Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overall Cost Of Interrailing

• 09-05-2008 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

This question hasnt really been answered but what would people reckon would be the overall cost of this interrail trip, roughly. its my first time interrailing so im not really sure of cost; have made a rough guess but im not sure whether I've either massively overestimated or underestimated...

roughly 2 weeks
    Start in Switzerland
    Zurich (flights roughly 80 euro)
    and finish maybe in Nice (80ish euro again)

Would be looking to spend a week in Switz - Bern, Interlaken, Lugano
    followed by a week in Italy - Florence, Venice, Rome, Turin etc.
    Staying mainly in hostels.

I've made a rough guess at 2,300euro for this. Is this too much/too little?

Has anyone done a similar trip with any info? Maybe if people could give me a rough idea of the TOTAL cost of their trips; preferably in Swiss/Italy but if thats not possible then anywhere in Europe.

Thanks, Wreck

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

i done 2 1/2 weeks last summer.....started in Rome>Florence>Venice>Munich. It costs roughly €900 including flights. 7 places in 2 weeks is difficult enough, you'd need to be spending atleast 3 days in most of them towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

800euro on accom/food, 130euro on flights, 340euro on interrail ticket = around 1200 for 2 weeks.

Barcelona>Marseilles>Milan>Bern>Munich>Dusseldorf>Amsterdam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

i went interrailin for close to 2 months and spent 3g's,so you should be grand :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Wreckreational

nice one, thanks.
    i hear Switz is really expensive but do you think I'd be ok for the two weeks on 1300-1600?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

yeah Switzerland is dear enough but about the same as Dublin! You'll be grand with €1300

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Wreckreational

great thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Oranage

You should cut it down to 3-4 citys and just buy train tickets at the train station to the next location. And it shouldnt cost more than 2K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭moomoo2007

Furthermore to that question how would one need when going for a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Id think about 50-60 euro a day would be ok, incl. hostels, food, touristy things like city tours so for a month surely about 2 grand would be enough??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 St. Robbie

Anyone think I would get away going Interrailing for a month with around €400, I have the ticket already for thet train and flights over, would it be possible to sleep rough for a while and spend the bare minimum on food and drink. Starting in Amsterdam going up towards Berlin and back doen towards the Prague direction. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I would say no not a chance, unless you are planning on doing a roma gypsy job on it and moving to other countries to live on roundabouts and what not, begging in traffic and that

A hostel alone in places like Amsterdam can easily cost €25 a night or more, your budget of around €13 a day would barely be enough for food

Living rough in a lot of these places (especially Amsterdam in my experiences would be dangerous and stupid)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jdc3

I am heading interrailing for 35 days, i have all my hostels, flights and train tickets paid for, all I need to know is how much spending money I would need for 35 days roughly.
    I am spending
    6 days in Germany
    3 Days in Prague
    2 days in Vienna
    3 days in Krakaw
    2 days in Budapest
    3 days in Belgrade
    3 days in Zagreb
    13 days in the Islands of Croatia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

jdc3 wrote: »
    I am heading interrailing for 35 days, i have all my hostels, flights and train tickets paid for, all I need to know is how much spending money I would need for 35 days roughly.
    I am spending
    6 days in Germany
    3 Days in Prague
    2 days in Vienna
    3 days in Krakaw
    2 days in Budapest
    3 days in Belgrade
    3 days in Zagreb
    13 days in the Islands of Croatia
    Fifteen hundred to two grand i'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kodmuffin

i would disagree with the person who has prebooked everything hostelwise-personaly i dont think thats the best way to enjoy interrailing-book your 1st hostel and have a rough plan done-but apart from that be flexible by a day or two in each place and dont tie yourself down too much-youl meet great people and see great places along the way so thats why i say dont tie yourself down-book your 1st hostel grand-but what we used to do was before we left each city we would book the hostel in the next city-hostel arent realy like hotels where the price changes the later you book them

in relation to the price-i went from amsterdam,berlin,krakow,prague,budapest,dubrovnik,ljubiana,lake bled,venice and then rome

-my budget was exactly 50 euro per day(that paid for hostels,various activities and tours in each city and eating out for dinner and buying stuff to make sambos for lunch)
    in amsterdam you will blow this (seen as some hostels cost 40 per night) but you make up for this in the cheaper places
    we didnt splash out big time but we also didnt play it cheap-so you can spend what you want realy!
    enjoy it!

Advertisement