Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dampness in bedroom (new house)

Options
  • 09-05-2008 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've noticed a lot of mildew recently in our main ensuite bedroom (on furniture, mattress, pictures, even clothes in the walk in wardrobe).
    I can't understand how there could be dampness in the room because it's the only bedroom being used in the house and it's the only room (upstairs or downstairs) where I've noticed this problem.
    Would appreciate any advice.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Is this a new house? Problem could be caused due to a lack of airflow or ventalation in the room, is there vents fitted? Could be coming from frequent showers in the ensuite without the window open maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Conditions that suit mildew. Warm, dark & humid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Is there a gutter on the outside of the wall where this damp is forming? if so, check the gutter and downpipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 scalerb

Warm wet air will move from kitchen , bathroom and anywhere else to cooler parts of house ,ventalation of the warm wet rooms and keeping the heat up in the bedroom should help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Definetly check your ventilation ,maybe you have a closable vent somewhere.

Also check your windows ,they might have vents which are closed also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Make sure you never block the vents. Its tempting to when the wind is howling through them, but this is key, and do not dry clothes on radiators either. Make sure you open your windows through out the day to allow fresh air to circulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 daisychain

We have mildew patches on the bedroom wall around the vent. I was told it is caused by steam escaping from the ensuite heading straight for the vent. Since being told this, I always open the ensuite window after having a shower and this has helped enormously but my other half is still a divil for just getting in the shower and leaving the door open between the bedroom and the ensuite. Showering with the window open is probably a better option

Advertisement