Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems making stop-motion DVD

Options
  • 09-05-2008 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I used an SLR camera to take the stills for a stop motion animation. I then used Windows Movie Maker for Windows Vista Home Basic to make it into an animation, saving it in wmv (DVD-Quality) format. 3154kbps, 720x576. I then used Ulead DVD Movie Factory 5 to burn it to DVD (Windows Movie Maker for Vista Home Basic does not have DVD burning capabilities) at maximum bitrate. One problem is that Movie Factory doesn't open the file correctly - although in Movie Maker it is 4:3, when I open it in Movie Factory it has black strips down the sides, so the video is distorted. The next problem is that the resulting DVD isn't great quality - compression is quite obvious.

My question: Is there any other software (preferably free) that I could use, as the combination I am currently using doesn't seem to work very well.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

RE: the compression, you might have an option when exporting/saving the movie in Windows Movie Maker to save as DV-AVI (it's there in the XP version anyway), it might play nicer with the DVD app... worth a shot if you haven't already.

MediaCoder is a good free app, which you might use as a bridge between the two programs you're using... whether converting to a format the Ulead program likes more, or cropping the video to a wide aspect before import.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

In case it interests anyone, I got around this problem by using the excellent (and free) VirtualDub software to make the animation as an AVI file (and then Ulead Movie Factory was able to burn it to a DVD).

Other free software for putting the images together as an AVI video that I found (but for various reasons didn't use) are MonkeyJam and MakeAVI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Oh yeah I've used virtualdub alright, didn't think of suggesting it though! :/

Advertisement