Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Offshores and being blown out to the sea

Options
  • 09-05-2008 4:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

ok so when you're out back waiting for waves, if the tide is going out, or the offshore wind is strong, will you drift further and further out if you just sit there? Is it hard to paddle back in when the tide is going out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

This exact thing happened me and im sure it'll happen to every surfer atleast once. Heavy offshore winds. Sat for literally a minute maybe 2, looked back to shore realising I was a good 300m - 400m further out than i was.

That was pretty much the scariest single thing that has happened to me while surfing. I knew it wasn't a rip so I paddled constantly for about 40mins straight to shore. Finally caught a wave that brought me the last 100m straight to the sand. Very scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

It's much scarier than a rip because you know that a rip will fade out in deep waters.

I was once told a story by a top Irish old-time surfer where he and his buddies were blown 7 miles(!!!) out to sea by a strong offshore wind. The helicopter found them on it's final pass and rescued them. He said they had to leave their boards behind which they weren't too happy about but later that night in the pub some fisherman asked them where they were rescued from and told them where they'd find their boards at low tide. So they went to where the fishermen told them to go at low tide the next day and found the four boards lying on the beach :)

Another incident I know of was when a bunch of guys brought a buddy out surfing for his first time in strong offshore winds. It was a reef/point too and not small so he sat there for the session just watching, except he sat with his board in the air. Eventually he got blown out about a mile to sea, his buddies didn't seem to really care, they got out of the water. A guy I know who is a lifeguard paddled out to him and helped him back in.

That guys problem was that he was sitting with a big board in the air which was acting like a sail. If your out in strong offshores it's best to stay as low as possible to minimise how much the wind can blow you. Also keep a close eye on the shore and use line-up markers to your sides if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Enygma wrote: »

I was once told a story by a top Irish old-time surfer where he and his buddies were blown 7 miles(!!!) out to sea by a strong offshore wind. The helicopter found them on it's final pass and rescued them. He said they had to leave their boards behind which they weren't too happy about but later that night in the pub some fisherman asked them where they were rescued from and told them where they'd find their boards at low tide. So they went to where the fishermen told them to go at low tide the next day and found the four boards lying on the beach :)

Lol I heard that one too, from Tom Hickey as I recall, good story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

That's the man! :) Tis a good story alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Still though 7miles is pretty, excuse the phrase, gnarley.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Yeah I've been out a few times where you get a fair bit out, it's normally not a biggie. Just stay cool and don't freak out, paddle back in. A good reason to always tell someone where you're going surfing so at least someone knows you're missing and to look for you.
    Got to always be aware of your surroundings, if in doubt don't go out.
    Title of this thread needs to be changed in fairness, don't want to be scaring off newbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Title changed.

Yeah the main thing is not to freak out, and just keep paddling back in, dont stop for a breather just keep going.
    It sometimes happens on a beach break, that at the change of tides, or a sudden drop in swell, that you find yourself suddenly very far out past the break as well. Coupled with the offshores, its always a pain to get back in.
    Then again, on a reef break, you have the advantage of always knowing exactly where you are. Drifting out is noticed immediately. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    Title changed.

Yeah the main thing is not to freak out, and just keep paddling back in, dont stop for a breather just keep going.
    It sometimes happens on a beach break, that at the change of tides, or a sudden drop in swell, that you find yourself suddenly very far out past the break as well. Coupled with the offshores, its always a pain to get back in.
    Then again, on a reef break, you have the advantage of always knowing exactly where you are. Drifting out is noticed immediately. :)

Yeah not panicking is the way to go. It happened to a friend and I recently enough. He panicked and hopped off the board and tried to swim back, we were quite a bit out. I eventually persuaded him to get back on his board and just keep paddling. I felt fine when we got back in but he had to lie down of a while because he was so wrecked from trying to swim first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Happened to myself last year. Found myself with a lapse of concentration, was admiring the sunset off of Ardmore of all places after a storm, and found that I'd drifted quite a bit out the back. Spent the next 25 minutes hard paddling to get back in! Thankfully mates with me on the day, didn't need a hand but glad they were there just in case. Spooked me a bit, but taught me just to relax and not get too excited.....paddle, paddle, paddle!!

Bloody knackered when I finally caught one that took me in. Took a few pints that night to settle ther nerves, but went back a while later on the tail of another big swell to bury the demons!!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I preferred my title :'(

• Advertisement

I got 2 pms from users who were wondering did anybody die at sea and if was still safe to surf in Ireland! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    I got 2 pms from users who were wondering did anybody die at sea and if was still safe to surf in Ireland! ;)

That's a good one LOL!
    Has a surfer ever died in the water in ireland?
    I don't know of any. Anyone else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

surely they have, I've nearly died in strandhill once, and so has my mate. I'd be surprised if a few didn't die every year?

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    surely they have, I've nearly died in strandhill once, and so has my mate. I'd be surprised if a few didn't die every year?
    Hell no.
    About once or twice every few years people will be rescued by the coastguard, but as far as I know nobody has died surfing in Ireland, thank heavens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 high-pockets

People have died surfing in Ireland.

One was not surfing related, he just happened to be surfing at the time and the other Im a little unsure of details but as far as I can remember, it was a large enough day in the Nw the man was concused and drowned.

It can happen very quickly unfortunalty. I do think all students should be given some sort of 1st aid training in school. That day we waited over an hour for an ambulance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I do think all students should be given some sort of 1st aid training in school.

Agreed. You can do courses, they are not that expensive. I have done some, well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 high-pockets

I have done, Im saying it should be thought in schools while they have a captive audience

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I have done, Im saying it should be thought in schools while they have a captive audience

They did it in our school as part of transition year and we had to go for the cert at the end of it. Not that I remember any of it now, that was almost 8 years ago. I should really have kept at it, it would be good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

c - 13 wrote: »
    Not that I remember any of it now

You'd be surprised, I'd say you could at least clear an airway, put someone in a half decent recovery position, apply direct pressure to a wound....

Advertisement