Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema

Options
  • 09-05-2008 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi All,

Correct me if im wrong I can only find one Cinema which is in Portlaoise, is there only one cinema in Co Laois?

Surely there is more?:confused:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Thats right mountrath the only cinema still in operation is Portlaoise. Their use to be one in mountrath years ago. A very long time ago. It was in the building where Anything Goes is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mountrath

Ok thats fair enough, I didn't think there was one still open in Mountrath I taught there would be one in Port at least, one Cinema for the Co Laois surely there is some demand for more to be opened?

the one in Port has being closed for years too. It made an appearance in the film "into the west"

Anyone know what are the plans for th old cinema in Port?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

as far as i know the cinema in port is for holding all sean ryans old tyres, there should be a good night club put in there, that would be my opinion anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

kikel wrote: »
    the one in Port has being closed for years too. It made an appearance in the film "into the west"

Anyone know what are the plans for th old cinema in Port?

yeah sean ryan owns it (the square garage man) and its full to the neck with tyres. he wont sell it for diamonds.

• Advertisement

id say they prob bury him there stevoman, hey hows d baby doin

ports best wrote: »
    id say they prob bury him there stevoman, hey hows d baby doin

great now mate. she's coming along great.

i wonder what will become of the savoy in the next few years. i remember when it was open when i was about 7 but they only showed films which were just coming close to release on video. i seen rocky IV there. (por apollo creed got some kicking that day).

i was in it a few years back and it awash with tyres so it is. id say the building isnt safe anymore.

id say something will have to be done soon, but as you said sean ryan wont let it go for diamonds. do you remember into the west been filmed there and out in lea castle, it was a great buzz for the town then to see ellen barker gabriel byrne and colin meaney in town, glad to hear the babies doin well im happy for ya

thanks a million. yeah i remember it well. i remeber when they changed the chemist to a chip shop for some reason. the garda chase down the main street in the squad car was good.

Also i remember when i was in primary school at the time and a english man just walked into the yard and started taking pictures of some of us. naturally it was all so innocent then we were all fighting to him take a picture of us. it was only when i teacher came out and confronted him he turned out to be the director or something looking for kids in scholls as extras! imagine doing that these days - talk about how quick you'd get locked up!!!!

what age are you ports best? im 26 so i remember it fairly well!

im 30 stevoman, yeah i remember it all well, i remember they even had fake rain in the square when the boys came in to the cinema in the horse, it was good to see, how much has the town changed since then, they were good days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭token56

Its not exactly a cinema but I know the dunamaise theatre shows some more cultural films sometimes, not sure how often or anything.

Also in the development planned for the old GAA pitches and clubhouse beside O Moore park there is a cinema in the plans. Whether this will go ahead or not I dont know.

ports best wrote: »
    im 30 stevoman, yeah i remember it all well, i remember they even had fake rain in the square when the boys came in to the cinema in the horse, it was good to see, how much has the town changed since then, they were good days

we are in the same age bracket so. yeah i remember the fake rain that night. you would miss the good old days but its nice to know that we are kind of the last generation to see the town before its major transition period!

yeah thats true stevoman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

kikel wrote: »
    Thats right mountrath the only cinema still in operation is Portlaoise. Their use to be one in mountrath years ago. A very long time ago. It was in the building where Anything Goes is now.

KIKEL, i swear you are just one big mine of information! you must eat encyclopedias for brekkie every morning!!! :eek:

Ruby-J wrote: »
    KIKEL, i swear you are just one big mine of information! you must eat encyclopedias for brekkie every morning!!! :eek:

Thanks Ruby, wish it was true through. I lived in Mountrath for years so know a little about the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

i see i see. you remind me of Johnny five from Short Circuit!!!! INPUT INPUT! LOL

Advertisement