Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting paid 6 years worth of wages in 1 week....

• 09-05-2008 6:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Just came across this list of how much players earn per week.

It'd take me about 6 years to earn what Kaka does in a week! :eek:

Most shocking name on the list? Darren Bent at number 19. What a joke that he gets that much. An absolute spoofer of the highest order.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

are these figures before or after tax ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Pretty sure they're before tax but the website I took it from didn't specify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Xavi6 wrote: »

Most shocking name on the list? Darren Bent at number 19. What a joke that he gets that much. An absolute spoofer of the highest order.
    yeah a total joke. earning hundreds of thousands more than berba, keane or king each year and barely getting a game. must be laughing all the way to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Well i would be happy to have my yearly salary as their weekly:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Why are so many players tied on the same amount? (C. Ronaldo, Henry and Gerrard for instance) Is there a set wage structure that all clubs must adhere to or something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

IMO the biggest joke on the list is Harry Kewell - I would love to know how many games he has played in the last 4 years??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Why are so many players tied on the same amount? (C. Ronaldo, Henry and Gerrard for instance) Is there a set wage structure that all clubs must adhere to or something?

Yeah,i wanted to ask same

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

maybe there all have same agents/agency that works to certain structures when working pay deals?!?!?

dunno was thinking why aswell...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Bears no relation to this list, so :confused:

http://www.thepicky.com/sports/highest-paid-football-players-in-the-world/

Also, that some players in the UK (Sterling area) show an identical amount to ones in the Euro area is a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'd imagine its cause whoever compiled the site info, isnt exactly 100% sure so there was a certain amount of guesstimating involved.

Just looking at it there. Its inaccurate too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

IMO the biggest joke on the list is Harry Kewell - I would love to know how many games he has played in the last 4 years??

A liverpool fan this morning told me it was 81 games since he signed in 2003 and apparently 30 of those were his first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Michael Owen €107,100!!!! Fúckr doesn't deserve €700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

jameshayes wrote: »
    Well, when he's fit he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Kewell has cost liverpool something in the region of 200k per game that he has played for the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Most depressing thread ever, best not dwell on it everyone vastly overpaid but Kewell and Bent wtf, still if they get away with I suppose you can't blame them. It's the players that are getting paid foo feck all that's as annoying. I remember clubs like Leeds paying Seth Johnston 40k a week long after he stopped playing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

typical, 4 of the top 7 are chelski players! some of those wages are just astronomically rediculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I dont belive this list is in anyway accurate - it looks like some of those fugures were plucked out of the air.

1: Torress took a pay cut to come to Liverpool and he was on £110,000 at Atletico.
    2: Do you really think that Darren Bent could ask for that much with a straight face and anyone would be stupid enough to pay it.
    3. If DB was being paid that much do you really think he would be on at least 20,000 more than Keane, Berbatov or Woodgate

EDIT: Dont Real have a pay structure where all their top starts are on the one salary to keep them all happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Biggest farce of all time that Kewell is on that money.
    If I was a liverpool supporter Id be majorly pissed off.
    That money could pay the wages of a very good player.

I see he rejected his latest contract offer, which would give reduced wages so looks like he's out this season. Good riddance. He hasnt played a good game in the last 6 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Biggest farce of all time that Kewell is on that money.
    If I was a liverpool supporter Id be majorly pissed off.
    That money could pay the wages of a very good player.

I see he rejected his latest contract offer, which would give reduced wages so looks like he's out this season. Good riddance. He hasnt played a good game in the last 6 years

Kewell was/is a very good player. He's just had a hell of a lot of injuries. Nothing he can really do about that is there? Do you feel the same about Damien Duff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

It cost me 5euro a week to play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

jameshayes wrote: »

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Was reading an article in FIFA magazine earlier (i was on a plane) the real ronaldo (as in the washed up guy) was earning....sorry collecting 500k per month with AC milan....and he still can only afford ugly man-hookers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Ferdinand on 95k according to the list... i'm pretty sure he commands more than that. i thought 120?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

What a ****ing joke....nobody deserves this much money for doing something which probably comes naturally to them.

Actors IMO deserve their money, its very tough, footballers do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Actors IMO deserve their money, its very tough,

lol, stage actors maybe... but film actors, getting paid millions to play the same characters over and over again. lol

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

This whole thread is BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

lol, stage actors maybe... but film actors, getting paid millions to play the same characters over and over again. lol

:rolleyes:

Its much harder to break through in movies...the lifestyle is much tougher than a footballers life.

Have you seen a footballers daily schedule? even Keane pointed out the ease of it. In at 10, home at 2. Easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Footballers get paid massives wages , Who'd have thought it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Its much harder to break through in movies...the lifestyle is much tougher than a footballers life.

Thats why colin farrel gave up football and went to films :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

How come Messi isnt on the list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Almost as annoying is the like of Sonko fined 2 weeks wages 50k for refusing to play for the reserves then appeals on the grounds that his head isn't right to play in the reserves. 25k a week ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Have you seen a footballers daily schedule? even Keane pointed out the ease of it. In at 10, home at 2. Easy.

What about the fact that footballers have at best 10-13 years of a career?
    Actors can work for their entire lives

Or the sacrifices they have to make, no drinking, watching what they eat, not allowed take up any risky hobbies etc.

I think its deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Its crazy money but lets not forget how globalised soccer has become. Like any globalised business a worker's pay is relative to how indespensible they are to the company. If Kaka costs Milan £7.6m per year you can be damn sure Milan are making a few million more off him in replica shirt sales etc.

That doesn't mean I agree with the scale of the pay though :(.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

cost liverpool something like £150,000 per game he played. ty Houllier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The value of money is relative. Paying attention to what people in an entirely different profession to you earn is going to be a waste of your time most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I think the most surprising on that list is Sol Campbell on £105,000 at a small club like Portsmouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That list has been dismissed as crap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sure didn't Carra and Gerrard get the same wage deal last time?? Carra isn't even on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

carra doesnt get quite as much as gerrard afaik, but there is not a lot in the difference and he would definately feature on the list.

the list is bull**** lads, some loser just made it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

That list doesn't look right, I thought Luca Toni was one of the highest paid players on around €200k per week pre tax due to the very high tax rate in Germany?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Jazzy wrote: »
    cost liverpool something like £150,000 per game he played. ty Houllier

Yeah there was an article in one of the papers last week that said the total amount Liverpool have laid out on Kewell, including transfer fee, wages and bonuses, was €25 million.

This equates to roughly €200 grand per game played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

bucks73 wrote: »
    Yeah there was an article in one of the papers last week that said the total amount Liverpool have laid out on Kewell, including transfer fee, wages and bonuses, was €25 million.

This equates to roughly €200 grand per game played.

He's gone at the end of the season though isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Marq wrote: »
    yeah a total joke. earning hundreds of thousands more than berba, keane or king each year and barely getting a game. must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Well King hardly gets a game either, bent has deserved his wages ahead of King this season.

Advertisement