Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FlyBe and Galway

• 09-05-2008 12:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

I was just looking at the FlyBe website and the routemap and noticed that Galway is no longer on it.If my memory serves me right they flew to Belfast City airport and Southampton.
    How come they pull out,was it because of the loads or costs or because of the launch of other flights?
    I don't know how long they have been out of Galway but its news to me...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

One could say Flybe's departure from EICM is due to the wonderful management of the airport, excuse my sarcasm it's late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

LOL, sounds like another Galway airport own goal! What is it with Galway city in general and Galway airport? Arrogance? Stupidity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

flybe are still on the Airports site :http://www.galwayairport.com/airline_info.asp

When did this happen? I only saw a flybe going in not too long ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Well the airport website hasn't been updated for a while, believe flyBe stopped operating from Galway last month, they had been cutting back frequency for a while and are re-structuring a some of their UK operations. Numbers were ok for the winter but they carried just 110 on Southampton route in January, and numbers were similar on Belfast also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

110 on the Southampton route in January,that is awfully bad,not wonder they have departed Galway.
    The airport really do need to update their website more often.

Thanks for your replies folks,very useful!

• Advertisement

Wow, didn't realise that the numbers were that low. I believe that Aer Arann have stopped several routes out of Galway, Leeds/Bradford and Southampton spring to mind and I think there are one or two more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Well the Amsterdam route is apparently doing better than they expected, the BAE's are becoming a very familiar sight around Carnmore these days!
    Never knew flybe's numbers were so low, its a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

AFAIK FlyBe ended their flights at the beginning of april and should be back at the end of this month... not sure why though :confused:

darragh-k wrote: »
    Well the Amsterdam route is apparently doing better than they expected, the BAE's are becoming a very familiar sight around Carnmore these days!
    Never knew flybe's numbers were so low, its a pity.

Arann have two 146's on wet lease for the Amsterdam route, the numbers are pretty health at the minute by all accounts

Guys especially Darragh where are the pics of those Aer Arann 146's for us here? Do Roger ( Vulcan ) and i have to go and do it for ye???:)

• Advertisement

You want pics eh?...would you believe I was just walking up the road (Cloghmoyle if any of the Galway lads know it) and the BAE 146 came over VERY low on approach for 26 right above my head! Ill tune in on the scanner and If I see one coming in I'll take a shot of it on approach!:)

Vulcan57 and i will be going to EICM on Wednesday around 11am ish if anybody is around?

Afraid not, school I'm afraid! I must see about going up to the tower again, you get some great shots there if you have a good camera, and we got a new one only a few days ago so I'll test it out when i go up.

Also, Steyr and Vulcan, would you not go down on a Saturday when the flying club are up also no?...well I suppose they are only up weather permitting, and it must be very good weather at that, but still. Hopefully I'll be up with them come my 16th birthday!:)

Hopefully I'll be up with them come my 16th birthday!:)

That makes two of us! :)

Afraid not, school I'm afraid! I must see about going up to the tower again, you get some great shots there if you have a good camera, and we got a new one only a few days ago so I'll test it out when i go up.

Also, Steyr and Vulcan, would you not go down on a Saturday when the flying club are up also no?...

See Darragh your lucky enough to not have to work most Saturdays! School oh i wish i was there again! Happy days!

Who is bringing you up from GFC for your birthday? Jarlath? He is a gent and a very good pilot, you will have some fun!:)

Steyr wrote: »
    See Darragh your lucky enough to not have to work most Saturdays! School oh i wish i was there again! Happy days!

Who is bringing you up from GFC for your birthday? Jarlath? He is a gent and a very good pilot, you will have some fun!:)

(I think) He means joining the club for lessons on reaching 16. I've been up with Jarlath actually, (assuming you mean Jarlath C.), a gent for sure I must ask him for a spin again soon!

Correct Jarlath C.

Ya I meant to start training! I wa up with Jon McG in July last year but thats it. Are you a member yourself Steyr?

Darragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

According to Galway Bay FM news, they have confirmed that they have pulled permanently out of Galway. What a shame, the powers that be at Carnmore need to get their act in gear or there will never be any other airline operating out of here on a more permanent basis except Aer Arann.

Are you a member yourself Steyr?

Nope but i will join when i win the Euromillions!

• Advertisement

Steyr wrote: »
    Nope but i will join when i win the Euromillions!
    LOL! Well me joining is dependant on me getting a summer job, the race week for me won't even do the membership fee!:eek: And its even worse with our friends in the executive hangar.

Your right Vulcan, said I'd give the airport a buzz there to confirm, and they have pulled out indefinitely.:(
    That just leaves aer arann and netjet now.

This just published.... :

"FLYBE PULL OUT OF GALWAY

British airline, Flybe has announced it is pulling out of Galway. Flybe, which is the biggest independent regional airline in Europe had been operating flights to Belfast, Birmingham and Southampton during peak season but has now ceased its business from Galway.

This bad news for Galway means that Aer Arann is the only airline now operating out of Galway. Confirming Flybe's withdrawal on Monday, Galway Airport CEO, Joe Walsh said there would be no summer schedules on any of Flybe's routes from Galway.
    Speaking after the announcement, Mr Walsh was confident this was not the end of the road for Flybe in Galway. "We will continue to work closely with Flybe and will look to have some, if not all, the routes back in place for next summer."
    Mr Walsh was keen to play down the impact the withdrawal could have on Galway Airport. "This is symptomatic of the aviation sector at the moment. Flybe had pulled their scheduled routes from Galway for summer 2008 because of factors outside of our control."
    He added: "This is a new era for Aer Arann, with the focus on new routes like Amsterdam and Bordeaux. In particular we see Schiphol Airport (Amsterdam) as being a huge opportunity." ."

Advertisement