Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Ensuite sink

Options
  • 09-05-2008 10:36am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    My en suite wash hand basin is cracked and need to be replaced.

Do i replace the whole lot including the pedestal. Is the pedestal universal in that it will fit many different basins.

I presume i'll need a plumber as their are copper pipes attached to the sink and qualpex.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

kikel wrote: »
    Hey all,
    My en suite wash hand basin is cracked and need to be replaced.

Do i replace the whole lot including the pedestal. Is the pedestal universal in that it will fit many different basins.

I presume i'll need a plumber as their are copper pipes attached to the sink and qualpex.

If you can repair a laptop you can replace a sink.
    Chances are the new sink wont fit the old pedestal, and you might not be able to buy them separately.
    Turn off the water first.
    Run the taps dry (both hot and cold).
    Disconnect the taps from the sink.
    Remove sink/pedestal.
    dry fit new sink and pedestal and offer up the pipes to the taps (in the new sink)
    If they fit then bobs your uncle, if they dont then I would get some flexible hose pipe and cut the existing copper so the hose fits easily between the copper and the tap.
    Where is the qualpex? I am assuming the copper is jointed to the qualpex and then the qualpex connects to the tap?
    If you could take a pic it would help describe what to do, but you can also google it. There are a million articles on it out there.

Best of luck.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

GreeBo wrote: »
    Where is the qualpex? I am assuming the copper is jointed to the qualpex and then the qualpex connects to the tap?

Best of luck.

Exactly, My fear is that the copper won't fit then new sink. Can i replace this with qualpex instead or is it meant to be done with copper.

just to clarify. Is it the copper or the qualpex that connects to the tap?
    If its qualpex and it totally doesnt fit then you need to get pipe cutter (u can use a copper cutter on qualpex, DONT use a hacksaw or anything else, its vital the cut is clean and straight)

The easiest option might just be to get the flexible wire pipes, again its hard to comment without seeing it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

qualpex comes out of floor and connects to copper pipe which connects to sin Their is a bend also in the coper pipe to make it fit.

kikel wrote: »
    qualpex comes out of floor and connects to copper pipe which connects to sin Their is a bend also in the coper pipe to make it fit.

Depending on the length of copper Id just replace it with some flexible hosing. Its much, much simpler. You will see it in every European & American city you go to, we dont seem to like it here or in the Uk though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement