Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water water everywhere, but wtf to drink?

• 08-05-2008 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭

What kind of water do you drink?
    Do you drink tap water or bottled water or filtered tap water/other?

Do you believe tap water is safe? Is it less/more/equally healthy to drink compared to bottled or filtered water?

Personally I drink tap water, I aways have. I sometimes wonder if I should switch to something else.

What about you?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

cold tap water / river rock for taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

A bit of both not counting boiled tap water in tea /coffee. I got six large bottles of buxton still water for £ 1.37 in tescos yerterday ,a bargin and just right for this hot weather .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

The-Rigger wrote: »

Do you believe tap water is safe?

Yes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I believe it's safe alright, just tastes crap most of the time. I'm lucky enough where I am, the water is usually fairly decent. If I'm having a glass of water then I'll use Dunnes Stores' bottled water. If I'm boiling the kettle of filling the coffee machine I use the tap. My favourite water is probably Vittel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

One of the problems with bottled water is that it's not environmentally friendly when you consider the manufacture of the plastic bottles and in some cases where the water has been shipped from.

Also, some of the leading bottled water brands taste awful. I know of one of the brand leaders and it's quite salty.

I think we are lucky to live in a country where we have drinkable tap water so that's what I drink. But I know there are places where the water tastes foul but the solution to that problem would be to have a filter fitted to your kitchen tap. It costs around €500.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I mainly drink the filtered stuff (I think it's All water Systems that do it??) in work. But bottled at home (aside from boiled in the kettle) My fave is Evian, then Volvic or Tipperary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

One of the problems with bottled water is that it's not environmentally friendly when you consider the manufacture of the plastic bottles and in some cases where the water has been shipped from.

More than that, I've read in a few sources (none spring to mind though) that it's much more expensive to produce and transport than oil. Any time you see a articulated lorry with a Ballygowan logo on the side, it isn't nearly full, water is too heavy. I'll try and look that up.

I drink about 2-3 litres a day from taps and have done for a number of years. Nothing wrong with it AFAI can tell.

There's a Ballygowan water cooler right behind me but I can't justify using it when the tap water is fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Bottled water is more expensive, volume for volume, than oil. Apparently. I'm not good at maths.

I buy bottled water to have the bottle, then constantly refill the bottle with tap water. My tap water doesn't always taste great, but I'm too lazy/poor to buy bottled.

I can very strongly taste the differences between bottled waters though. I can't drink anything with a high mineral content, like Evian or a particular Scottish brand. My favourite is Volvic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ladyA

I'm not a fan of tap water, particularly in Dublin it tastes so 'sewery'. I know it said to be safe but in my opinion anything that was once came through the public sewers and then has had so many chemicals added to make it 'drinkable' again, is hardly good for you. I know all water is recycled but I prefer to go with water that is naturally filtered. My favourite is Volvic, followed by Evian and Tipperary. Don't get me started on Riverock - glorified tap water, and it pisses me off so much when I ask for mineral water at a bar/restaurant and they give me this stuff. Balygowan is fairly awful also.
    Bottled mineral water is costly though and no doubt awful for the environment. I sometimes wish they would just have big tanks of Tipperary Water in the shops that you could go to and refill your bottles with.
    In another matter, its also been found that plastic water bottles that are refilled have huge amounts of bacteria - but I suppose you can't get too caught up with these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My tap water at home in Tipperary is from a spring and is the best I've tasted :)

• Advertisement

My tap water is awful, it is white with chemicals and sometimes mud coloured.
    Last year there was a dead animal in the supply, and it took them a week to get it out.
    I don't have anything against tap water in theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

I dont think theres anything wrong with tap water, its perfectly safe and healthy and the floride is great for your teeth, but it tastes crap - where i live anyway. If im just drinking plain water, i will have bottled if possible, the extra bonus being you can keep it in the fridge so its very cold. I use tap water for boiling and things where i dont have to taste it, like squash. Bottled water can be expensive, but you can get big 5L bottles in dunnes for very cheap, less than a euro, and it tastes fine, and you can always recycle the bottles if you're concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Faith wrote: »
    Bottled water is more expensive, volume for volume, than oil.

That is accurate. A 1L bottle of water usually costs around 1.50 (give or take....1.20 for a 750ml bottle of river rock in lidls). You can get a 1L bottle of cooking oil for less than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Last year there was a dead animal in the supply, and it took them a week to get it out.

Jesus.

Reverse osmosis systems are probably worth considering if your tap water supply is contaminated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A half decent filter system will give you better water than most bottled brands. This is common knowledge in the catering industry.

There are probably a lot more sites like this around http://www.bottledwaterblues.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

latchyco wrote: »
    A bit of both not counting boiled tap water in tea /coffee. I got six large bottles of buxton still water for £ 1.37 in tescos yerterday ,a bargin and just right for this hot weather .

ah Love Buxtons, don't think you can get in Ireland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I love Volvic. Don't trust river rock even since i bought some bottles and the water had bubbles after i opened it. Taste strange aswell. Didn't seem fresh at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I hate drinking water on it's own, so I like to add a small splash of sugar free mi-wadi or a sprig of mint from time to time. I only buy bottled water for the bottle. Other than that I use a water filter at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

ladyA wrote: »
    I know all water is recycled but I prefer to go with water that is naturally filtered.
    Score 1 for the marketing man.
    Raemie wrote: »
    If im just drinking plain water, i will have bottled if possible, the extra bonus being you can keep it in the fridge so its very cold.
    And you can't do that with tap water because?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Dublin water tastes fine to me. There's a water cooler in work and I use that when I'm there. Shipping water across the sea from France is insane, if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It tastes fine to me too, but I'm used to the taste of tap water and find bottled water hard to drink. I'm wondering whether it's bad for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Bad as in can it give you Cancer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

WindSock wrote: »
    Bad as in can it give you Cancer?

no, but they can have higher bacteria loads compared to tap

Advertisement