Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband cancelled by another provider

Options
  • 09-05-2008 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi All

Can someone tell me how it is possible for my broadband connection to be cancelled by another provider when I have not authorised it - or have not spoken to anyone about phone/broadband providers recently - other than to order an upgrade from my existing provider?

Paddyo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It shouldn't be possible, but it can be done. If a 2nd provider claims you authorised a transfer, then it can go ahead, and has been known to happen. eircom will not check directly with you before authorising a line transfer, they work on the assumption that the other operator is not lying. Of course, there are many unscrupulous operators in Ireland who'll sign customers up, even though the customer never authorised it.

Has this actually happened to you, or are you just suspicious of something? Have you gotten any calls from other operators recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Has it happened to me?

That is the question. Yesterday, my upgrade speed showed on my Adsl Adaptor but I was not being issued with an IP address. I rang the tech support who said that the upgrade had not been completed and he put me through to sales. Sales gave me a new username and password - still no joy.

I could go on about how long I then waited for tech support and was then told that support stops at 9:00pm - but I wont :)

This morning I was told that my broadband had been cancelled yesterday by another operator, but they could not tell me operator. They got someone in sales to call me back who said that they might be wrong - although she did ask me who I was transferring from and I had to explain to her that I had been with her company for 2 years and was not transferring from anyone.

I am now waiting for anoher call to see what is happening. I was told it could take 5 days to get my broadband back.

I know the above is a bit long winded and convoluted - sorry about that

Paddyo

Advertisement