1.jpg
    ---
    00511.jpg

Nuke market yard and dunnes etc at the same time... go bridge to bridge. City would need about 4 million more people but that's a minor detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

A plan, set in stone, which spans the different requirements of the city is needed. Something with a good solid foundation that is well thought through and watertight. Something that will make us beam with delight, not arch an eyebrow with distain.

The keystone of the whole affair is getting people here but in fairness, we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Oh, and a footbridge from the Library to the Market Yard would be just dandy.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Oh, and a footbridge from the Library to the Market Yard would be just dandy.

OH GOD PLEASE!!

Threadhead wrote: »
    That's true. They've got all these old timey buildings and auld brewing ****e, heritage and tradition crap, in there. What they need in there is one big taxi rank. And a load of stone from China. None of this local stuff. And they should brew Asian beers there too, none of this traditional ale muck. Just Tiger and the like.

He he Classic :D. Not a fan of Kilkenny local authorities then either? Me neither!
    Dunno how they always seems to fcuk up anything they are involved with....be it tiles in a swimming pools that are too slippy, Multi storey car parks overlooking Castles, motorways a year behind schedule, ring road extensions also behind schedule.....the list goes on

I believe they're putting loads of secret trap doors around the new Courthouse so offenders can have an easier escape.

And in order to efficiently pedestrianise High Street, thumb tacks are going to be built into the ground so as to render wearing anything other than large boots impossible.

Also for Christmas they will be flooding Rose Inn Street to make a "Winter Wonderland for Parents and Children Alike!" in order to facilitate this all inner city traffic will be diverted into the new Nore Port Tunnel (Due for completion Spring 1978) built through the castle rose garden to come out in the centre of Nowlan Park. Also due to Council Deficit (Christmas Celebrations €2.7bn) Road maintenance on the following bridges will cease allowing the demolition of the bridges and subsequent building of fords (Amount saved on maintenance €1.50 Cost of Demolition and Construction €3.8million) Johns Bridge, Greens Bridge, Ormonde Bridge, Watergate Bridge, Bennetsbridge, White Bridge (Waltons Grove), Thomastown Bridge, Brownsbarn Bridge, Inistioge Bridge. To implement further Improvements to areas that don’t need them the Councillors have voted unanimously in favour of building a wall around the county and reintroducing the feudal system. All Hail The Councillors!

• Advertisement
Advertisement