Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Junction Outside Beacon Hotel

Options
  • 09-05-2008 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Has anybody noticed the increasing ammout of people who are ignoring the lane layout outside the beacon hotel as you turn into sandyford industrial estate?

For those who are not familiar with the junction, as you approach from the M50 there are three lanes. The centre and right hand lanes are for people turning right into Sandyford industrial estate, the left hand lane is for people turning left for Ballaly or going straight on for Kilmacud.

As I live near Kilmacud I go straight on and therefore, as the road markings indicate, stay in the left hand lane. But more and more people are using the centre lane to go straight on and then merge at the traffic lights, which because of some idiotic light sequences means that only 4-5 cars get through at a time. So if you are following the rules of the road it can take you 10-15mins to get through the junction!

And more worryingly still, people are coming down the centre lane, skipping the entire queue of traffic and then turn left! Cutting across a lane of traffic to do so!!

Is there someone we can call? Gardai, County Council, Ghostbusters? There's a good chance there'll be a bad accident there at some stage in the future!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Complain to them all -RSA, Co.Co. NRA, nothing to lose.

I think the problem is in heavy traffic, you can't see the lane arrows untill it is too late as they are covered in traffic.

Although at this junction there I think there *is* a sign beforehand; in that case, no excuse for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

Yes but if you have used the junction once or twice you'll surely be aware of the layout the next time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

gerardk55 wrote: »
    Yes but if you have used the junction once or twice you'll surely be aware of the layout the next time!

I agree, especially as you will have queued for ages in a right turn lane to go straight.

Do you know if there is a sign before the junction, I haven't been there lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The left lane used to be a left turn only, I used to use it for going straight to Clonskeagh as you had no chance in the middle lane as everybody was turning right into the estate. Then I was pulled by the Gardai one day. A week later the road was remarked with the left lane now for left turns and straight on and the middle and right for estate. You really get the feeling they make this stuff up as they go along, idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

The junction at the roundabout preceding this road is also a mess. This is the slip road that runs paralell to the M50 if you are coming from Ballinteer and turning left into the Industrial Estate or going on straight to the M50 Southbound. There are two lanes clearly marked to turn left and one to go straight. The amount of times I have nearly been clipped by some idiot in the extreme left lane, cutting across the second left turning lane and in to the lane to go straight is unbelievable.

• Advertisement

There is a sign as you approach the junction but the markings on the raod are quiet close the junction.

I think what they need is a fourth lane for people turning left to Ballaly.

But this doesn't excsue some of the ignorant behaviour of drivers at the junction.

The pedestrian don't help much either but that's another story!

The left lane used to be a left turn only

That would explain a lot.:)
    There are two lanes clearly marked to turn left and one to go straight.

Yes, when I use that roundabout, it's generally to go straight. I hate the fact that I have to queue with the estate traffic until the lanes split at the very end. Again, unless you are clairvoyant, you can't tell what the lanes are for until the end where the arrows on the road are.
    But this doesn't excsue some of the ignorant behaviour of drivers at the junction.

I think bad signage coupled with the change SD mentioned are more to blame than the drivers.

In fairness stevec the junction was revised well before Christmas, how many times do you need to use a junction before you cop on what lane you should be in?

In fairness stevec the junction was revised well before Christmas, how many times do you need to use a junction before you cop on what lane you should be in?

I'm not disagreeing with you.

It doesn't make sense to queue in a right turn lane to go straight when the straight + left lane would be quicker. I am concluding from that that the people doing it are simply not aware of the layout.

I've not been there in rush hour, only occasionally at around 10 of 11 in the morning - even at that time it takes about 3 turns of the lights to get into the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The junction at the roundabout preceding this road is also a mess. This is the slip road that runs paralell to the M50 if you are coming from Ballinteer and turning left into the Industrial Estate or going on straight to the M50 Southbound. There are two lanes clearly marked to turn left and one to go straight. The amount of times I have nearly been clipped by some idiot in the extreme left lane, cutting across the second left turning lane and in to the lane to go straight is unbelievable.

In fairness, it's quite counter-intuitive to be in the most right-hand lane of three when you're going straight through a roundabout. If I remember correctly, they are not marked until very close to the junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

This junction drives me mad.

The drivers that come down the centre lane and cut in, neatly skipping all the traffic in the left lane know EXACTLY what they are doing.

I have no problem blocking them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

eoin_s wrote: »
    In fairness, it's quite counter-intuitive to be in the most right-hand lane of three when you're going straight through a roundabout. If I remember correctly, they are not marked until very close to the junction.

You're right they are not marked until you reach the top, it would be impossible to do so as it is a two lane carriageway that divides up in to three at the top, but is it not counter-intuitive to be in the extreme left of three lanes if you wish to go straight, ahem, in fairness. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You're right they are not marked until you reach the top, it would be impossible to do so as it is a two lane carriageway that divides up in to three at the top, but is it not counter-intuitive to be in the extreme left of three lanes if you wish to go straight, ahem, in fairness. ;)

Maybe, though the left hand lane is normally correct for going straight through a roundabout, as is the second lane when there are two exit lanes. The extreme right is not, and you would have to know that junction to know that the lanes you would normally use are not the correct ones.

Nothing a road sign or two wouldn't solve, which I don't think they have in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I cant see why anyone obeys lanes and signs. Theres always some idiot that lets people merge back in after clearly skipping down buslanes or right turn lanes. These people dont seem to realise that they have sat in traffic longer because other idiots are ahead of them letting people back in when they are skipping ques.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

That junction is a pain. It wont be long before its changed again, or better still stop people using the middle lane from going straight, all it needs is a bollard.

quarryman wrote: »
    The drivers that come down the centre lane and cut in, neatly skipping all the traffic in the left lane know EXACTLY what they are doing.

I had (wrongly) assumed the left lane had less traffic than the 2 lanes going into the estate.

Now I understand the frustration better.

Stekelly wrote: »
    I cant see why anyone obeys lanes and signs. Theres always some idiot that lets people merge back in after clearly skipping down buslanes or right turn lanes. These people dont seem to realise that they have sat in traffic longer because other idiots are ahead of them letting people back in when they are skipping ques.

Anarchy FTW..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

stevec wrote: »
    I had (wrongly) assumed the left lane had less traffic than the 2 lanes going into the estate.

Now I understand the frustration better.
    I've only been there twice, both times at or around 7pm, and the left lane was chock-a-block with traffic, and the lights only letting 3 or 4 cars through at a time whereas the two right-turn lanes were completely empty. Didn't see any lane hoppers though. It must have taken me at least 5 or 6 light changes to get through. I'd imagine the situation might be different in the morning rush-hour though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I use this junction going to and from work. I don't have a big gripe with it really. My concern is more with the lane markings at and on the roundabout. As you head South for the M50 (N) you must enter the roundabout in the right lane. You are then led into a lane that brings you right around the roundabout (180 degree turn) - to come off for the M50 you must change lanes and run the risk of hitting people also heading for the M50N but in the incorrect lane!

You lost me there - are you talking about entering the roundabout from the beacon direction or from the ballinteer / dundrum direction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

oh god this junction drives me insane. I travel home to clonskeagh from meath. with luck I can get to the Beacon junction in 1 hour but then it can take 20mins to slowly make my way up the left lane while thugs whizz by in the middle (right turn only) lane and then go straight. Who can do something about this????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

You lost me there - are you talking about entering the roundabout from the beacon direction or from the ballinteer / dundrum direction?

You gotta see it to understand;)

I too travel this junction to and from work each day so get to see all referenced - the wonky roundabout when heading for M50 North and the Beacon junction where left lane is left and straight.

As soon as they changed the junction layout (left lane left and straight thingy) I rang Dundrum guard's and asked him who would be in wrong if someone in middle lane cut me up and went straight - I explained re giving way to right etc etc - and he said that they would be because they illegally cut across you from wrong lane. He also said they would not get involved unless someone was injured but that they would give you letter for insurance etc etc if needed. Some nights when coming home after long day I think of what I will do if someone cuts me up tonight - and I is going straight into the side of them:eek:

Worst still was during operation no-flow they had a guard standing in junction and he was watching them cutting across from middle lane into Drummartin Link road and was doing sweet fanny adams about it - that really annoyed me:mad:

Anyway - if its bad and well after 6 I just go down middle and turn right thru the Ind estate and go long way around back to where I live off Upr Kilmacud Rd - much quicker and moving all the way. Before 6 forget it cause ind est it choca.

My thoughts:D

You gotta see it to understand;)

I see it twice a day, every day.

Thankfully in the opposite direction to most of the traffic - I head south to Bray each morning. ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Coming from the Beacon direction. For thise not aware...
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.271556,-6.219276&spn=0.001492,0.005021&t=h&z=18

At the westbound exit, the two leftmost lanes are to exit the roundabout, the right lane is to continue around the roundabout. Coming onto the roundabout, the arrows (and the ROTR) tell you to keep in the right lane but this lane does not let you exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Know the place kbannon. Used it last summer on the commute home from work.

Was there a stage when the lane markings from the furthest right lane led to the middle lane on the roundabout?

That would make most sense, as the left lane for going m50 southbound, all these would turn off. Middle lane at lights then becomes left lane, for going straight (or continuing to M50 north). Right lane becomes middle lane, for exiting M50. With right lane (inside) for continuing around and back towards ind est. All other approaches would fit in with this I think.

I'm nearly sure the lane markings were like this at one stage because I followed lane markings from inside-middle lane every day and got cut off by people going middle-middle, rather than middle-left.

Oh, and then there's the people who come up the inside all the way around and try burn past you on the change of the lights to get onto the M50 north, insteasd of just sitting in the traffic like everyone else! now is a time for rolleyes!!

Advertisement