Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant play GTA missions

• 09-05-2008 12:25am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ive been playing GTA4 for a few days having great fun with it, but today i turned my 360 on again and none of my missions will work. Im on the 'out of the closet' mission where I have to meet French Tom. I went to the internet cafe and replyed to his email, then went to the restaurant for 18.00, as I get close to the restaurant the icon dissapears and nothing happens. The info from the Organiser also dissapears. When I check back in the internet cafe the email is gone. Also there are 2 other missions, a question mark from unknown contact and another from Playboy X, when I go to either missions nothing happens. Has anyone come across this, I cant get further in the game.

Comments

Did'nt have a problem there...but as mentioned in another thread i spent all today ringing contacts, checking E-mail, dying and getting arrested etc... because after my last mission last night nothing was showing up on the radar, just an hour ago i looked up a walkthrough to see where the next mission was and took out the map to find it, had to drive around the area looking for it, got to the door and there was the 3 yellow arrows to trigger the mission. Not the same i know, but this game is throwing up problems, i would have never found where to go had there not been walkthroughs available as my map and radar were'nt showing anything bar the bars,safehouses etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭horsecrap

Gonzo wrote: »
    Ive been playing GTA4 for a few days having great fun with it, but today i turned my 360 on again and none of my missions will work. Im on the 'out of the closet' mission where I have to meet French Tom. I went to the internet cafe and replyed to his email, then went to the restaurant for 18.00, as I get close to the restaurant the icon dissapears and nothing happens. The info from the Organiser also dissapears. When I check back in the internet cafe the email is gone. Also there are 2 other missions, a question mark from unknown contact and another from Playboy X, when I go to either missions nothing happens. Has anyone come across this, I cant get further in the game.

didnt have any problems with the game.... so none of the missions will work?? try taking michelle out on a date..or a job for brucie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horsecrap wrote: »
    didnt have any problems with the game.... so none of the missions will work?? try taking michelle out on a date..or a job for brucie

thanks! that worked, had to do a job for brucie and take roman to the bar before the missions would work:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this game is really starting to annoy me now with the mission glitchs.... im stuck again, this time on a mission called 'Final Interview'. I went to the internet cafe to check the email and submited it, got new suit of clothes, was told that i would hear back. Nothings happened. I saved the game last night went to bed and today tryed it again and after 3 hours of meeting up with roman, dating michelle, taking little jacob to strip clubs and stealing cars for Brucie then driving around just waiting for something to happen. Ive saved the game multiple times to skip the time forward. I have no available missions on the map and geting very bored very quickly. Is my save file screwed up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

this game is really starting to annoy me now with the mission glitchs.... im stuck again, this time on a mission called 'Final Interview'. I went to the internet cafe to check the email and submited it, got new suit of clothes, was told that i would hear back. Nothings happened. I saved the game last night went to bed and today tryed it again and after 3 hours of meeting up with roman, dating michelle, taking little jacob to strip clubs and stealing cars for Brucie then driving around just waiting for something to happen. Ive saved the game multiple times to skip the time forward. I have no available missions on the map and geting very bored very quickly. Is my save file screwed up?

I don't think that its a glitch. In all the previews of the game, there was a mention of how all the streets were named and for some missions you would have to find the locations of them.
    This is where your fold out map in the GTA game box comes in handy. In combination with the address in the top right hand corner of the website that you need to lookup for the interview, you will be able to find where you are going

Just a bit of extra puzzle solving really and adds a new dimension to the gameplay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I've found that hopping into a taxi as a passenger, in most cases, tends to set you right almost immediately. The first destination 'flagged' will tend to be the one you really ought to be getting on with at this stage in the game - for isntance i've done '3 leaf clover' and a few beyond it, but still hadn't done Brucies 'No 1' mission and it was always the first location on show in the cab.

I think (and i speak as a ps3 user) there's almost a need to be careful after a mission that once the job is done, you need to carry on for a few minutes doing 'nothing' just so that any phone calls that need to come through get a chance. In other words, you let the 'savign progress' doo-hickey appear and, i dunno, if it's that time of the night, go and wash your teeth or something (in real life - it's not in the game, kids:D). Come back and *then* go and save manually (if you wish) and switch off!

The OP doesn't state if he had actually completed 'out of the closet' or not, so i'm flying blind here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

they call you a few days later to arrange the interview, i missed it several times due to waging war in other missions then went to the interview when it suited me about 2 weeks after the 1st call :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Check the appointments part of the phone too. Then you may be able to get an idea when the mission should be active. On some missions the icon only appears on the map a few game hours before the event, but these events are usually logged on the appointments in the phone.

there might be a small exclmation mark in the bottom of the map( cant think of location) middle islan, bottom.look for
    > ! and go there.

PS: HOW DO U DO SPOILERS???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Maybe you turned on sleep mode on your phone by mistake?

• Advertisement

spent another 2 hours on this after the 4 hours earlier on and no joy - phone sleep mode is off, I never touched it, ive looked at maps, looked up youtube videos for help and still cant get anywhere. 2 weeks of gameworld time has now passed and not a mission or a phonecall except for Brucie's missions. whenever I get into a taxi there is no 'destination' in green lettering. Its all just standard places like internet, bars, restaurants. Ive checked the appointments in the phone and there is nothing. If I dont get anywhere else by 2nite i'll have no choice but to delete hte save files and start the game from scratch, this is really and truly ruining the game on me. None of the other GTA's were ever like this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

horsecrap wrote: »
    PS: HOW DO U DO SPOILERS???
    I'm a spoiler
    [spoiler.]I'm a spoiler[/spoiler.] just omit the .'s

robinph wrote: »
    I'm a spoiler
    [spoiler.]I'm a spoiler[/spoiler.] just omit the .'s

testing spoiler:
    testing

spent another 2 hours on this after the 4 hours earlier on and no joy - phone sleep mode is off, I never touched it, ive looked at maps, looked up youtube videos for help and still cant get anywhere. 2 weeks of gameworld time has now passed and not a mission or a phonecall except for Brucie's missions. whenever I get into a taxi there is no 'destination' in green lettering. Its all just standard places like internet, bars, restaurants. Ive checked the appointments in the phone and there is nothing. If I dont get anywhere else by 2nite i'll have no choice but to delete hte save files and start the game from scratch, this is really and truly ruining the game on me. None of the other GTA's were ever like this.

ive no idea wat ya can do with that one...must be a bug somewer???
    i dunno..... try calling a few people on the mobile, c wat happens, check brief, see wat the last thing done was. kill brucie or something!lol
    good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

ah man ,You've picked up the Born Again Christian version :eek:

Other people are having the same problem as me from the same mission (Final Interview)http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/grandtheftauto4/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-42924756&pid=933037

Looks like ive to start the game again:(

Other people are having the same problem as me from the same mission (Final Interview)http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/grandtheftauto4/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-42924756&pid=933037

Looks like ive to start the game again:(

NO DONT. did you buy a suit for urself???? coz u need that.

He also needs shoes from perseus. Make sure its a suit with tie

I bought the Suit and Shoes from Persues and nothing, I went to the internet cafe and saw the link to the job offer and got the call from Francis to say that if I hear someting that I ring him back, I never got the job interview, Im fully dressed and got nothing. I still bought the suit, tie, pants and shoes and never got the interview so im at a complete loss...... Ive started the game from scratch since tho so im now half way thru it, should be back where I was originally by 2moro hopefully....

I bought the Suit and Shoes from Persues and nothing, I went to the internet cafe and saw the link to the job offer and got the call from Francis to say that if I hear someting that I ring him back, I never got the job interview, Im fully dressed and got nothing. I still bought the suit, tie, pants and shoes and never got the interview so im at a complete loss...... Ive started the game from scratch since tho so im now half way thru it, should be back where I was originally by 2moro hopefully....

Ok might be stupid but did you go to the career's part of the website for the law firm and click the apply button for the job?. Nearly straight away you'll recieve a phone call to arrange the interview which is a day or two ahead of game time and a reminder will go into the organiser.

Make sure you applied for the job, go back to the e-mail frank sent you and re-check the law firms carrer page and see is the option to apply gone!. also make sure any e-mials you have, have been replied too!.

• Advertisement

Ok might be stupid but did you go to the career's part of the website for the law firm and click the apply button for the job?. Nearly straight away you'll recieve a phone call to arrange the interview which is a day or two ahead of game time and a reminder will go into the organiser.

Make sure you applied for the job, go back to the e-mail frank sent you and re-check the law firms carrer page and see is the option to apply gone!. also make sure any e-mials you have, have been replied too!.

I did all that, Francis rang me as soon as I left the Internet Cafe to tell him when I hear back about the job interview that I call him, but the call never came through from the Law Firm. Im almost back at this mission on a new save file so im gonna see what happens this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

This happened to me aswell. Upon leaving the cafe, I accidentally hung up on the woman who was calling me, so I didn't get an appointment in my phone or anything. I went back in, found the address and just went there. Seemed to work ok for me. Too late now anyway :)

Gonzo, keep multiple saves, as you never know. That is good practice for all games. Al least the you do not have to back pedal too far, if something happens. There is always a corruption possibility

yeah im keeping 3 save files now, each a mission apart and turned off the autosave feature so if this happens again i only have to go back 1 or 2 missions at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

What a ridiculous situation, a game this hyped up and it doesnt even fcuking work.

I have the same thing, the ? and the X are on the map, but walking into the mission trigger area doesn't start a mission.

What a joke of a game.

So now I went messing around with brucie races and it worked eventually.

I applied for the job interview and guess what, nothing happened.

I receive an automated text saying they'll call me, but no they don't.

I've exhausted every other thing to do in the game, how the fcuk could such retarded glitches have gotten through. Its a chore to replay a game you know you may not be able to clear due to these glitches.

I'm bumping this as Id like to ask, how many other people has this affected?

I have to restart the game now, its becoming a chore not enjoyable at all, and I may not be able to finish it anyway due to this rubbish.

Does anyone know what causes it, and how to get around it as I am not replaying the same early missions again and again not knowing if i'll ever get to finish the game.

Sorry lads, but I need to ask this. Why in the name of god do you only keep one save file? If a game allows it, you have to keep multiple saves. This kind of stuff can happen in all games. It is good practice to at least keep three saves. I hate to say it, but ye can only blame yourselves, as data corruption can happen on any save, be it flash (memory card) or HDD. I hope lessons are learned. At least with multiple saves the back tracking is not as painful. For anyone that has not had a problem, but only has one save file...next time you save, save on a new slot, and do not overwrite the old save. Keep back ups lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

i've only been keeping one save so far but will be keeping more from now on. i couldn't face starting again at this stage.

• Advertisement

Sorry lads, but I need to ask this. Why in the name of god do you only keep one save file? If a game allows it, you have to keep multiple saves. This kind of stuff can happen in all games. It is good practice to at least keep three saves. I hate to say it, but ye can only blame yourselves, as data corruption can happen on any save, be it flash (memory card) or HDD. I hope lessons are learned. At least with multiple saves the back tracking is not as painful. For anyone that has not had a problem, but only has one save file...next time you save, save on a new slot, and do not overwrite the old save. Keep back ups lads.

Having never experienced such an issue before on lesser machines I assumed this new machine, and its auto save, and this massively hyped large budget game would be the last to f'up.

The autosave seemed sufficient, I have three files now but I suspect replaying an earlier one will yield the same result.

The issue seems to be poor game design, not an issue with saving the game, but an issue with game not being able to continue in some instances.

Fair comment though, I would recommend multiple save files now too, it is ridiculous though that I pay 390 euro to play this game and now I can never trust it again, I will always have to worry I may have to replay every section I complete now.

Advertisement