Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matt Cooper's article on The North Mon

Options
  • 09-05-2008 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Has anybody read the article in today's Examiner by Matt Cooper.
    A piece on alleged physical abuse in the North Mon. As usual with such pieces, it didn't happen to him, but to a friend of his!

Now, I realise people got a slap and a thump from time to time, but this article makes the place sound like a concentration camp and that it was unlike what went on in every other school in the country at the time.

I think Matt Cooper has done the school and the Christian Brothers a disservice by this piece. They are by no means perfect, but they were not all bad either.

See the article here:
    http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=opinion-qqqm=opinion-qqqa=general-qqqid=62296-qqqx=1.asp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

They were not all bad but they certainly had some sadistic members in the 70's. If they were around today they would have been arrested for assault and rightly so.
    I accept that there must be some form of punishment in schools but beating the s*** out of some 7 year old young fella cant be the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

speaking as someone who attended a christian brothers school but not the one in question i can vouch for the sadism of some of them - quite simply they would be serving extremely long custodial sentences if (and they should have) faced a criminal court.

i know they were not all the same - i myself was beaten twice by the same christian (?) brother while at school - once aged 14 and he used his fists.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

who_ru wrote: »
    speaking as someone who attended a christian brothers school but not the one in question i can vouch for the sadism of some of them - quite simply they would be serving extremely long custodial sentences if (and they should have) faced a criminal court.

i know they were not all the same - i myself was beaten twice by the same christian (?) brother while at school - once aged 14 and he used his fists.

same here buddy

Advertisement