Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Symphony ba$tards

• 09-05-2008 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

OK this is now really getting on my tits. A good while back I installed Symphony (yeah yeah I know - it was beta then too :p). Anyway moving on ...

It was crap so I uninstalled it. Since then the icons are still Symphony ones - I read about why - basically really **** coding from Lotus. But even after removing it they stayed as Symphony icons. I know I can change them but haven't got around to it. So moving on once more ...

Until tonight all .ods docs have been associated with Symphony - I have to right click, Open With and select OO.o Calc. I've lived with it. But tonight I also decided to remove the base Ubuntu installation of OO.o and install 2.4 myself. All installed fine - I've now got the real OO - not Canonical's version of it. And hey - look what's happened - now .odt files think they're Symphony files too. An hour ago they had the Symphony icon but would open in oo. Now I have to right-click, Open With for odt files as well.

Please please tell me how to fix this!

Apart from anything else Lotus have really ****ed themselves with this behaviour. Just google the reaction to the root changes the installation made - Symphony is doomed to failure as a result.

But apart from that Please please tell me how to fix this!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Macros42 wrote: »
    I have to right click, Open With and select OO.o Calc.
    corkie wrote: »
    3. Select the Open With tab (all makes sense, now, doesn’t it??)
    4. Select the application you want associated with that file-type
    5. Click OK[/URL]

It opens the files but doesn't associate them. Look at the image below. It says they're OO files but the default app to open them is IBM Lotus Symphony and I have to manually select OO each time.

examplehd3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

What happens if you associate them with some other text reader do they still try to open in Symphony?

Look at the screenie. They think they are OO files but still try to open in Symphony. I've tried other associations but it won't change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Macros42 wrote: »
    I have to right click, Open With and select OO.o Calc.
    3. Select the Open With tab (all makes sense, now, doesn’t it??)
    4. Select the application you want associated with that file-type
    5. Click OK[/url]
    It opens the files but doesn't associate them. Look at the image below. It says they're OO files but the default app to open them is IBM Lotus Symphony and I have to manually select OO each time.

I think you missed step 1 and 2. :pac: Right-click and select properties and then the open with tab.. not just right-click and open with.
    Are they set to open with Openoffice there?

screenshot4eg7.png

• Advertisement

OMG it was that easy :D Never even looked there - feel like a noob now :D

Thanks a mill. :)

Now I just need to set aside some time to fix the mimetypes for the icons.

Advertisement